2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Which Sensor?

13K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  ed_wong 
#1 ·
Does anybody know what the sensor to the right of the rear view mirror is for? I've attached a photo of it.

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
My L Plus does not have auto wipers but does have auto lights and it does have that sensor. I was always under the impression though that the little dome in the center of the dash was the light sensor for auto headlight control. hmm??

#6 ·
I also thought it might be a rain sensor or the automatic high beam sensor, but those options are only available with the Advanced SafetyTec Group package which is not available on a the Touring L models. I've ask the dealer and contacted Chrysler this morning and so far nobody has the answer. The auto headlight sensor is on the top of the dash in the middle of it. I have a Garmin GPS so I'm not using the one you have to pay for.

#7 ·
My thought process on the GPS antenna is that if you have the Nav capable one (just not paid for the unlock) you still have all the necessary hardware, including the antenna. Keep us updated on what you find out.

#9 ·
I guess if someone with a Pacifica LX model can check and see if they have that sensor or not? It would confirm it's the GPS antenna

#11 ·
Isn't automatic high beams only available with the Advanced SafetyTec Group package? This is a Touring L or is automatic high beams standard on Touring L models?

#12 ·
I have an L Plus without the Advanced Safety, the auto high-beams are not standard on the L Plus (nor on the Touring L). My L Plus does come standard with the auto headlights though, but as discussed earlier, that should be the small dome in the center of the dash. I'm sticking with GPS antenna or Sat Radio Antenna...leaning towards.

Ive attached a picture of the parts for the mirror. #4 is the rain sensor and it seams to be built into the back of the mirror housing

Attachments

#13 ·
Ive attached a picture of the parts for the mirror. #4 is the rain sensor and it seams to be built into the back of the mirror housing
Yes, there are two camera-like sensors built into the mirror housing that are used for rain sensing, auto high-beams, and lane keep assist. The sensor in question doesn't seem to have any lens or camera when viewed from the outside, so a satellite antenna is a good bet. My Cherokee has the same sensor, but it's on the opposite side of the mirror.

#17 ·
#18 ·
Seeing this thread intrigued me, so I did some searching..

I think the answer is the humidity sensor for auto climate control.

References:
Humidity sensor question - Chrysler 300C Forum: 300C & SRT8 Forums
Humidity Sensor - Dodge Charger Forums
Good find. That certainly appears to be it. I was wondering why that would be mounted to the windshield, but that Charger link says that it detects the windshield glass temperature in addition to the humidity and dew-point.

#19 ·
Wow, this car is high tech! Would have never thought about a humidity sensor. Nice that Chrysler took care of this.

#20 ·
Okay, I did my own research tonight too. I went to my local dealer and looked at the different trim levels of the Pacificas LX through Limited. They had all 5 trim levels there. So the LX and Touring models do not have that sensor. Touring L and above models all have that sensor. I seen a Touring with the 8.4 Uconnect that is Nav capable but, it did not have that sensor. Touring L and above models have auto AC and Touring and LX models have manual AC. So it looks like you guys are right, it must be a humidity sensor. I would have never guessed that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.