2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Owners with ESS post here

87K views 224 replies 73 participants last post by  citanic 
#1 ·
So Pacifica is getting the ESS (Engine Stop Start). If you have taken delivery of one please post your experience. So far I don't know if anyone hast taken delivery of a Pacifica with ESS yet.

#2 ·
I've only seen one member report that they've received a Pacifica with ESS so far ( @nick ). I'm sure the floodgates will open with more reports soon.

#126 ·
I have one. While the ESS works quite seamlessly, I am adamantly against it. I turn it off if I remember. I tried several things and so far none are equivalent to complete disable. Disconnecting the hood does disable the ESS but the warnings regarding the hood open is too much. I pulled the ESS fuse (F13) and I get the warning that the ESS is not available, that is not completely true. It still shuts down sometimes. There is a way but not having a schematic it would be hit and miss. I am sure is a month or so with more Pacificas out with ESS, there will be a simple solution.

#4 ·
I'm reserving judgement until I hear more reports from the field. If it's just like the Cherokee's ESS system, I'll be glad my Pacifica doesn't have it. If it's a little more refined, and does indeed save gas, I may be disappointed that I didn't end up with it. But I don't feel strongly enough either way that it would have swayed my purchasing decision.

#5 ·
Adding nothing useful to the discussion, I've got a limited on order for about a month now. Got the window sticker a day or two ago and see that ESS is listed as being installed. Goes with an "auxiliary" battery, but no further info.
I know people driving BMWs with their version of it installed who were less than thrilled with it. OTOH, and much to my wife's dismay, I often turn off my car while sitting at some of our obscenely long lights. I may well revise my opinion when (if?) my new van arrives, but I'm kind of jazzed with the concept of ESS. Hope reality doesn't deflate too badly...

#6 ·
I had post a few posts on the details of this system. I am curious to see if it is indeed Johnson Control's ESS system. They have regenerative braking that charges up a battery for aux use when stopped at a stop light This might be apart of that second battery. I also know that the ESS bypasses the starter and gives the car an electric start of sorts. I am tired, do not recall all the details, but it gives a quicker start. They also have an alternator that decouples when battery is done charging. I'll have to find those posts and put them here.

With that said, at first I was against this, but now that I have done my research, I am excited (like standing in line for Star Tours at Disneyland) to see how well it works. I ordered mine Feb. 2nd. with Quick order 27J (ESS).

#8 ·
There are plenty of pre ESS Pacifica's out there. 8 passenger (deletes sunroof, adds 20" rims) are available. There may also be a chance that you can still order "Quick package 25J" which is the non ESS engine. At least it showed up as an option to click when I was ordering mine.

#11 ·
^^^ agreed. @Tsnor, the press release stats that it will be restarted again once the engine turns back on after cold start.

Thanks for your link though, I found this MOPAR ESS system on other vehicles. It is "safe" to assume that the Pacifica uses the same set up... yes, but probably with more advanced tech.

#12 ·
reading up on the ESS system on the 200, here are the ways you can deactivate ESS if you wish (to go to extremes on some approaches lol): "The system does not work if the driver is not buckled in or has their door open; if the battery is too hot or cold; if the car is on a steep grade; if the cabin is too hot or cold; if the defroster is on, with the fan on High; if the battery is not fully charged, the engine is not warm enough, the hood is open, maximum a/c is set, or if the brake pedal is not being fully depressed." Source

#15 · (Edited)
I finally have my Pacifica and can give you my initial impressions with ESS.

First it is hardly noticeable unless you are watching the tachometer. It starts back up quickly and really causes no delay in accelerating from a stop. I also noticed from the outside when remote starting that the starter is extremely quiet. Much quieter than any previous vehicle I've had.

#16 ·
.Congrats on the new arrival! I see you already updated your avatar :smile2:

It's great to hear that Chrysler seems to have done ESS right in the Pacifica. Keep us posted as you get more use out of it!

#18 · (Edited)
Can you provide pictures of where the extra battery is and the ESS button? My vehicle was built last week and just downloaded the window sticker today. The online owners manual has not been updated to include ESS. Did your owners manual cover the ESS feature?

