Thoughts on our Touring-L - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on our Touring-L

We bought our Touring-L just about a month ago. As I said in another thread, it spent the first 10 days of ownership back at the dealer getting Chrysler to provide a replacement EGR valve in a not so timely manner. We traded our 2014 Town &Country (plus a few more dollars) for our Pacifica, so I can make some comparisons as well.

To start with, driving the Pacifica is a dream; I make excuses to go farther away to shop or eat, just to be able to drive it. I liked the T&C, but we live in the Phoenix area and its all black interior just was not pleasant to get into when it gets to 110+ degrees. You canít even touch the steering wheel or sit back in the seats, even with light-colored seat covers.

Things I like:
Driving: Smooth, responsive and relatively quiet. Hard to tell when the engine is running. Not totally sound proof from road noise, but better than anything weíve owned before.
Interior: the cognac/alloy/toffee interior suits us fine. Although it still gets hot sitting in the driveway, we can start driving right away even on the hottest of days (yeah, weíve pushed 120 a few days this summer), even with leather. The all black interior of our T&C was not only way hot, but it showed the dirt a lot more, especially on the carpets. We donít have kids or animals to contend with, so thatís not an issue with keeping things clean with the lighter interior. To be sure, that was the reason we bough this particular Pacifica.
A/C: Cools down quickly, a much needed feature here in the Arizona desert.
Remote start: Great when I remember to use it.
Safety: I really like the blind spot and park sense features, We had backup detect on a few other vehicles and I wished we had it on our T&C, so Iím glad itís on our Pacifica.
Uconnect 8.4: Lots to learn yet, but like the large touch screen, larger and easier to view in the sunlight, than we had with our T&C. Iíve not tried to pair our cell phone yet, but I could never get it to work on our T&C.
Stow Ďn go seats: Same as the T&C, but easier to use

Things I donít like:
Spare tire: Would like to have a spare, itís something you canít just add if itís not an original added option on your model. Too impatient to wait for the roadside service truck to show up I guess.
Center console: No compartments. Our T&C had two in the console, along with two on the passenger side dash. The Pacifica only has two compartments on the dash and a few open storage spaces in the center console. I loved that console on the T&C, why didnít they keep it that way? It worked so well. Oh yeah, our T&C had eight cup holders accessible from the front, gee, our Pacifica only has six, but we can live with that....
Engine compartment: Crammed, just like most vehicles are today, but it looks like a major effort to just replace the battery. Iím still looking for that EGR valve that they replaced.

Things I need to get use to:
Gearshift knob: Yeah, no big gearshift lever, a thing of the past, but takes a bit to get use to.
Pushbutton parking brake: This to takes some getting use to. Donít get me wrong, I like it, our driveway is on a slope and I need to set the parking brake when I get home. I also like the automatic release. You can also set it to automatically engage when you park, I did that for a while and since I really donít need it most of the time, I chose to reset it to manually engage it when I need to.
Briggsie likes this.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 PM

Center Console: The Pacifica we ended up buying came with a different center console than the one we test drove. I don't know which trims levels have which console but our limited is different than what we were expecting.

Engine Compartment: Agreed. One big surprise for me though is that I can reach all 6 spark plugs. The rear plugs on our previous minivans were a nightmare to replace.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
Center Console: The Pacifica we ended up buying came with a different center console than the one we test drove. I don't know which trims levels have which console but our limited is different than what we were expecting.

Engine Compartment: Agreed. One big surprise for me though is that I can reach all 6 spark plugs. The rear plugs on our previous minivans were a nightmare to replace.
The loaner we had was a Touring and had a smaller console than the Touring-L. I don't know what they put in the Limited, but that one is a bit more pricey than we wanted anyway so it didn't matter. That, plus we didn't want to pay for things like larger wheels and TV in the second row seats (we used the TV in our Avalanche just once and never in our T&C). Kick-to-open doors sounds like a nice feature, but we're doing just fine using the fob or door handles. The pricing on our Touring-L fit our budget just fine...

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
Things I don’t like:
Center console: No compartments. Our T&C had two in the console, along with two on the passenger side dash. The Pacifica only has two compartments on the dash and a few open storage spaces in the center console. I loved that console on the T&C, why didn’t they keep it that way? It worked so well.
I think the Touring-L is an excellent choice. With no parking or shift cable hardware to worry about I'll bet that console is a pretty easy swap out. Probably too expensive right now as a repair part but in a year or so the Internet Junk Yards or 3rd party sources may have the "SuperConsole" model console with compartments at a reasonable price if you are still interested.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 01:28 PM

Overall the touring is a great model and yea the engine area is cramped and things are hard to swap out because they're adding more and more features to vehicles these days. Stinks that you can't do simple things yourself but at least you won't need to swap out the battery for a long while yet.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 07:37 AM

Garage
Just like the front, touring and touring L and up are different. The touring L and up gets the slide out center console draw that is big enough for some diaper bags! Also, the LED brake lights and led DRL show up in the touring L and up.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post
Just like the front, touring and touring L and up are different. The touring L and up gets the slide out center console draw that is big enough for some diaper bags! Also, the LED brake lights and led DRL show up in the touring L and up.
Yeah, the Touring-L has a different console than the Touring, but mine doesn't have a center console drawer, just a big open space below and a slide out cup holder for the second row. I'm kind of bummed out about our console not having any closed storage space. Perhaps that's been changed recently.....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 04:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
Yeah, the Touring-L has a different console than the Touring, but mine doesn't have a center console drawer, just a big open space below and a slide out cup holder for the second row. I'm kind of bummed out about our console not having any closed storage space. Perhaps that's been changed recently.....
sorry to hear that. Other than that, still loving your Pacifica? Are you concerned about reliability? What is your MPG if you do not mind me asking?

2016 Kia Sedona SX w/ Tech or 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow and Tech? That is my conundrum.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post
sorry to hear that. Other than that, still loving your Pacifica? Are you concerned about reliability? What is your MPG if you do not mind me asking?
Yeah, other than the console issue, there's not much not to like. We've got just under 1400 miles on it, all of it city driving, and we're setting at 18 mpg. That's only up one mile from what we were getting on our 2014 T&C. I was expecting better than that, but we'll see.

If I could upgrade my console, I'd pay the price though...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:18 PM

My sienna has 4 cup holders in the front and water bottle holder on the door and i wish the Pacifica has more cup holders in the front but still love out Pacifica. with the heat you should look into getting your wondshield clear tinted, I live in florida and it makes a huge difference when the windshield has a clear tint

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page