Oil filter change - Page 11 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
With all these reports of how easy it is to change the oil and filter in the Pacifica and the fact that synthetic oil changes at the dealer are expensive, I'm starting to think I should just do them myself. Which oil extractor is everyone using?
I have two of these...one for oil and one for "other". It runs off your air compressor. It comes with variable length dipstick hoses (some metal and some poly tube) but I had to buy some extra tube and make one of mine longer for the Pacifica. There are cheaper oil extractors out there that you pump by hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0478.jpg (101.5 KB, 71 views)

Brett
Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels

Last edited by BrettP; 02-23-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 AM

I've been using a 4 gallon hand pumped extractor on my cars for the past 20 years or so. Don't miss climbing under to change the oil one bit. Today I'd probably go for the harbor freight unit mentioned above - with the ubiquitous 20% off coupon it's cheaper than my old hand pump. About the only thing I'll shop at Walmart is oil - they have all the major brands of full synth for about $24/5qt, and manufacturers are usually running a $10 rebate on their website. There's also a Mopar dealer on Amazon offering our oil filter for under $7 with free shipping.
Been changing my own oil for over half a century - gives me an excuse to poke around the engine to see if anything is falling off 😆 Haven't done a change on Pacifica yet but it looks like a piece of cake.

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
post #103 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
I have two of these...one for oil and one for "other". It runs off your air compressor. It comes with variable length dipstick hoses (some metal and some poly tube) but I had to buy some extra tube and make one of mine longer for the Pacifica. There are cheaper oil extractors out there that you pump by hand.
Thanks Brett. I was looking at one like this that can work manually or with a compressor. I can't believe how many type there are.

https://www.amazon.com/Pneumatic-Man...=oil+extractor

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

post #104 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:19 PM

There really are a lot of them out there now. I've see that particular one in several videos so I assume it is pretty popular. I like that it supports both air compressor and people power.
It holds 6.8 quarts so you'll be good-to-go if it turns out your Pacifica is a 6 quarter.

Brett
Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #105 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
It holds 6.8 quarts so you'll be good-to-go if it turns out your Pacifica is a 6 quarter.
I guess I better have an extra quart on hand just in case.

post #106 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 07:46 AM

As an early adapter (build date 5/16), I had my first oil change, and yes, it took all of 6 quarts of full synthetic. However, I was a bit curious and found this in the owner's manual:
Quote:
You may use synthetic engine oils provided the recommended
oil quality requirements are met, and the recommended
maintenance intervals for oil and filter changes are
followed.
Note the word, "may", implying that full synthetic is not a requirement, but an option unless there is a later edition specifying otherwise....

Don (ezdays) Day
post #107 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
Note the word, "may", implying that full synthetic is not a requirement, but an option unless there is a later edition specifying otherwise....
Well, technically synthetic oil is not required. But since 0W-20 is required and it only seems to come in synthetic, we don't have much of a choice. If somebody does start to manufacturer 0W-20 conventional oil, we should be okay using it.

post #108 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Well, technically synthetic oil is not required. But since 0W-20 is required and it only seems to come in synthetic, we don't have much of a choice. If somebody does start to manufacturer 0W-20 conventional oil, we should be okay using it.
Got your point, I hadn't considered anything else anyway, but I was also wondering about what really is the advantage of synthetic oil. Save the environment? Better lubrication? Improves gas mileage? Or perhaps, none of these. I hadn't thought about where synthetic oil comes from or how they make it until I was looking at a banner while waiting for my oil change, and it said, "first synthetic oil to be made from natural gas". So that one is still a byproduct of our underground natural resources; is the rest made from old grocery bags, composting garbage or what? Just curious.

Don (ezdays) Day
post #109 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 12:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdays View Post
Got your point, I hadn't considered anything else anyway, but I was also wondering about what really is the advantage of synthetic oil. Save the environment? Better lubrication? Improves gas mileage? Or perhaps, none of these. I hadn't thought about where synthetic oil comes from or how they make it until I was looking at a banner while waiting for my oil change, and it said, "first synthetic oil to be made from natural gas". So that one is still a byproduct of our underground natural resources; is the rest made from old grocery bags, composting garbage or what? Just curious.
Better MPG, less engine wear, fewer oil changes, lower cost = WINNER

In case you like to read vs watch a video

The Basics of Synthetic Oil Technology

The technology of synthetic oil. How is synthetic oil made?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Lov'in my Touring-L Plus
Tow package w/ 18" wheels
Safety Tech, Key Sense
Hands free side doors & tailgate
Built Oct 2016

Last edited by dabrandt22; 02-24-2017 at 12:10 PM.
post #110 of 208 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 01:03 PM

Its hard to get oil weight to 0W. That's why its synthetic.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page