If you do a YouTube video you will be the first to cover the Pacifica ESS!

Reactions: Gohawks1224
#32 ·
If you do a YouTube video you will be the first to cover the Pacifica ESS!
That's so true... there is literally nothing written or recorded about the ESS in the Pacifica since Spring 2016 when the Pacifica was introduced/released. I honestly do not think many people know the Pacifica has ESS now outside of this group. My dealer certainly did not until I told them about it, and what quick order package 27J was.

Reactions: Longtimemopar
#23 ·
I just took possession yesterday of a new, 8-passenger limited. It does have the ESS option and it is absolutely something I would prefer not to have or at least prefer the ability to disable permanently. My wife doesn't like it either and she's a lot more tolerant of things like that. Is it mostly seamless? Yes. Is it (relatively) quick? Yes. However, even that slight amount of, call it "input lag", on resuming after the engine shuts off at a stop light, is extremely jarring to me. It's hard enough for a minivan drive to feel engaging, but then to add another layer of separation between the driver and the road just makes it worse.

Still looking for the trick to disable it. Foggy brain from Flu-recovery isn't helping.

#41 · (Edited)
1 MPG more is about 18-20miles more per tank.. not bad, spread it over a few years and ESS would pay for its self. Probably less expensive and maybe more reliable than other fuel saving technologies like Direct injection or cylinder deactivation

#46 ·
So doesn't this kill your starter and battery if you're spending a lot of time in stop and go traffic?

#47 ·
There is an additional battery (you get two) and the starter is not used for restarts. That would simply take too long. They did mention that something was built stronger... flywheel maybe? I forget.

#48 ·
I think it uses the same starter. You do get 2 batteries and the larger one which is used for the starter is AGM type which should provide greater life over the typical flooded battery in this type of application.

In serious stop and go (stop, inch forward, stop, inch forward, etc.) the ess only activates on the first stop and subsequent stops it stays running. I think you need to reach 8 or 12 mph before it will reactivate.

#49 ·
yes a starter and possibly an electric start (common on Johnson Control ESS systems although Chrysler developed their own) or special starter solenoid. Here is a list of components on the Jeep Cherokee ESS... and you must go more than 5mph to cycle it.

A stronger, 220-amp alternator
An absorbent glass mat (AGM) high-durability battery
A modified starter with hardened gears, reinforced castings, higher-power motor, longer life brushes, and higher-precision bearings and shaft
A large Denso starter solenoid
A voltage stabilization module that prevent voltage dips during cranking, providing a buffer for the car computers and such
A Bosch battery sensor which predicts voltage and capacity, and measures alternator current and battery temperature
Special programming in the car computer
Source

Interesting enough, It is rather hard to find detailed writeups on the Chrysler ESS let alone one for the Pacifica. It is possible that the Pacifica is the first to receive the belt starter-generator (BSG) stop-start setup which obviously saves the starter and provides a very very quiet restart. The Cherokee did not have that. We also know that there is a second battery called an AGM at 650amp and an auxiliary battery.

#56 ·
I have one and im not to fond of it. You have to turn it off every time you start the car because it defaults to ESS on start up. I have driven a Chevy Impala with ESS and GMs version seemed more refined to me. My van seems a bit hesitant to quickly start like I remember the Impala doing. When it does stop and start you know it, its not all that quiet and seamless like the Impala I drove was. Its not awful but still I wish I didn't have it.

#59 ·
So I've been driving with the ESS and you guys are right, its a bit irritating. Especially when you are at the front of the line at a stop light and you need to get going quickly, lest you get a honk or mid digit! I've been turning it off manually the last few times. You come to hate those creepers in front of you with ESS on!

#60 ·
You know, I was wondering about that. Engineers claim it lags in the milliseconds. Hard to get a digit or honk in in that amount of time. Oh well... I watch the lights in anticipation already so when I think the light is going to change (it shows yellow for cross traffic) I will simply let me foot off the brake and creep fwd to get the engine going again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.