Recommendation on HOW to reduce the chance of DEAD Diode - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Recommendation on HOW to reduce the chance of DEAD Diode

Hello all,
I am one of those Pachy owners/drivers who is quite nervous about this recall.

At the moment, I (and perhaps everybody else too) have 3 main questions that would be great if we can find answer for:

1) What would exactly happen if the diode dies in the middle of the drive? What would work and what would not work? This will help us for that nasty moment ...

2) Does completely stopping, turning off and starting fix the problem for the moment OR it has to be towed?

3) How can we reduce the chance of this occurrence? e.g., not breaking hard, always keep the regen brake at 50% max, ...

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:26 PM

I really don't why people are panicking about the car stopping... what would you do if you had a blowout? Ran out of gas? Any other electrical problem? Sh*t the car stops running, you pull over... whats the big deal? Very few of the Pacs have this problem. Its a rare fault from what I have read.
Gohawks1224 likes this.

2015 T&C Limited
2012 T&C Limited
2009 Volks Routan (Chrysler)
2000 Chrysler 300M Special
1974 Cherokee Chief (Not Chrysler yet AMC)
1971 T&C
1965 Plymouth Sport Fury
1962 Plymouth Satellite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by popac View Post
Hello all,
I am one of those Pachy owners/drivers who is quite nervous about this recall.

At the moment, I (and perhaps everybody else too) have 3 main questions that would be great if we can find answer for:

1) What would exactly happen if the diode dies in the middle of the drive? What would work and what would not work? This will help us for that nasty moment ...

2) Does completely stopping, turning off and starting fix the problem for the moment OR it has to be towed?

3) How can we reduce the chance of this occurrence? e.g., not breaking hard, always keep the regen brake at 50% max, ...

Thanks
There is nothing you can do but to replace the diode. Even reusing a diode is problematic. The issue is Diodes are not very heat resistant. Quick charging puts a lot of strain on them. That said, you absolutely want the diode to fail as opposed to anything else. Thermal runnaway is really bad. We have thermal runnaway from time to time on naval jets. We drill for such an occasion quarterly. There are two kinds, but the worse kind is where "battery juice" is spewing out of the battery and the battery itself is so hot, it will start to melt paint.
Mr. D likes this.

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge56 View Post
I really don't why people are panicking about the car stopping... what would you do if you had a blowout? Ran out of gas? Any other electrical problem? Sh*t the car stops running, you pull over... whats the big deal? Very few of the Pacs have this problem. Its a rare fault from what I have read.
I can't say for sure but don't you lose power steering assist, and the brake booster pump? Brake pressure to stop the vehicle alone can be an issue of you're not prepared for it. Again I'm guessing that these things would occur. Hopefully someone who's experienced it can chime in.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM

^^^ a member previously responded none of those things occured when his/her shut off. The post came from a few days ago when someone else asked the same question. Granted each situation may be different. Check the thread called "Wanted: first hand accounts of..."
icydog and sPacifica like this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 03:53 PM

The answer to 2. is no. If a diode fails you are basically driving or sitting in a nice brick until the recall fix is implemented. Your chance of having this failure based on calculations noted elsewhere are between 0.56 % and an upper limit of about 1.5 % based on Chrysler data on the 13 issues sited in the recall. It would seem that the more miles you drive the more likelihood of this failure. From the few reports on this forum and the Facebook threads, it appears the van slows to a stop. You may have enough speed to pull to the side of the road. Wherever the van stops you will have to calla tow truck and wait, and hopefully you are in safe position. From the reports the van can not be pushed out of the way until the tow truck lifts up the front wheels for a tow.
gory and Mike like this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 PM

"Your chance of having this failure based on calculations noted elsewhere are between 0.56 % and an upper limit of about 1.5 % based on Chrysler data on the 13 issues sited in the recall."

Be careful with these numbers. That's the number of failures that have ALREADY occurred. As more people drive more miles, more failures are bound to occur. I don't think there is any way to put an upper bound on your chance of having this failure.
gory, Tsnor and masterofuniverse like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post
"Your chance of having this failure based on calculations noted elsewhere are between 0.56 % and an upper limit of about 1.5 % based on Chrysler data on the 13 issues sited in the recall."

Be careful with these numbers. That's the number of failures that have ALREADY occurred. As more people drive more miles, more failures are bound to occur. I don't think there is any way to put an upper bound on your chance of having this failure.
Agreed, as I indicated the more miles driven the higher likelyhood of a failure.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icydog View Post

yes, to be precise, those are 95% confidence bounds that your car is one of the experienced failures during a fleet exploitation period equivalent to the one that has happened until recall has been counted and published.

it is what you choose to believe this period has been equivalent to say one month (just a wild guess), and you want to see what the risk over the next 3 months until it is fixed in mid september is, the 95% upper bound for risk, assuming constant risk of failure, will become

> 1-(1-0.015)^3
[1] 0.04432838

i.e., 4.4%.

the lower bound grows to
> 1-(1-0.0056)^3
[1] 0.0167061

i.e., 1.7%.

for any arbitrary period this will be equivalent to following a so called exponential distribution's cumulative function (cdf) with the rates equal to the bounds.

problem is we don't know what period of incidence the recall data is equivalent to is, otherwise we might try to build guesses on these bounds over some time ahead starting from now. Also, it is probably more applicable to miles driven rather than time passed. They had one failed car that failed after over 7k miles, so if we had exact data about mileage when it happened, we could fit exponential distribution over miles much better. so, a lot of assumptions, yes.

also w.r.t. severity of immobilization failure, I agree that it seems neither power steering nor breaking is affected in any way, but the fix would require a tow to the dealer and waiting for months, unlike the collapsed tire wall, which would still require a tow but would just require a new tire and any tire shop that can mount tires. So definitely not recommended for trips imo.
gory likes this.

Last edited by dlieu; 06-16-2017 at 05:42 PM.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 05:51 PM

one question i have, come to think about it, is there any chance that they could send and replace the PIM with a current part number instead of to-be-fixed part number in case of failure like they did to others before the recall?

or that is not something they would offer to do after recall is announced?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page