2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Wait - 17" Wheels?

52K views 129 replies 53 participants last post by  sPacifica 
#1 ·
I ordered a Pacifica Hybrid yesterday and noticed a $175 "discount" on the price for the 17" wheels. Looking online at the Chrysler website, it says that 18" is standard and there is no option to change. Are folks getting 17" wheels when they order or the 18"?

I don't really care what wheels it has, I just found it odd.

#2 ·
Sometimes when there's a shortage on parts that are standard, they will omit or substitute the parts and issue a credit for the difference. This happened with the hands-free doors and liftgate in early builds. Usually, the credit is far less than the actual cost difference though. Perhaps that's what's going on here?

#6 ·
I agree. $175 is some BS. That's probably more realistic as to what the upgrade cost is between 17" and 18" wheels/tires. $895 is a rip for just upping the size. It's not like they give you another whole set of wheels/tires. I just got the 17" on our Touring-L Plus and intend to get a set of 18's or 19's later and use the 17" ones for snow tires.

#8 ·
Is the design of the 17" Hybrid wheels the same as the 18" Hybrid wheels?

And when my order was placed, the paperwork indicated the 18" wheels. How would I know if they plan to change my wheels now that my order was placed and my VIN was issued?

#9 ·
I asked about the 17" vs 18" wheels through Chrysler customer service chat, and they directed me to the dealership, claiming they cannot see the actual specs until the vehicle enters the shipping phase.

I'm really hoping I am getting the 18" rims as listed on my paperwork. I'm not a big fan of the look of the 17" Premium Hybrid rims.

#15 ·
For a buyer who had 18" specified on the paperwork at the time of the order, can Chrysler make the change without notifying the customer?

Could I show up to the dealership when the vehicle is delivered and only then find out I have rims that I didn't order??

#19 ·
Can they? Sure! You would be within your rights to not accept the vehicle and get a refund of any deposit. But that's likely not the result anyone is hoping for either.

#17 · (Edited)
Same thing here. I asked 2 dealers, they seem to be unable to generate WPU option instead of wpz. They both however try to assure that the car will have 18 inch in the end. Of course somehow I feel I will be the only one to take the loss if they are not.

While I don't like taking the dealer's word for it, I don't think they have a reason not to put the right option on the order if they could. They had no problem manipulating any other option on the order at my request.

Say what you will, I like tesla sales model much better.

#18 ·
This happened with early runs of other models as well. Credits for missing window shades, no hands free, no vacuum, etc. In all cases the credits were for much less than the cost of the option.

You always have the option to walk away, or you could try to get the dealer to swap the wheels / rims for another vehicle or provide after market rims.

#20 ·
My yesterday dealer generated build sheet said estimated ship date of 2/8 but I highly doubt that will occur as I see no build sheet yet for my VIN. I did notice the build sheet from a member posted last week still shows 18" wheels. I would think we will know if we made the cut by our build sheets once in production. I don't mind the 17" wheels so much, but $156 (don't forget most of us are working off invoice price) is not going to be close to the loss in resale value as these cars will look much like the Premium trim at thousands less. If mine is chosen for 17", I think I will refund deposit and wait for bigger discounts and/or the July 1st Maryland EV rebate to kick in, maybe even for the 2018 updates. Hard to believe they have supply chain issues with "wheels" on this first gen PHEV.

#23 · (Edited)
Ok, so I talked to Chrysler too, they couldn't see my order either and tried to refer me back to the dealer. I however explained that i contacted 3 of them with similar order and they all generated WGZ option and none could explain why order contradicts the standard equipment and i am not comfortable with verbal assurances contradicting something in writing.

Apparently the CSR actually took time to call the dealer who placed the order (which is probably a heroic step up on their part, given apparent documentation chaos they have to work with) and whatever conversation happened, CSR also eventually said it would be 18', and that apparently this entry means not that they would be on, but rather that they would be off and the 18 option is on (???). My mental eyebrows flew up even higher than after they said they had to call dealer, but ok. I left it at that.

I don't know if i am supposed to feel better now that i have assurances from Chrysler themselves, or worse because they had to resort consulting the dealer on that, but at least i have confirmations in writing from both dealer and Chrysler on that that i can go back to.

This is my first experience with either ordering or any Chrysler car (and i bought about 7 or 8 cars before), it's a leap for me, and I got to say Chrysler's process is weird.

BTW on the Chrysler parts site the retail price for WGZ (17") is actually higher than WPU (18" per brochure). And not by much (to the tune of about $200). so maybe, indeed, it is actually a discount for this WGZ->WPU swap?

#25 ·
Update: Dealer now says there is indeed a production issue with 18 inch wheels with no ETA. Order canceled as not-to-spec.

Well, maybe for the better.

Maybe i am not ready to be a Chrysler's customer yet.

Maybe i need to see how it goes with the first batch before throwing 45k on it. My Sam's DTM is likely to expire though now.

#28 ·
I texted my dealer and they said everything on their end indicated 18" wheels, but he would call me with update if it changed. I also ordered Jan 9th.

My question, if the wheels were wrong, why not just have 18" wheels sent to dealer once they are back in stock and swapped out at next scheduled tire rotation?

#29 · (Edited)
Just got a confirmation from another dealer that this is a "restriction" they cannot overcome for new orders. They promise to find out what is going on, but probably will be given the same answer as the first one -- no ETA. This seems to be a fairly recent change though. However, if they don't have the wheels i guess it doesn't matter whether order does have it, they still would get delayed.

Yet another dealer flatly says that hybrids "not coming out yet" (regardless of configuration) with no ETA.

(on the other hand, those who accept WGZ wheels, perhaps could get things moving sooner for them? Maybe that's the, or one of the reasons why those with December orders are still waiting for the build. If I had a couple of months worth of orders I cannot fill, i'd start taking orders I can fill now, instead of increasing the backlog and not filling any at all, wouldn't i?)

#36 ·
I believe the hybrid wheels are designed to allow less air into them than the standard wheels, which is why there isn't as much open space in them. It reduces brake cooling, but that doesn't matter in the hybrid since the brakes aren't working as hard with regenerative braking. It also makes for better aerodynamics, which would be lost with the 20" wheels since they don't make a hybrid version of those.

Reactions: Tsnor
#40 · (Edited)
FWIW, as of today, 4 (out of 5) dealers say 17" WGZ is forced on new orders. One is not sure (or doesn't want to be sure). Those who I asked about it, say they have no way to update the order with different options once placed (but it probably can be cancelled at some early stages apparently, since i had mine cancelled.) Checked today with one of the dealers, he says the restriction is still in place as of today no ETA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.