Vehicle SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Vehicle SHUT OFF WHILE DRIVING

hi, I haven't seen any posts on this yet, but the other day while I was driving, my pacifica's engine turned off WHILE I WAS MOVING. I had no warning, just that it stopped accelerating and the screen said that car must be in park to put it in drive. Thankfully I had just turned onto a residential street, however, due to the steering being electronic, I had lost the power steering. I had to coast to a stop, then put it in park and press the on button with foot on brake like normal starting. The more I think about this, the more scared I am to drive the van! What if it had happened anywhere else! I had an appointment at the dealer the next morning already, so I told the tech what had happened. They checked the car and it didn't have any codes on it. As if it never happened. I am not sure what to do at this point, I'm really nervous about driving it. The tech couldn't tell me anything. I didn't have any warning, and nothing weird happened with the vehicle before the shut off of the engine. The tech checked to see if my car needed a software update to fix the problem and there was none. My thought was that if a car needed a software update to not shut off randomly while in operation, maybe you shouldn't be selling the dang car!!! Any advice/suggestions? I've never had an issue like this before!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:33 PM

You should put in a complaint on nhtsa
EV2 likes this.
post #3 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did you accidentally hold the start button for a few seconds? That would cause the car to shut down while moving.
Rctini likes this.

post #4 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Nope, just had hands on the wheel. I don't put my hands anywhere near the start button while driving!
Tsnor likes this.
post #5 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laprincipessa View Post
Nope, just had hands on the wheel. I don't put my hands anywhere near the start button while driving!
You might want to cut down on the caps/exclamation points. I was just trying to help. Good luck.
post #6 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 08:28 PM

Are you driving a Pacifica van or a Pacifica car? You keep referring to "car" in your post.
post #7 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

It is the new Pacifica van. 2017.
post #8 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 09:46 PM

Had a 1990 olds that did it and it turned out to be the main computer .Dont know if it applies today but back then the main computer would leave no trouble codes .Dont know why but the only way it could be checked was to try a new computer.Mine did it several times it would just stop then you could start it up again.Daughter had a new cavalier that did the same thing and was the main computer.
post #9 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM

Any update here?
post #10 of 190 (permalink) Old 09-20-2016, 12:28 PM

Wow.....So scary. Glad you are OK. I'd be furious.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page