2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

gas mileage

45K views 101 replies 48 participants last post by  citanic 
#1 ·
MPG - What MPG are you seeing?

Got a Limited last week with Advanced Tech package. Here is what I'm seeing for real world MPG.

325 total miles, Mixed City, Expressway (75mph) and country (55mph) roads = Ave MPG=24.2 which is better than the 22 MPG combined number advertised! An it's not even broken in yet.

The "sweet spot" seems to be 50-55mph on side roads where I've seen 31.5 MPG Average on 15 mile short trips.

Even on Expressways going 75mph the instant MPG shows 28-32 MPG consistently. Coming from a Ford Flex Ecoboost where the mileage suffered immensely when speeds exceeded 65mph I'm happy seeing the Pacifica still returning average highway MPG of 28.

Would like to hear what others are getting for MPG. :grin2:

#3 ·
My "mostly highway" commute shows an average between 29-33 MPG depending on congestion. I find that the 35 Mph - 45 Mph backroads yield a FANTASTIC MPG if I let the Adaptive Cruise Control do all the throttling. That 9-speed transmission is EXTREMELY efficient if you have a very light-touch... hence letting the computer do it. :)

#4 ·
Went up to visit my boy last week and in 3 tankfuls of gas one I got 23.4 miles per gallon in mostly short drives and around town.another tank going up to his home I got 32 and on the last tank coming home I got 29.1. Very happy with the gas mileage.Didnt have any problems and put on about 1200 miles.love my van.

#7 ·
That's good news on the gas mileage. I have not purchased a Pacifica yet, but plan to do so in the next 12 months, likely waiting for the 2018 model. I do drive a 2011 Dodge Durango with the Pentastar V6 engine, but an entirely different transmission (a 5 speed vs your 9 speed) than the Pacifica. Even though not the same vehicle, I do get respectable mileage on the Durango. The other day when returning from Michigan, I was seeing 26 MPG on the computer with two bikes on my hitch mounted bike rack. The conditions were mostly ideal. Now, if I drive into a stiff headwind, that will drop to 22 or 23 MPG. I have read where Chrysler is either thinking about or has it in their plans to offer a cylinder deactivation feature for the Pacifica, further increasing gas mileage performance on the highway. The point I am making here is this V6 engine is a solid performer and gets good gas mileage from my experience and from what I see others report. Chrysler has made over 5 million of these V6 engines since they went into production in 2011. By the way, I have 86,000 trouble free miles on my vehicle and intend to keep it for the next several years.

#8 ·
I thought I read a review that the engine in the Pacifica is a new version? Transmission, too?

#10 ·
Yes and no.

The engine is tweaked and the tranny is the same 9 speed as the one in the Cherokees, but are more refined and polished off. Sounds like FCA has succeeded in refining this tranny. Probably a combo of the engine and tranny revised that fixed the 9 speed.

#69 ·
The Pacifica is really a nice vehicle---got mine in Dec 2017 and what a joy it is to ride BUT I have an issue with mine and Chrysler Care and the Dealer (Dallas Love Field Chrysler) just cannot solve! I get + - 14-15 MPG in very lite City traffic and on the Highway only 21-21MPG (70MPH). So I cannot rave about my Pacifica due to this problem and then the dealer tries to prove me wrong but I have the gas slips, mileage and calculations--they do not want my proof but they do not want to do the basic test by filling up, driving the vehicle on the highway @ 70mph and then fill up again. They do not want my proof however they do not want to show me their proof or calculations. We are in a catch 22 situation and they just do not want to test the vehicle with me. I wish I can get proper Chrysler Care support that will manage my gas mileage consumpsion issue...If there is a Chrysler Care representative readng this i will give you the last 8 of my VIN and then you can follow up......I would really appreciate to get some good support from Chrysler Care

Last 8 of VIN: HR650770

#11 ·
Day 2 of my LX and drove 80 mile "gently with brief periods of wide open throttle" like the book says and got 31.4 mpg. Flat, 55 mph, pretty much perfect for good mileage but the dozen or so wot periods did lower it a bit. I am super impressed, I'm coming from an f-150'anf a focus st and I had to pull a lot of tricks to get the epa estimates in those vehicles.

#12 ·
I can get 29-32 MPG if I pay attention to "hyper-miling" techniques.
I try to use the brake as little as possible. I mostly control my highway speed using ACC and manipulating the various buttons on the steering wheel.

