Terrible gas mileage - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Terrible gas mileage

I've had my limited since July. I've done two long road trips, completely highway, almost completely on cruise control, and the best mileage I've gotten is 24. I'm livid. One trip was before the first oil change and one was after so that didn't help. City driving I get 16, max. My old giant SUV did far better than this. I took it in bc of this and they said if it's within 6 mpg it's within tolerance. Well it's not within 6, and I don't find 6 acceptable either. I'm at the point I'm going to keep taking it back until I can lemon it. Anyone else have this and get it resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Did you calculate it manually or just going by the trip computer?
ljnelson109 likes this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM

That 18 City 28 Hwy is on Ideal conditions. It's all dependent on how you drive.

I am sure I won't get getting near the ratings because sometimes I like to stomp on it at times going uphill or not.
Also me cruising at 75-80 mph on the Hwy ain't helping either or getting up to that speed quicker than normal and then cruising.

I just got a 288 range from all city driving which shows me I been like avg 15 mpg, but then between bursts and resetting the computer a bunch of times I am not surprised.
I've seen it up to 390 range when I been doing light HWY driving in between.

Maybe on the next long trip try resetting all the trip and the MPG ratings and see if you come out short..

Also next fill up reset your trip A or B and see how much mileage you get before your fill up and calculate that manually.

2017 Red Velvet Pacifica Limited

Uconnect Theater and Sound Group
Tire and Wheel Group
Advance Safety Tech Group
KeySense

Embrace the Speed!!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:40 PM

I've never come close to the EPA estimates with any of my cars. I have been getting similar mpg to what you are seeing, your car is not a lemon, your driving style is

BTW, they never go over 60mph on the EPA freeway tests. The most I saw on my Pacifica on a road trio was 24-25mpg (computer estimate) and that was on hilly terrain, with a passenger and a couple hundred pounds of equipment in the back going 70-85pmh the whole way. Considering I got less than that with my 4 cylinder Mazda 5 (which was also rated at 28mpg/hwy) I wasn't all that disappointed. I have no idea how some have reported getting 30mpg with their Pacifica, they must be driving below the speed limit on the freeway or something

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Pho View Post
I have no idea how some have reported getting 30mpg with their Pacifica, they must be driving below the speed limit on the freeway or something
Not every road trip is on the highway. My last trip was about 5 hours on state roads where the speed limit was 50mph, and I averaged 29mpg. But when I did hit the highway, and speed up to 70mph, my mileage quickly dropped to about 24mpg.

Ordered 9/19/16 -- Built 10/7/16 -- Delivered 10/27/16:
2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
Not every road trip is on the highway. My last trip was about 5 hours on state roads where the speed limit was 50mph, and I averaged 29mpg. But when I did hit the highway, and speed up to 70mph, my mileage quickly dropped to about 24mpg.

Oh I know, but looking at the fuel mileage thread there are folks getting high mileage in mixed driving, one I believe has seen as high as 34mpg and 27.7mpg over 13 fuel ups. I have not seen anything close to that, maybe he/she is pushing the car around LOL

konnerbllb likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Pho View Post
looking at the fuel mileage thread...

Yeah, I'm betting some of those posters are either exaggerating, drafting semis, or possibly both.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:40 PM

gas mileage

Just put on 150 miles about 25 on country roads the rest in town and got about 20.2 average hand figured. That is about what I thought it should be.The summer blend gas an d warmer weather gets better mileage. The higher the mileage you are supposed to get the more variation you will get.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 04:51 PM

Does anyone know how the computer calculates mileage? I haven't religiously calculated mine, but I've done it by hand twice and was low compared to the computer both times (by around 1 mpg or so). Does it ignore the gas I burn idling, or something like that?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 11:58 PM

I had a T&C prior to the Pacifica and the trip computer was 10% optimistic. And I believe the highway mileage was rated at 25 or thereabouts. In a decade of driving that vehicle I never saw that number. Haven't made any highway trips with the Pacifica yet, but mileage has been better than the T&C, and the computer is pretty close to accurate. But as they say, YMMV...

Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts. - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page