According to Chrysler: Video USB on second row screens will only play AAC or MP4 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

According to Chrysler: Video USB on second row screens will only play AAC or MP4

Hello all - I'm new to the forum (but an experienced vbulletin poster) and happy to be here.

I have a new Pacifica Limited, took delivery about two weeks ago. I have two young children who watch videos when we ride and I wanted to share my experience with the video USB connection. One problem with very small children is that they can't control it themselves - you have to reach back and touch the screen and call up whatever settings you need. (I have found the remote to leave much to be desired).

But after connecting my iPad via the USB video port, I could only play music - it would not display movies that I had on the iPad via iTunes and Amazon Prime player app. After I could not get an iPad to play video through the video USB connection, I called UConnect care. The guy only had the user's guide and was little help. But I received a follow-up call from Chrysler. He explained that the video system will only play .aac and .mp4 files through the USB connection.

As I expect most people do, we play iPad videos through iTunes downloads or through our Amazon Prime app. So these video formats will not play on the Chrysler system - according to the call from Chrysler headquarters. If you're expecting to plug in your USB connection to your mobile device (phone or tablet) and play files from your iTunes video or Amazon Prime (or perhaps other services) they will not work.

There are two basic work-arounds. The first is to use the HDMI port and get a connector cable. For iPad there is a lighting port video hub you can get that has an HDMI female port. You can then get a short HDMI cable and connect directly to the Chrysler screen and use it as a mirrored display. The cons to this approach is that you can't use a single iPad to run a movie on both screens, and because it basically uses the screen like a TV, you can't control the volume with the device, you have to reach back and use the touch screen.

The other workaround is to convert the video files into the useable .aac or .mp4 format. This requires a computer, as you can't do it directly on the device . . . though there could be applications that I didn't see in my research. But using this method: How to Convert Purchased Amazon WMV Video to AVI/MP4

I haven't tried this and it is a fairly labor intensive workaround. I can't say whether it works but I don't see why it wouldn't.

I'm quite disappointed, I have to say. After all of the hype about the entertainment system, and multiple media alternatives, I fully expected to plug-and-play with my iPad using iTunes video or Amazon Prime. This is 2016, right? I just wonder how much development they actually did with real consumers in mind? These days, it's all about mobile (I figure the DVD player is just to allow people to still use their old media but few are buying new DVD these days) and I can't believe that they would market a USB connection that wouldn't natively play from the most common video sources (e.g. iTunes and Amazon).

But I just wanted to pass along this info. Perhaps others have had different experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM

Wow that pretty much sucks for $1975 or $2795 (whichever package you bought). I have been on the fence as to whether or not to get the package for the 2nd row seats vs simply just getting some iPad holders and wireless headphones for the iPads. My kids are very young so they won't be controlling the system for probably 2-3 years.

I am curious to see/hear how your workaround works out for you and if you get used to it and its capabilities.
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:17 PM

I agree with you they should have designed this package as a 2017 package and allow most video formats to pass through and play on the screens. Reliance on DVD's is just a sad sad approach. I too am disappointed.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
Wow that pretty much sucks for $1975 or $2795 (whichever package you bought). I have been on the fence as to whether or not to get the package for the 2nd row seats vs simply just getting some iPad holders and wireless headphones for the iPads. My kids are very young so they won't be controlling the system for probably 2-3 years.

I am curious to see/hear how your workaround works out for you and if you get used to it and its capabilities.
The HDMI port workaround isn't too bad - in that it works with some less than ideal results. One advantage it has over the iPad holder setup is that you can control it from the front seat (just grab the iPad from the console or floor and control it) - so you can restart a movie or change if the child is complaining. But you can't control the volume from the device and you also can't charge it while in use like you can with a USB connection. That's potentially a big problem on road trips. And still need two iPads (or two of whatever hdmi source you're using).

I really would like to speak to the Chrysler team lead who developed this system and ask what the heck they were thinking. But perhaps it is something that can be resolved with a future software update.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up. After reading this I bought the Lightning to HDMI adapter and an HDMI cable. Works okay.

I've also read online that if you have an "already configured" Chromcast device it will transfer easily to a car if you have an HDMI monitor input. Might be fun to try Chromecast in the UConnect Theater HDMI port and stream wirelessly from a smartphone.
superchuck500 likes this.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 01:07 AM
gmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
But you can't control the volume from the device and you also can't charge it while in use like you can with a USB connection. That's potentially a big problem on road trips.
Wow - I assumed that you would be able to mirror the screens even through HDMI. So can you only screen mirror for a dvd and usb?

Apple makes a hdmi adapter where you can also charge your iPad/iPhone, here is one on Amazon:

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone,iPad and iPod Models (MD826ZM/A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM..._ohEFxbGG5KNY0
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM

@gmo , thanks for the link. This means you will have the hdmi connection to the monitor and a USB connection to the same monitor for charging. Is that doable? Or do you need to use another USB port that is dedicated to charging like the one in the lower section in the front center console area?
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmo View Post
Wow - I assumed that you would be able to mirror the screens even through HDMI. So can you only screen mirror for a dvd and usb?

Apple makes a hdmi adapter where you can also charge your iPad/iPhone, here is one on Amazon:

Apple Lightning Digital AV Adapter for Select iPhone,iPad and iPod Models (MD826ZM/A) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009WHV3BM..._ohEFxbGG5KNY0
It works using the hdmi port adapter - but it occupies charging/lightning port on the iOS device. So if you're mirroring via hdmi, you're on battery and not charging.

We don't let our kids use headphones yet (oldest is three and a half) so I got 3.5mm plug-in speakers for the movie audio. It works well but you can't adjust the volume with the device using the hdmi (at least not that I can figure with limited trial). It has to be done using the touch screen in the second row. If you're driving, this can be challenging even from the passenger seat.

I believe that a true USB connection would still retain that control at the device rather than merely a 'video out' arrangement.

Last edited by superchuck500; 07-07-2016 at 12:28 PM.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM
gmo

Yes, you can charge and use the hdmi at the same time. You just need to plug into any USB charge port.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 03:17 PM

@gmo .. sorry if this is stupid question but some of the USB ports are media ports that charge and other USB ports are specific charge ports.

The USB media ports that charge INSTANTLY starts streaming music or whatever when it is plugged in (try that with the USB port on the upper section of the center console in the first row)

Are the ports the are on the 2nd row screens Charge ports or Media/Charge ports. I ask because I am not sure if it is a Media/Charge port if it will override the HDMI thinking you are plugging in something else to play media from.

Hope that makes sense.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page