Cruise control concerns - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Cruise control concerns

We just purchased our 2017 Pacifica L-Plus and I'm wondering if anyone is having the same issue as us. When using the cruise control at say 50 mph, and cresting a hill, the van will accelerate to at least 5 mph over our set speed and the rpm's will jump to around 4000 and stay there for a bit. I've never had another vehicle do this. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it normal? The dealership has already taken it back and put us in a loaner, but I'm trying to prepare myself for a "that's normal" response.
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:14 PM

I have 4,300 miles on my Limited and have NEVER experienced anything remotely close to what you're describing.

However, I never use the standard Cruise control, having the Advanced safety package I use ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). So my results may differ unless you have that too.

Life is one decision after another - Man up!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

I do not have the ACC option. This is not how I wanted to start my experience with Chrysler.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 09-24-2016, 06:10 PM

cruise control

I havent had this happen but I dont use the normal cruise control either.I have had other cars that will vary speeds going up hills.My 2008 gmc acadia did this when it would downshift depending how big of a hill it was.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:23 PM

I had a similar experience yesterday. Brought to my attention by a Washington State Patrol. It was our first long trip in our Touring L Plus. Definitely does not control speed going down hill. I saw the same thing - it appears to downshift (RPMs go up to 3500). but picks up speed. After explaining the scenario - he gave me a warning and suggested I don't use the cruise control. NEVER had a car do such a poor job on downhills. My wifes BMW will actually slow the car down by playing with the valve timing. I'll admit I expected more from the new fangled Pacifica.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your troubles. I don't want to minimize your concerns but I'd like to state that the Adaptive cruise control actually does brake the van when going down hill. Many times I cancel the cruise so I can coast to improve MPG.

I believe the acceleration you're experiencing is a trait of the 9 speed transmission. When downshifting it has to change to neutral for a 1/2 second so the dog clutches (2 sets of them) can sync (lock) into each other. When slowing down to a stop sign (on level ground) without braking you can feel the "free wheeling" happening at about 45 MPH and again at 25 MPH (2 sets of dog clutches). It is the price we pay for 9 speeds, though I've never had mine shift into 9th gear.

It bothered me for the first 2k miles because it felt different than any transmission downshift I ever had. But now I'm used to it. Maybe because I now know why it is happening. Still wondering how it's going to be in winter driving.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 01:14 AM

Garage
I've had the cruise control act like that in other vehicles, so I always disabled it in hills. Our stable includes a 10-year old Town & Country and the 2017 Pacifica Limited. I'm disappointed the transmissions in both Chrysler vehicles provide no engine coupling to aid deceleration (or vehicle hold-back when going downhill). As if the engineers did all their testing driving back and forth across Nebraska.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy3610 View Post
We just purchased our 2017 Pacifica L-Plus and I'm wondering if anyone is having the same issue as us. When using the cruise control at say 50 mph, and cresting a hill, the van will accelerate to at least 5 mph over our set speed and the rpm's will jump to around 4000 and stay there for a bit. I've never had another vehicle do this. Is anyone else having this issue? Is it normal? The dealership has already taken it back and put us in a loaner, but I'm trying to prepare myself for a "that's normal" response.
I have a Ltd with ACC and standard cruise modes. It holds very close to the set speed in either mode regardless of terrain. Do you get the same behavior at different set speeds? if you don't get satisfaction, take the service manager to a hill it does it on and show him. If they don't want to do anything about it, ask to see the dealership owner and do the same routine. Squeaky wheels you know.

Someone here alluded to a TCM and PCM flash on some vehicles so its possible that yours needs this done. I had a local Dodge dealer (where our warranty work has been done, but NOT where we bought the vehicle) be very persistent in running down our HID problem. There are good ones out there so don't despair.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:14 PM

That's an odd occurrence but cruise control does some silly things to maintain speed, especially on hills, but that speed differential seems pretty high, I've had it spike a mph or two over my set speed, but no more than that. Unless downhill, that's crazy the way it doesn't allow for engine braking coming downhill with the cruise on. On my last trip to Niagara, I noticed the cruise was going 10kph over as we were going downhill. Most of my other cars will use engine braking to slow going downhill.
Hills and cruise control are strange bedfellows.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-14-2016, 07:33 PM

yes mine increases almost 10 mph

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page