Engine Stop-Start - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Engine Stop-Start

Rumor is that regular gas powered Pacificas manufactured in January forward will have engine stop-start:

News | Pacifica to get stop-start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 10:02 AM

Glad I bought early. We had this in our Cherokee and it was unnerving to say the least. You could disable it, but it turned back on when you restarted and had to disable it again and again. Sorry, I'd rather sacrifice that small fraction increase in the gas mileage than go through that hesitation each time you started off from a stoplight. It's just not natural and I for one would never get use to it.
CentralFla likes this.

Don (ezdays) Day
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
Glad I bought early. We had this in our Cherokee and it was unnerving to say the least. You could disable it, but it turned back on when you restarted and had to disable it again and again. Sorry, I'd rather sacrifice that small fraction increase in the gas mileage than go through that hesitation each time you started off from a stoplight. It's just not natural and I for one would never get use to it.
Yea, I was initially thinking that it would be nice but I have a feeling it would be an annoyance, like you said. I will be in a conundrum if they start putting in the new Uconnect with Android Auto and they put in the stop-start at the same time. Definitely would prefer having android auto but not sold on stop-start. They need to make a way that you can permanently disable the stop-start in the system. Obviously, it's possible. They may have to make it that way in order for the EPA to provide a better city MPG rating.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Interesting. Maybe our 2016-built Pacificas without stop/start will be a rare and highly desirable breed!

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:25 PM

How much can the Start/Stop feature actually save on gas?

It's not a minivan it's a large wagon
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by migs View Post
How much can the Start/Stop feature actually save on gas?
A small amount. But if it gets them 1mpg better in the city, it would likely be enough to push the combined rating to 23 which would pull ahead of Honda and Toyota, at least until the new Odyssey ratings are announced.

post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:33 PM

as long as it can be disable (persistant through a restart even) then all good. If you have to hit a button or go into menu systems to disable then that is just WRONG and would be a royal PIA.
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue003 View Post
as long as it can be disable (persistant through a restart even) then all good. If you have to hit a button or go into menu systems to disable then that is just WRONG and would be a royal PIA.
It will very likely have a button to disable it like other Chrysler vehicles. However, the disable will not be persistent through a restart, so you'll have to hit the button to disable it all the time. I believe this is a requirement to get the EPA to certify the MPG numbers.

post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:37 PM

We had the stop/start in a rental car last year in Florida and it took some getting-used-to. I kept inadvertently "overriding" it though simply by "creeping" at stop signals. If the drivers in front of you creep-forward and you do the same, it will start back up again and NOT re-engage until the NEXT full-stop at another light. I guess they factored-in trying to distinguish if you're "STOPPED" at a light, or in stop-and-go traffic which would get UNUSABLE if that engaged every time.

So—at least in THAT car—if you wanted to override it... you stop at your light with "room to spare"... and when it shuts-off, creep forward a little and stop again and it will NOT shut off on you.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:26 PM

start stop

Glad mine doesnt have start stop the epa would not recognize the mileage if you could permently disable it.Any thing the goverment is involved with sometines sucks like the tire pressure monitoring system.Where I live you would have to check them everyday to keep them on 36 lbs. air pressure.On my 2013 town and country in town the econo button sucked big time but at least you could disable it if you wanted.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page