Body Side Molding - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post
I actually found this website outside of seeing it here first. Glad you shared the pictures. I was going to opt for a engraved one but seeing that it is in the back of the car, I will pass.
Personally I like the Pacifica engraving, it is distinctive but also understated because it is body color and pressed into the molding. But if you don't, happy I could help you decide. IMO, either way they are a nice and useful addition to the Pacifica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 07:22 PM

Garage
Thanks for the pics, pricing and links. If I opt to do these, I'm glad they have tusk white.

Limited. Tusk.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW23 View Post
Glad it worked out for you and they were able to customize with a black strip. I think you will be pleased with the quality when you receive them, in my experience the plastic molding and paint is equivalent to OEM standards.

One bit of advice (per my original post) before you permanently adhere them, use masking tape to test fit in place to make sure you are comfortable with the door gap. The flat ends of the strip don't perfectly contour to the door gap and between front and rear side doors. It's not a big deal but if you are picky, you might regret not breaking out the cutting tools and touch up paint to get a more exact match.

KW
I received them last week and yet to open the tube, busy and get home wanting to do nothing! I did want to ask you though, did they give you a template or measurement or did you just guess as to where you wanted to mount them? I use a good cleaner then use Pro Bond before mounting or sticking items on my cars so they will last, so I don't want to screw this up!!!! Thanks for any advice...

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-18-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoncaravanman View Post
I received them last week and yet to open the tube, busy and get home wanting to do nothing! I did want to ask you though, did they give you a template or measurement or did you just guess as to where you wanted to mount them? I use a good cleaner then use Pro Bond before mounting or sticking items on my cars so they will last, so I don't want to screw this up!!!! Thanks for any advice...
No template but they do provide alcohol cleaning pads and a couple tubes of pro-bond. The 1 page instructions sheet is ok, but they have utube videos as well if you need more expansive instructions.

From my experience the placement measurements (distance up from the body line) they recommend provide a nice match to the angle of the existing lower chrome strip. As such I would suggest you start there, mark off at each end with an oil pen and connect the points with a strip of masking tape to set your base or bottom line. Best to have a helper for this step to stretch the tape tight and do both front and back doors to make sure your line flows evenly.

Once you set a good base, you can slide the moldings side to side in order to get tight fitment to the door gap between front and rear side doors, which IMO is the tricky part given the angles don't match up perfectly as I described in my earlier posts.

Good luck!

Last edited by KW23; 11-18-2016 at 10:38 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW23 View Post
Given how low the factory body side molding is positioned and how anal I am about door dings, I bought some additional protection from www.sportwing.com. I have purchased kits from them previously for other cars and been pleased with product quality. The Pacifica set lived up to my previous experience (excellent paint quality and color match) but I also got a nice surprise in that they imprint or deboss the word "Pacifica" into the plastic molding, see pictures attached.
I opted for the chrome strip because I thought it would look nice with the other chrome accents but if that's not your thing they also have a painted only option. All in all, I am very pleased with the results except for the fact that if I did the installation over again I would probably cut the straight ends to better match the contour of the door gap. At this point it's water under the bridge or splitting hairs for me but for anyone else contemplating body side molding, a little trimming and touch up paint on the straight ends would make for a more OEM look.

KW
KW......I was wondering if you could measure the position of the moldings on the PAcifica that you put on, I have yet to install mine and wanted to make sure I do it correct. How far from bottom molding close to edge front door and rear edge on slider?

Damon
1985 Dodge Caravan LE cream w/wood
1985 Dodge Caravan LE mink brown w/wood
2011 Chrysler Town & Country
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited in Tusk White
several other cars

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damoncaravanman View Post
KW......I was wondering if you could measure the position of the moldings on the PAcifica that you put on, I have yet to install mine and wanted to make sure I do it correct. How far from bottom molding close to edge front door and rear edge on slider?
I recommend the same measurements as the instructions; see picture attached, you just measure up from the body line. One exception, I suggest you use an 1/8 inch from the door gap for both front and rear moldings, the directions indicate a 1/4 inch for the rear which I think is a little much. Also, make sure you measure from middle of the molding end as the door gap line is not straight like the molding ends.

As I mentioned earlier you might also consider cutting the ends to better match the door gap contour, I didn't do this but it would make for a more OEM look if you have the time and skills. Best of luck!

KW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2918JPG.jpg (705.2 KB, 39 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page