Lease or Finance? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Lease or Finance?

I placed my deposit for the PHEV few weeks ago, waiting for VIN number still

Upon delivery ill have to choose between Finance or Lease. My dealer offer 0% interest with finance but 2.5% with Lease

what you guys did for yours? im leaning toward lease because i know that in a few years the pacifica will offer at least 100 miles on a charge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilimats View Post
I placed my deposit for the PHEV few weeks ago, waiting for VIN number still

Upon delivery ill have to choose between Finance or Lease. My dealer offer 0% interest with finance but 2.5% with Lease

what you guys did for yours? im leaning toward lease because i know that in a few years the pacifica will offer at least 100 miles on a charge
There's a lot of variables here, especially with the PHEV. Is your federal income tax liability less than $7,500 typically? If so, you won't get the full $7,500 back. If you lease, the full amount should be factored into the lease.

Does your state have incentives for plug-in electric vehicles? I believe most that do are only applicable to purchases, not leases.

Are you going want something else in 3 years? Sounds like yes, which could be good for a lease.

Leases are best for vehicles that don't depreciate as fast AND you typically plan on wanting a different vehicle in 3 years. Honda, Toyota, Acura, etc. fit this mold pretty well. Not as much with Chrysler.
MikeyG likes this.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 06:55 PM

kilimats,

Do you have any numbers for the lease other than the money factor? Down/monthly/residual?

thanks in advance.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 07:46 PM

I plan to lease our PHEV...I'm worried that the new presidential administration is going to roll back a lot of the EV incentives, and correspondingly auto manufacturers (besides Tesla) are going to lose enthusiasm very quickly for EVs. I can see Chrysler investing very little or even abandoning the Pacifica Hybrid within a year or two. So I don't want to be stuck long-term with a car that might be difficult to service and that won't command much resale value.

Or...the total opposite could happen...EVs continue to flourish and 3 years from now there is a pure electric minivan from Chrysler, Toyota, and Honda. In that scenario I also think the current Pacifica Hybrid might see a big drop in resale value when there are more/better options out there.

Basically, this: I can't post links so just Google "Tesla Aside, Resale Values for Electric Cars Are Still Tanking"

I've never leased before and overall prefer buying, but in this case given all the uncertainty around EVs I think leasing makes sense.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Lease totally depends on what they want to set the residual at
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:23 PM

Chrysler Just released the lease price on their website for 48 mos with 10k/yr at that, for an extraordinary $509/mo. The MF must be high, mid 4% equivalent & residual less than 50% based on those numbers. Keep in mind that lease incorporates the $7500 tax credit. A lease in the $400's for 36/12 should be attainable, although not upon initial release. Looks like we will definitely be waiting until summer or late summer to make a deal when they get off their high horse. With the new 18' Oddy coming out end of summer, that will probably be the ideal time to pick up a Pacifica...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:57 PM

Wow, that is ridiculous! Who in the world is going to pay that? Lots of import buying families might take the leap on the Pacifica Hybrid (much as they did with the Volt) but not at that price.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:09 PM

I went to the web site and I may be wrong but it did not look to me like that payment incorporated the 7500 credit into it.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepowner View Post
I went to the web site and I may be wrong but it did not look to me like that payment incorporated the 7500 credit into it.
It may not, it wasn't specific, although it does incorporate a down payment of $4600. I was expecting $1k or less down to be in the low $400's for 36/12. Mid $400's for 36/15 as we are going to do if it makes sense. Regardless, see some ball park numbers that I ran below... The MF may be lower, and the residual may be lower for a 48 mo. I don't know who would go for a 48 mo lease though. Most likely they posted those numbers just to stay within the "norm" of lease payments in comparison to the other trim levels.
Attached Images
File Type: png Pacifica Auto Lease estimate..png (124.7 KB, 28 views)
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:41 PM

I'm not very good at interpreting leases, but is Chrysler essentially saying they except this model will hold its value? Or do they think it will depreciate a LOT, and are thus passing that cost on to the consumer?

2017 Chevy Volt LT
Best EV Range: 74 miles (5+ miles per kWh)
Current MPGe: 109
Current Miles: 15,000+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page