Example... if I am on a flat straight-away and I see my MPG is only around 26-27 on the display, I find that a quick "tap" on the CANCEL button (watch the MPGs go up to about 70-80 MPG) and then tap RESUME... it appears that the computer will choose a higher gear coming back online and I can usually get the same span of road back up to about 30-40 MPG at that speed.

If I see brake-lights ahead, I tap CANCEL and let it coast on its own until I can see that I will not NEED to slow down, then tap RESUME.

I shut the van off at traffic lights that I KNOW are long and that I'm stuck at.

I can set the ACC to it's "nearest distance" behind a bus, truck or large box-van on my commute and I see the MPGs rise from being within the wake of said vehicle... yet it's not too-close to be unsafe.

Etc. etc. etc.

All these things together, I can actually get a *COMBINED* 2-3 day MPG reading of about 31-MPG.

#13 ·
I shut the van off at traffic lights that I KNOW are long and that I'm stuck at..
I bet the 2018 model will add automatic stop/start to bump the mileage rating up a bit. I've seen a couple articles mention that it will be added to the 2017 "mid cycle", but if that were the case, I would think we'd see it listed as "late availability" like several other things were. I think it's more likely they're just doing the same thing they did with the Jeep Cherokee, and waiting until the 2nd model year to add it.

#19 ·
Gas mileage driving in town

Hello All,
I purchased a Limited and have close to 900 miles on it. My wife uses it primarily to pick up and drop kids from school and for other activities i.e. 95% of driving is in the city.

We have been getting approx 15.5 mpg so far and wanted to check in with all of you to see what mileage you have been getting driving in town. I had filled a survey with Chrysler complaining about the low gas mileage and someone from MOPAR called me told me that gas mileage will increase after I put in approx 2000 miles on the van. Not sure if I agree.

Would love to get some thoughts on this.

#26 ·
Hello All,
I purchased a Limited and have close to 900 miles on it. My wife uses it primarily to pick up and drop kids from school and for other activities i.e. 95% of driving is in the city.

We have been getting approx 15.5 mpg so far and wanted to check in with all of you to see what mileage you have been getting driving in town. I had filled a survey with Chrysler complaining about the low gas mileage and someone from MOPAR called me told me that gas mileage will increase after I put in approx 2000 miles on the van. Not sure if I agree.

Would love to get some thoughts on this.
Have you checked tires for proper inflation? That could be culprit. Sometimes it's missed in the Pre delivery inspection. A few psi low could make a few mpg difference. Also if your city drives are super short in stop and go that will reduce your mpg.

#20 ·
Been getting around 17 around town. Was expecting higher but hopefully it will after broken in. We took it on our first road trip about 250 each way. We got 24.8 mpg. That's with 5 people and trunk fully loaded. Also loaded the 2 stow and go bins. Had AC running full blast as well.

#27 ·
A contributing factor to less MPG is tire size. Going from 18" to 20" appears to cause about a 1.5 decrease in MPG. That might make MPG comparisons less valuable unless people include tire size. Of course, driving style makes a huge difference. So comparing MPG can become rather meaningless.

#28 ·
A contributing factor to less MPG is tire size. Going from 18" to 20" appears to cause about a 1.5 decrease in MPG.
Where did you get that information? Why would the inside diameter of the tire make a difference in MPG if the outside circumference is the same?

#29 ·
It all depends on how you drive it if go to the drive up window at the bank and idle the van miledge is very bad so I usually shut it off and restart it or if I go to taco Bell and get stuck behind a lot of cars again I shut off and restart it as my mileage really goes down but all the cars I have owned have been like that.

#31 ·
After 777 miles of driving I have averaged a disappointing 14.4. It is mostly suburban driving. You cannot go by the gas mileage readout because the manufacturer always sets them high. I have found that Chrysler vehicles usually read about 1 MPG more than actual measured and Toyota raises their readings by about 2MPG as I have had several. I stopped by my Chrysler dealer Chrysler and the adviser told me it can take up to 5,000 miles to get better mileage.This is the worst MPG I have gotten in many years.

#35 ·
Yeah about the same as well. We have very short stints in city driving and that just kills the gas mileage. Highway gas mileage is great. 32 mpg at 65 mph. We have 20's if that makes a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.