Do you regret purchasing your Pacifica? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Do you regret purchasing your Pacifica?

I am currently driving a 2015 Acura MDX with 25k miles. I love it, but with baby #3 on the way we need a van. My husband and I have located a velvet red limited with upgraded wheels, double sunroof and UConnect with 20 speakers. It's perfect. All I need to do is sign on the dotted line this Saturday......

BUT, I'm sitting here reading about all of the issues and I'm getting scared. I don't have time with a five year old, 13 month old and soon to be newborn to take my brand new 45k van in for multiple problems. Are there MORE problems with the Pacifica compared to an Odyssey or Sienna? Are the UConnect kinks worked out now? Surely there are issues on their forums as well. I have done as much research as I can with the time that I have, but hoping someone might be able to alleviate my fears....

Thank You so much for your time and insight.
post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:41 AM

It's hard to judge the overall reliability of cars based on forum complaints. For every complaint, there's thousands of non-complaints. I prefer stats over anecdotal evidence. With that said, I think you'll have to wait awhile longer to see how these cars turn out long term. If you're really risk averse, I'd recommend going with something with an established track record.

For myself, I have a 2yo and another on the way and we just got an LX. This is the first domestic car I've ever bought. It was a leap of faith but getting an extended warranty helps ease my fears a bit. I got the LX because my kids will be too small to appreciate the extra bells and whistles, plus there are fewer thing to break down lol

Tldr: I had my reservations too, but I don't regret buying a Pacifica

Last edited by Pacman; 01-11-2017 at 08:01 PM.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 AM

Ask your dealer for the build date.

This is a great forum and based on info in it, I decided to wait for the September 1 and later builds to avoid some of the issues reported and ensure I had hands-free sliding doors. I also did a lot of research on independent reviews and if you can get Advanced Safety Tec, it gives the Pacifica the top safety rating. I wouldn't hold back - it's a great car!

I did lease my Pacifica Limited - this way I have no long term commitment and the car is always under warranty.

My dealer set me up with Ally Bank. With $1,500 in rebates and a $5,250 offer from Ally (good thru Jan 31) the capitalized cost was reduced by $6,750. No cash down. Also, in leasing, you don't pay tax on the entire purchase price, but a monthly use tax - another $1200 saved.

Leasing isn't for everyone, I know, I'm trying one for the first time.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM

Don't judge by a forum that will, by its nature, naturally attract complaints and issues.

This is a good car. You cannot beat it for interior size and flexibility. Our "kid" is an 80 lb German Shepherd; we can fit an XXL dog crate in the space between the first and third row with the 2nd row folded. What remains? tremendous cargo space which can be arranged in numerous ways and/or space for two kids in the third row. Or the crate could fit behind the 2nd row and kids in that row. No other vehicle comes close.

Do you like heated leather seats? Check.
How about dual climate controls and back cabin climate controls? Check
How about the latest collision avoidance, rear avoidance, automatic parking, blind side monitoring, folding side mirrors, HID headlights? Check, check and more checks.

Its actually amusing to see families on vacay trying to stuff the kids, toys, luggage, camping stuff and supplies into an SUV, with the requisite clam-shell on top. I feel sorry for them....they could've had a Pacifica. They would have, if they had stronger egos.
Mars_D, DadBrand, soontobe and 4 others like this.

LTD, Tusk White
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:52 AM

I traded in a '13 Odyssey for my Touring L Plus and have absolutely zero regrets. The only issue I've had with mine was the rear liftgate chime and that was replaced when I took it in for the 1st oil change. Every vehicle has it's compromises and as for reliability, even Toyota & Honda have been known to make lemons. If you like the Limited then go for it and enjoy all of the things that made you fall for it in the first place. You'll be getting one of the safest vehicles in it's class for your family with tons of value-added features.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 08:56 AM

No regret whatsoever.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:15 AM

It has only been a month, but no regrets so far. I have not had any of the issues with the Uconnect theater that have plagued some users. My only (potential) regret is caving to my practical side and getting the Touring L Plus instead of a Limited...

Coming from a Town and Country the Pacifica is such a joy to drive. Springing for the Mopar backed warranty this time did add a safety blanket kind of warm feeling

Last edited by tsax6010; 01-11-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:03 AM

DadBrand, mtmgtz, coolrod and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 10:04 AM

Buy it! I had a 2014 AWD Durango and loved it. One 24 hour test drive with a vehicle with sliding doors, and I was sold. (I swore I'd never get a vehicle with sliding doors.) Your kids, even the toddler, will be able to get themselves in and out without much assistance. We have found the lower entry height is great for small kids and old dogs 2, 4 and 13. The second row seats fold forward with car seats installed making access to the back for your older child a breeze, something the SUV world just doesn't get. (My heart skipped a beat when the dealer demo'd this...) The "supplies", ie. emergency diapers, wipes, snacks, etc., you keep in the back can easily be hidden away in the Stow and Go, keeping the clutter to a minimum. We went with the Touring L Plus. My kids don't know they have screens in the headrests yet, and we don't plan on revealing that until the first long trip. While I just got my Pacifica a couple weeks ago, the build month was September. No kinks or issues with the electronics so far. We've had our first real snow fall as well and it did much better than I was expecting with stock tires.

