Uconnect Max File Size for Video Files - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
Uconnect Max File Size for Video Files

I've been trying to load up some USB drives with movies and TV shows to keep the kids entertained on long trips but I seem to have run into some kind of artificial limit on max file size.

The Uconnect documentation says the max supported size for USB drives is 32GB but I've already disproved that and am using a 128GB Sandisk Ultra Micro drive without issue (just have to format it at NTFS). What I've found is that it seems like there's a limit where files have to be smaller than 1GB to be read by the Uconnect software.

I haven't tried burning the video files on a DVD and seeing if the Blu-ray player has this same limit because I would rather use the USB port if I can.

All of my video files are MP4 format.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this issue and found a workaround.
boxcarwilly is offline  
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 302
Uconnect theater seems to be turning out to be not so great. First the fact that only something like MP4 can be used and now you are pretty much limited to only loading shows/movies that are 480p or shows in 720p that are 20 min or less. That sux big time.

Spend all this money for the system and then everyone just uses their iPad/phone instead.

Please let us know if you find the workaround or solution.

They should just give limited prospects the option to simply add the 20 speaker setup without the uconnect theater.
cue003 is online now  
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 5
Did some testing tonight and while I didn't find a solution I believe I found my answer.

I tried loading various video formats from the USB port (MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV) and MP4/M4V is the only one that Uconnect will read.

The size limit on files is 2GB, not 1GB as I originally though. Uconnect is based on the QNX software platform which is a 32-bit system. That means the max supported file size that it can read is 2GB.

Another interesting note, I copied a couple of MP4 videos to a DVD+R to see if the Blu-ray drive would read it to see if it would at least read something larger than 2GB. It doesn't read the disk at all. I don't know if that means I have to burn the disk as a DVD-video instead of DVD-data or if will only read commercial DVD/Blu-ray discs.

Either way it looks like I'll be re-encoding some of my movies to get them under that 2GB size.
boxcarwilly is offline  
 
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
I have spent the last 10 days trying all sorts of things from scaling down to trying different file types. Most frustrating of all is that I have some files that work that are exactly the same type and almost the same size as others that do not. Have been primarily using MKV files. Also have confirmed it works with a 128GB and made no difference switching files onto a 8GB. If anyone has any joy, would love to hear the fix.
ajwkmills is offline  
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcarwilly View Post
Did some testing tonight and while I didn't find a solution I believe I found my answer.

I tried loading various video formats from the USB port (MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV) and MP4/M4V is the only one that Uconnect will read.

The size limit on files is 2GB, not 1GB as I originally though. Uconnect is based on the QNX software platform which is a 32-bit system. That means the max supported file size that it can read is 2GB.

Another interesting note, I copied a couple of MP4 videos to a DVD+R to see if the Blu-ray drive would read it to see if it would at least read something larger than 2GB. It doesn't read the disk at all. I don't know if that means I have to burn the disk as a DVD-video instead of DVD-data or if will only read commercial DVD/Blu-ray discs.

Either way it looks like I'll be re-encoding some of my movies to get them under that 2GB size.
Thanks for the additional testing and tracking down some of the limits.

Looks like USB files less than or = 2GB in MP4/M4V format only. Largest USB stick size tested is 128GB.

As I understand it, if you are using a USB stick for one rear screen you cannot from that one location play movies on both screens. Is that correct? or do you need a USB setup per monitor/screen?
cue003 is online now  
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
Hallelujah, I finally worked it out. Comes down to screen width, had to scale down to 1200 screen width to make it work. Realized as it was an issue with newer films in windscreen 1920 vs older programs in 800/1200 width. Now have scaled movies at 1200 in mkv format on a 128GB stick.

As far as playing the movies on more than one screen. Each screen can watch whatever they want off the USB stick. They can even watch the same program at different points.

Oh and finally if you are looking for a program to do this, I have been using "Handbrake".
chris. likes this.
ajwkmills is offline  
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:06 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Missouri
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwkmills View Post
Hallelujah, I finally worked it out. Comes down to screen width, had to scale down to 1200 screen width to make it work. Realized as it was an issue with newer films in windscreen 1920 vs older programs in 800/1200 width. Now have scaled movies at 1200 in mkv format on a 128GB stick.

As far as playing the movies on more than one screen. Each screen can watch whatever they want off the USB stick. They can even watch the same program at different points.

Oh and finally if you are looking for a program to do this, I have been using "Handbrake".
Thank you for sharing. I just downloaded Handbrake and will get this a try. I have a question regarding playing videos from a USB device: I have two small children (too little to be able to operate the U Connect Theater system on their own) and was wondering if videos etc will play automatically like they do on a DVD. I was considering purchasing some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes but would need these to play continuously one right after the other. Will this happen when downloading to a USB? If not, I will need to stick to DVD's for a while longer. Thanks for any advice.
kkodstl is offline  
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Houston
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwkmills View Post
Hallelujah, I finally worked it out. Comes down to screen width, had to scale down to 1200 screen width to make it work. Realized as it was an issue with newer films in windscreen 1920 vs older programs in 800/1200 width. Now have scaled movies at 1200 in mkv format on a 128GB stick.
...
Oh and finally if you are looking for a program to do this, I have been using "Handbrake".


This is news I can use! Thanks so much, ajwkmills, for figuring this out. Reformatting just about anything to 1200W and storing it in a MKV container file may be the universal fix we needed to fill that big ol' memory stick up. Awesome!
ajwkmills likes this.

Brett
Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
BrettP is online now  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkodstl View Post
Thank you for sharing. I just downloaded Handbrake and will get this a try. I have a question regarding playing videos from a USB device: I have two small children (too little to be able to operate the U Connect Theater system on their own) and was wondering if videos etc will play automatically like they do on a DVD. I was considering purchasing some Mickey Mouse Clubhouse episodes but would need these to play continuously one right after the other. Will this happen when downloading to a USB? If not, I will need to stick to DVD's for a while longer. Thanks for any advice.
You will need to stitch them together, they will not auto play one after the other.
ajwkmills is offline  
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
 
generaltso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajwkmills View Post
Hallelujah, I finally worked it out. Comes down to screen width, had to scale down to 1200 screen width to make it work. Realized as it was an issue with newer films in windscreen 1920 vs older programs in 800/1200 width. Now have scaled movies at 1200 in mkv format on a 128GB stick
Do the files also need to be 2GB or smaller? Or are bigger files okay as long as the screen width is 1200?
generaltso is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 


SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1