Is hands free door/liftgate worth it? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Is hands free door/liftgate worth it?

Debating really hard whether I should add the $795 option to Touring L Plus for hands free liftgate. Any opinions? is it worth the price? how hard are the doors and tailgate to open w/out it? is it a simple touch of the handle or key fob? we have 2 young children now and are expecting more so wondering how much of a difference hands free liftgate will make. does it add a lot of value/utility or is it more of a luxury?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:25 PM

It's pretty convenient. Not sure I would pay extra for it. I would add safetytec and theater system before the hands free.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

thanks for your thoughts. I am definitely adding advanced safety tech option to Touring L Plus, it's a non starter if the vehicle doesn't have it. Touring L Plus comes with the uconnect theater package included
BrettP likes this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 PM

I find it handy if I'm carrying stuff and don't have a free hand to use the fob. Take a little time to learn exactly where you need to kick to trigger the sensors.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 11:19 PM

I have only had my van 3 weeks now and the only time I have used them thus far is when showing off all of the gadgets the van has. I have tried to use the rear lift gate when returning to the van from grocery shopping, but after waving your foot you have to step away to give the tailgate room to open. I guess I did not give it enough room so I thought maybe I was not getting the sensor position right. Eventually I gave up and used the fob. I do have a 3 month old but we don't take her out much right now. Once we do I'm sure the hands free sensors will come in handy. I don't know that I would pay for them as an add on though.

2017 Pacifica Limited 7pax
Tusk White/Black Mocha
Safety Package, Sunroof/Moonroof, Vacuum,
Add-ons: Tinted front windows and windshield, weatherproof mats, rear bumper protector and mud flaps.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:23 AM

I got the Touring-L Plus with spare tire, NAV, hands free and wheel kit. The Advanced Saftey Tech seemed like a bunch of stuff that would get on my nerves to hear the warnings all the time. Also my father in law is a mechanic and he said the radar units in the front for the adaptive cruise control are $7000. So a relatively minor accident has the potential to total the car. Saftey Tech just seemed more like a hassle than anything.

As for hands free, it was certianly not a need. But I thought it was cool and tge wife liked it. I definately didn't think it would be useful for the kids until I showed my daughter how to use it and now I love it and I'm glad I got it. I dont much like pulling the handle out to start the electronic slide, that just feels odd to my cause it's unlatching and I feel like I should do the rest on the work. The kick under the door is mush cooler!!

Liftgate is just a touch of the button in the handle. The passenger sliding door, you have to pull the handle and open it to start the sliding action. The touch on the inside of the handles is only to unlock the car.
kentfield1951 likes this.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 12:56 AM

Shadowjig: Actually, the small rectangle button on the sliding side door handle opens and closes the doors as well. No need to pull on the handle to activate door. Note that a similar button on the front doors locks the van. My kids and I always use the button to activate the sliders rather than pull the handles.
Inga likes this.

Last edited by Nails1; 12-12-2016 at 01:00 AM.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 02:23 AM

I like the hands free, you just kick your leg and not wave it. It is pretty easy to use and save your hands save your hands when you holding the kids - but I agree it's not a must have feature, definitely.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 07:51 AM

There are a few things that I kind of wish came on our Touring-L, but this isn't one of them. I've yet to be in a situation where we could have used it. Got your arms full of groceries? We just pull up with them in a grocery cart and use the fob for either the doors or liftgate before we even reach our van. Coming out of the house with your arms loaded with stuff? Why not use the fob again before you go outside? One thing I wonder about though, if you have to get close enough to activate the hands-free sensor, wouldn't you be in the way as the liftgate opened and have to get out of the way quickly?

No, whether it's an option, or part of the package, you're paying for it one way or the other, and so to us, it's just not worth the cost.
kentfield1951 and CentralFla like this.

Don (ezdays) Day
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

I ended up getting it because I got a great deal on the vehicle. I have to say we use it almost every time we open the doors. Probably more so because it's just cool, but sometimes it is so helpful when we've got the kids in our arms. Worth 800? Probably not, but a neat feature that I'll definitely use often

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page