Also, keep this in mind. It was pulled from a recent Facebook article a friend sent to me after they knew I was considering the minivan. The writer was weighing the options between a minivan and an Audi SUV after learning they were to have twins.
"First the get the van. Drive that sucker into the ground, like suck the life and soul out of it. Let the dander of crushed Goldfish Crackers and Cheerios permeate the plush carpet, only to be driven deeper down in by the flood of breast milk/formula vomit and squeezed (even though they'll know better than to squeeze them) juice boxes and popped sippy cup lid spills. Fill that holy vessel of a van to the ceiling with travel versions of highchairs, excersaucers, baby bathtubs, walkers, strollers, pack-n-play play pens.... the list goes on just for one weekend away.
That van will be your mobile mothership until those two cherubs are old enough to hoist themselves into their own booster seat and "GET BUCKLED!". It will be your Church of the Benevolent Never Ending Bottomless Pit of Resources through those Diaper/Pull Ups/Swim Diaper so we don't get kicked out of the pool/deetless bug spray/Mandatory Snack so we can get through THIS ONE LAST ERRAND/"Did You Bring The Other Bag?/No Worries, We Have Extra Pants In The Van (this one is handy for all four of you) stage.
She'll serve you well and you'll miss the mothership when it's gone, but you'll be glad no one is pooping their pants (fingers crossed) in the Audi."
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 01:02 PM

I'm expecting you to get a very heavily-biased "pro Pacifica" response here, so I'll try and give you a more rounded response: yes you will encounter more problems than with a new 2016/17 Odyssey (or Sienna), for two reasons:

1. This is a brand new car; Chrysler will only learn and fix problems at-scale as more people buy these and bring them in year after year for warranty repair. This is true across any manufacturer even the Toyota's and Honda's of the world.
2. FCA has a well-know reputation for quality problems. You can find infinite number of people that have "absolutely no problems" with their Chrysler and an infinite number that thought "it was the worst car they ever owned" - ignoring the individual stories and just looking at overall trends and reputations, chances are very good you will have more problems with your FCA vehicle than you will with a Toyota or Honda.

To Point #1 above; every subsequent model year of a car that hasn't been drastically changed typically gets more and more reliable as the manufacturer is able to fix known issues... the Honda Odyssey is currently in it's last year of the 4th Generation... that is a lot of refinement.

The only (important) thing I think you give up by going with the Odyssey is the autonomous driving capabilities that won't be in the van until 2018 (just announced this week). If those aren't important to you, by all means, get an Odyssey.

If those are important to you and you can wait until April/May, the new 2018 Odyssey will be on dealer lots and you can cross-shop the two vans.

I come off pretty prejudice here so why am I on a Pacifica forum?

Because I own an FCA vehicle (and Hondas), I enjoy the FCA styling more, I love the utility of the Stow and Go seats, I like that I can get a better deal at a Chrysler dealership when buying a new car and some for some stupid reason I feel drawn to the FCA fleet of cars more than others even though I've had my own challenges with my Dodge.

There is an intangible draw I think some vehicles have for people and the Pacifica does that for me; it's an awesome van and plenty of owners don't run into any problems at all, but many do and I'll say with 100% confidence that your ODDS of having problems are higher; that doesn't mean you will though.

The buggiest thing in the vans right now are the UConnect Theater system... it's a $2700 option; if you can just buy your kids all iPads and forget that feature, you'll avoid a lot of the heartache people are having.

One last thing (for what it's worth)... Consumer Reports predicts worse reliability with the Pacifica than most other minivans... BUT it currently has the highest Customer Satisfaction rating of all the minivans they test... so you aren't crazy for shopping for one, they are great vans.

Hope that helped. Just optimize for your "needs"... if you can never have the van in the shop and don't care about autonomous driving (which also means auto-braking/crash avoidance) then get the 2017 Odyssey.

If you can wait a few months, wait until the 2018 Odyssey is on lots and cross-shop/test-drive it.

If you don't care and really want that new van this Saturday (this is a totally valid reason; I've bought cars for no other reason than I was bored before) then go for it.

If you do buy it this saturday, I would recommend you go through the PROBLEMS forum and get a list of things that most people complain about it and test each one on this van.

Enjoy!
Rogus, soontobe and cp2k like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page