Backup Camera issue - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-25-2016, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Backup Camera issue

When backing out (or in) my garage the difference in lighting causes the backup camera to go dark, I can't see anything contrast is too dark. All my other vehicles backup cameras adjusted to the light difference fine.

Anyone else seeing this?

Everywhere else it works fine, just not into or out of the garage. Maybe something is wrong with it.
peanutmom2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 12:49 AM

I haven't seen it. I seem to be getting enough light from headlights, backup lights, and the garage door lights that come on automatically when the door opens and closes. I do have an unusual amount of light (artificial and ambient) in my garage though. For you is it worse during the day (or night)?
post #3 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:28 AM

I have not encountered that particular issue, sorry.
My "issue" is that I wish I could set the backup-lines to fixed-straight... So that they do NOT curve depending on the turning of the steering wheel. While I understand that it may be helpful to some, I just want to see the straight lines for orientation purposes.

As far as adjusting to incoming light... I have yet to see what you describe, but will watch for it.

post #4 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

With the long summer days I have yet to try it at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
I haven't seen it. I seem to be getting enough light from headlights, backup lights, and the garage door lights that come on automatically when the door opens and closes. I do have an unusual amount of light (artificial and ambient) in my garage though. For you is it worse during the day (or night)?
post #5 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so during the day, a bright sunny day, I backed into my garage and the rear camera goes dark when the back end enters the garage. If I change the camera view to wide view it brightens right up (but guidelines disappear). After entering all the way in I switch back to narrow view and it's dark again. After closing the garage door (still in reverse) the rear camera brightens up! So it must be using the front camera for the rear camera's contrast/brightness setting, this doesn't seem right.
Can someone else please try this to see if the front camera sets the rear camera's brightness/contrast?
peanutmom2001 likes this.
post #6 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 PM

It's possible it could be a software fault, if so, if it comes down to that then you can always try to reset it, sometimes that's all these systems need. Might even want to try consulting your dealer while waiting for a response here.

- 2010 300C SRT8
- 2017 Chrylser Pacifica (late 2016 delivery)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:03 PM

So, I am wondering if because of the 360-degree view, the cameras all choose a common exposure in real-time so it can stitch-together the 4 cameras effectively with the same exposure. Whichever one is brightest, etc...

If they all set their exposures independently, then you might get some funky 360-views... or maybe I'm mistaken and it has nothing to do with that.
post #8 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

I see what you are saying, the 360 degree view looks bright all around. It's just the rear camera that is almost 100 percent black. Kinda makes that view worthless.

I had this happen today while backing up outside, only thing that was behind me was a tall bush. Since there is no known way for me to reset (as previously stated) the cameras I am going to call the dealer about it tomorrow. Hopefully it can be easily reproduced by them.
post #9 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

I just got back from the Dealer, they confirmed the issue but said there was nothing they could do since there was no bulletin on the issue. They also said that (in their opinion) the default backup view should be the wide rear view, not the top/rear view because that is for perpendicular parking. I disagree because the default view is the one with the backup lines to assist you.

Other vehicles I've owned with a backup cameras have never acted like this. I am going to send Chrysler an email on this because I feel it poses a very dangerous safety condition, I can't see anything when the exposure makes the camera go black, not good.

I'll try and post a picture of what it looks like.

Ed
post #10 of 90 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa60 View Post
I just got back from the Dealer, they confirmed the issue but said there was nothing they could do since there was no bulletin on the issue. They also said that (in their opinion) the default backup view should be the wide rear view, not the top/rear view because that is for perpendicular parking. I disagree because the default view is the one with the backup lines to assist you.

Other vehicles I've owned with a backup cameras have never acted like this. I am going to send Chrysler an email on this because I feel it poses a very dangerous safety condition, I can't see anything when the exposure makes the camera go black, not good.

I'll try and post a picture of what it looks like.

Ed
Pictures uploaded (I hope)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160630_120327a.jpg (164.0 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20160630_120337a.jpg (205.6 KB, 148 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page