Why no 8th seater option? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Why no 8th seater option for Pacifica Hybrid?

Hi Guys,

Can you guys confirm that there's no option to add the 8th seat? Is the Pacifica Hybrid strictly 7th seater? Went to my local Chrysler deal and was told so, all though they knew almost nothing about the Hyrbid (the sales man doesn't even know how to operate the Gasoline Pacifica... )

Could any confirm? If not, WHY??? I can think of a lot of reason to buy this van, but only one reason is not going to allow me to buy this. We have exactly 8 peoples in our family... can't leave one at home when we are going on a trip?

Last edited by jimmyaz; 01-03-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 10:09 PM

As far as a I can tell all of the hybrid Pacificas come with the TRI-PANE PANORAMIC SUNROOF. The 8th seat requires a solid roof for the shoulder part of the safety belt.
peanutmom2001 likes this.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 11:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCKnight View Post
As far as a I can tell all of the hybrid Pacificas come with the TRI-PANE PANORAMIC SUNROOF. The 8th seat requires a solid roof for the shoulder part of the safety belt.
All? well that's sad. Why would they not make this an option like the gasoline version... A mini van without the option to have 8th seat is just ridiculous. Well, I guess I won't be able to buy one. Can't see why the "PANORAMIC SUNROOF" would be better option than 8th seater consider this is a mini van...

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
All? well that's sad. Why would they not make this an option like the gasoline version... A mini van without the option to have 8th seat is just ridiculous. Well, I guess I won't be able to buy one. Can't see why the "PANORAMIC SUNROOF" would be better option than 8th seater consider this is a mini van...
Sunroof for the hybrid is a $1,795 add-on option.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 02:01 AM

Another guess is they want to keep the max vehicle weight below some limit. The batteries and hybrid system make it heavier than a gas only van.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyaz View Post
Can you guys confirm that there's no option to add the 8th seat? Is the Pacifica Hybrid strictly 7th seater?
Yes, that is correct. The 8th seat is one of many things that Chrysler decided to make unavailable on the Hybrid. We can guess about the reasons, but I don't think we'll ever really know why.

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:12 AM

Upon taking a close look at many different Pacificas yesterday, we noticed a few different things, this was the first time we were able to see all the different trim levels side by side... It seems that FCA made the Hybrid 7 seater only, possibly due to the alternative access available through the center to the 3rd row. This would be crucial when there would be two child seats in the 2nd row in both captain's chairs, whereas you cannot get access into the 3rd row easily by just moving the seat forward if a car seat is buckled in. It was an ah ha moment and became very apparent when we started moving things around and getting in and out of the 3rd row area.

Also, the reason why the 2nd row seats can't tilt forward with a child seat in place is due to the mechanical hinges needed for that operation to "swing down" that go under the floor pan, and this is where the Hybrid batteries are located. I imagine there is some way to make that work, although would require a full re-engineering of the seat bracket and hinges assembly.
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnikGirl View Post
It seems that FCA made the Hybrid 7 seater only, possibly due to the alternative access available through the center to the 3rd row. This would be crucial when there would be two child seats in the 2nd row in both captain's chairs, whereas you cannot get access into the 3rd row easily by just moving the seat forward if a car seat is buckled in
While I do agree that 3rd row access through the center of the 2nd row is easier when you have 2 car seats in the second row, that's not really a valid reason to NOT offer the 8th seat as an option. Even if you get the 8th seat option, it can be removed. So you could leave it out of the van entirely for the years that car seats are strapped in and add it later when the kids get older. Access to the 3rd row through the center is actually easier with the 8th seat removed than it is in a 7 passenger because there aren't any inboard armrests to get in the way.

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Well... I have never own a Van, but we have rent a few and all the one we rent have 3 seat in the middle row. We were still able to tilt the two side seat forward for the back passenger to get in no problem.

As for the over weight, I guess this is different for everyone. Say you put 7 peoples into the 7 seater and each wait 200lbs = 1400lbs. But if you put 8 peoples that weight only 150lbs each... 1200lbs... I wouldn't think the seat would weight more than 300lbs. Also, wouldn't the component of adding the Paranomic Sunroof weight more than the 8th seat? I would figure the glass and frame is way heavier than the standard roof.

Anyway... it is what it is and it seem Chrysler already did their study.... I would most likely be wrong, but I feel like I'm not going to be the only one who CAN'T buy this Van because of this reason. But it doesn't matter, it's not like Chrysler is going to read this and do something about it... haha.

thanks all for the confirmation. Time to hope some other brand would go for this Hybrid Minivan Plug in fad.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:28 PM

My guess is that an 8 seat option would require more parts on hand (4 different second-row seat styles instead of the 3 styles that they have now. Of course that's also multiplied by different color schemes)
And additional complexity for the body (2 possible floors for the hybrid instead of just one)

And an 8-seat option on the hybrid would likely wind up with less comfortable seats in the 2nd row than what they have now.

I predict that they'll add 8-seat option to the hybrid some year in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page