Add additional monitors to theater package - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tsax6010

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 12:08 AM Thread Starter

Add additional monitors to theater package

What video protocol/connection do the seat back video screens use in the 2017 Pacifica? This is a pretty technical question that only someone that has installed or fixed a theater system would know.

We have a Town and Country with the dual DVD player, but we can't see the screen from the passenger seat even in park. My solution was to add an additional portable monitor in the front that we just keep in the glove box. The non-HD monitors of the primitive entertainment system were just standard 2-wire video so It was easy to find the pin-out and splice in an additional monitor.

Now we want to get a new Pacifica and we're going to have kids in the third row. They need to see the movie, and the only solution I can see is adding some portable monitors to the back. So, what video protocol is used for the existing monitors that I can splice into or split? Composite? HDMI? VGA? DVI? Worst case is a proprietary system.

Thanks for any hints!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 07:00 AM

I will say that we were wary of going from a T&C that had the third row flip down screen to the Pacifica with both screens in the second row, but we tested sitting in the third row and the screens are surprisingly very visible.
Gohawks1224 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 09:47 AM

I have a feeling that it isn't going to be very simple compared to the system that was in your town & country since the rear screens are also touch screens. I wouldn't doubt that the screens use the same protocol as HDMI but don't use an HDMI connector since they aren't really made for mobile use (bouncing around and such). Anything digital isn't going to be a simple splice. Even if it were simply HDMI, you would need an active HDMI splitter since their is communication involved with HDMI.

I looked up the rear screen on Mopar Parts online but it doesn't show much detail at all. You can purchase another factory screen for about $350 though. You'd have to make a way to mount it. Not sure about getting it to work though. Probably even more complicated unless there is magically an extra port on the main control/video unit. This system is more than a simple blu-ray/dvd player as it has built in apps and games. "Are we there yet" has to be part of the main navigation unit in order to know the destination and distance.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I know I'd need an active splitter, and I'm not sure if there is a main control unit or if the seatback screens have their own controllers/video processors.

I thought about being able to see the opposite screen from the back row, but that's a pretty far viewing distance and a lot to ask from a 4 and 5 yo, lol.

I'm going to try and talk to some service techs but if anyone has any more info, please chime in. I'm not sure if local dealers even do any of this installation or if it's all handled before delivery.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 02:24 AM

Garage
I don't know man... I too had no problems viewing the screen from the third row and the kids will be in boosters/car seats anyhow. Plus, I can play a movie on my phone, stuck on the dash of my current car, and every child from the second to the third row is glued to it. They do not have the same desires and needs as you and I do. Appreciate your willingness to do this though but I am afraid your option might be a cheap Kindle Fire HDX ($79 for kids version).

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

I've considered that and might end up there, but if I can do a little research and splice a cable or two and get what I want then great! As complex as this system is tho, I'm not sure if I'll find an easy path.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page