Why no 8th seater option? - Page 3 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

This make me wonder... buy the hybrid, then buy the gasoline 2nd row (3seats) and just use the middle one for the child seat with the latches... Anyone think any possibility that might work?
post #22 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
This make me wonder... buy the hybrid, then buy the gasoline 2nd row (3seats) and just use the middle one for the child seat with the latches... Anyone think any possibility that might work?
Nope, that won't work. There won't be any mounting brackets in the floor to attach the middle seat to.

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards
post #23 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toelke View Post
I think the existing 2nd row seats would need to have less bolstering for the middle seat to work.

At least the impression I got from the reviews was that the non-hybrid seats were much flatter than the hybrid ones.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong - but that's what I think. Obviously you don't agree, and that's OK. But I don't think there's any way we can really come to a definite conclusion.
If you "Build and Price" a non-hybrid and look at the pictures for the 8th seat option, it appears that the 8th seat is designed specifically to work with the stow-n-go 2nd row seats. If that's the case, it can't be added to the hybrid since the hybrid comes with the captains chair seats. Stow-n-go 2nd row seats are not offered on the Hybrid.
post #24 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relytgerg View Post
If you "Build and Price" a non-hybrid and look at the pictures for the 8th seat option, it appears that the 8th seat is designed specifically to work with the stow-n-go 2nd row seats. If that's the case, it can't be added to the hybrid since the hybrid comes with the captains chair seats. Stow-n-go 2nd row seats are not offered on the Hybrid.
The 8th seat cannot be added post-purchase to any 7 seater, regardless of whether it's a hybrid or gas-only. It requires anchor points in the floor and a seatbelt in the ceiling that would not be present.

post #25 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Nope, that won't work. There won't be any mounting brackets in the floor to attach the middle seat to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
The 8th seat cannot be added post-purchase to any 7 seater, regardless of whether it's a hybrid or gas-only. It requires anchor points in the floor and a seatbelt in the ceiling that would not be present.
Maybe engineering the anchor points and seat to work with the battery in the floor and the larger captain's chairs was going to add too much time to the R&D, thus putting scheduling milestones at risk, so they tabled it for a future model year. That sounds like a very management-like thing to do. If you're trying to make either a cost target OR a scheduling target, start trimming things that are only "nice to haves".

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Actual EV Range: 70 miles

Pacifica or Odyssey to replace '07 Grand Caravan?
post #26 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorth View Post
Maybe engineering the anchor points and seat to work with the battery in the floor and the larger captain's chairs was going to add too much time to the R&D
The batteries are in the area in front of the seats where the stow-n-go wells would be. The seat anchors are well behind that. There are a million possible reasons why Chrysler made different decisions, but ultimately it seems like they just wanted the hybrid launch to be simple without a bunch of configuration versions and at a specific price point.

post #27 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Poor planning.
post #28 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:11 AM

****, could've been they can't afford the additional weight of an 8th human passenger on the loaded weight of the hybrid. A passengers gotta be worth 200-250 lbs in engineering land.
post #29 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Hey - I just left a dealer and was talking about placing a pre-order. They told me the only way I could order a hybrid without the sunroof was WITH the 8 seat option. That didn't really make sense to me given that I've read in multiple places that it's not available on the hybrid - but that's what they told me. (Two different people at dealership said same thing. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not - but it's what they told me.)
post #30 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamiG View Post
Hey - I just left a dealer and was talking about placing a pre-order. They told me the only way I could order a hybrid without the sunroof was WITH the 8 seat option. That didn't really make sense to me given that I've read in multiple places that it's not available on the hybrid - but that's what they told me. (Two different people at dealership said same thing. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not - but it's what they told me.)
They are 100% wrong. What they said is true of the gas-only Limited. For the hybrid, the sunroof is a standalone option and the 8th seat is not available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page