General MPG curiosity - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

General MPG curiosity

I know none of you will have the answers now, but just sharing my general curiosity of the future Gas-only MPG of the Hybrid Pacifica.

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the fuel economy of my current Pacifica Limited. Assuming that there is any level of accuracy and it's not exaggerated or falsified, I am averaging low-30s for MPG for my highway commute... some days, it's as high as 33-34 mpg. That (to me) is AMAZING for a vehicle of this size.

I assume that the Hybrid version will NOT be the same powertrain up front (just guessing) and until I get a job where there is EV parking/charging and/or I install one at home, I would want (need) the gas-only efficiency to be as-good if not better than my current Pacifica.

Crossing-fingers.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:36 AM Thread Starter

Question

Why was this thread moved to the "Lounge" section of the forums...? I posted it in the HYBRID section because it is specifically a curiosity about the HYBRID Pacifica.

EDIT: I just noticed the new sub-section about MPG, etc... but this really is HYBRID-centric.

*sigh* - okay, I guess.

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:30 AM

On the gas-only MPG of the Hybrid model - in the Picifica brochure (on page 7) it states the following:

"Look to the Hybrid technology for outstanding fuel economy of 80 MPGe,* a 30-mile electric range,* and a total driving range of 530 miles* with V6 powertrain and charge. The Hybrid model may be plugged in and electrically charged, as well as through regenerative braking by the gasoline engine."

I'm interpreting that as 530 miles "total", so 30 miles of pure electric (@ 80 MPGe), followed by 500 miles of "hybrid" (@ X MPG). Further on in the brochure (page 27) it states that the Hybrid model has a 16.5 gallon fuel tank (the gas model having 19 gallons).

With this info and assuming 500 is an optimistic figure, as marketing documents usually are, then X should be 500 miles /16.5 gallons = 30.3 MPG. Lower than I had hoped but clearly better than the Gas model's supposed 22 MPG combined. Maybe I've made a mistake or am wrong in an assumption but that's my expectation for gas-only MPG at the moment.

Source: Pacifica brochure - https://www.chrysler.com/assets/pdf/...erPacifica.pdf

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Yeah - I've seen the current vague stats and have done the same math - but we do not know for sure.
I am not a fan of the "combined" MPGe ratings... just tell me the combustion MPG and the electric range and be done with it.

I am hoping that the Hybrid version gets released in the next cpl months. Not like I'll be trading-in THAT soon, but it would be helpful to know.

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 AM

Talking Great overall MPG, but this

Overall, I have been very impressed with the fuel efficiency of the Chrysler Pacifica. I have been averaging almost 27 MPG on long highway trips with the ACC activated with maximum occupants and luggage. I have one issue, the fuel tank is only 19 gallons! Although this is not the end of the world, it does call for more frequent fuel stops on the highway which is fine with my wife and two daughters for potty breaks. In comparison, our Honda Odyssey had a 21 gallon tank, good for an easy 500 miles with mixed driving conditions. The Pacifica will get you about 400 before the low fuelwarning light appears on the dashboard. This difference in tank size is not that big of a deal, but I did get spoiled with the larger tank on our previous minivan. All-in-all, I would say, size does matter, but despite the smaller tank, I still love the Pacifica. It is the best minivan I have owned for overall comfort, fuel efficiency and versatility.

Last edited by Jaypoocha; 08-26-2016 at 11:29 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:28 PM

I'm wondering how this will do in mountainous regions. We always lose some fuel economy because of having to travel up mountains here but those with hybrids say they don't lose too much on theirs. This is a much bigger car than most of the other hybrids on the market at the moment though.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
... but those with hybrids say they don't lose too much on theirs.
My guess is that because with electricity, the energy consumed to get UP a mountain can be reclaimed going down via gravity and regenerative braking - whereas fossil fuel power gets burnt and any braking reduces stored energy/inertia into heat - not reusable energy.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:24 AM

I will put this question here rather than starting a new thread. In driving, say the Prius, one can put a light pressure to the pedal to keep the regen from engaging and allow the vehicle to coast like any gas powered vehicle. I haven't seen anyone comment on this ability in driving this hybrid. Is the push to have all decisions made about electric and gas use by this vehicle remove coasting as ever taking place?
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onusbonus View Post
I will put this question here rather than starting a new thread. In driving, say the Prius, one can put a light pressure to the pedal to keep the regen from engaging and allow the vehicle to coast like any gas powered vehicle. I haven't seen anyone comment on this ability in driving this hybrid. Is the push to have all decisions made about electric and gas use by this vehicle remove coasting as ever taking place?
In my Nissan Leaf I actually put the car in Neutral, while at speed, to accomplish coasting. Yes, you can also try to keep light pressure on the accelerator pedal to keep the gauge between regen and power usage. In reality, though, you are doing a little bit of one or the other. I don't know if using neutral on the Pacifica will be practical. They have described their approach as trying to make everything seamless for the driver so that they don't have to change driving modes or do anything special.

Relytgerg
Red Velvet Platinum Pacifica Hybrid - no options
Ordered 1/31/2017
D1 status as of 2/21/2017
Delivered on 5/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by relytgerg View Post
In my Nissan Leaf I actually put the car in Neutral, while at speed, to accomplish coasting. Yes, you can also try to keep light pressure on the accelerator pedal to keep the gauge between regen and power usage. In reality, though, you are doing a little bit of one or the other. I don't know if using neutral on the Pacifica will be practical. They have described their approach as trying to make everything seamless for the driver so that they don't have to change driving modes or do anything special.
I seem to recall reading that if you put the Pacifica's gear selector in "L", it will do more regenerative braking while coasting. So, you'd use it similarly to how you'd use a low gear in a conventional vehicle, for driving down steep hills.

Grand Rapids, MI
2017 PHEV Pacifica Platinum, ordered 1/14/17, picked up 4/26/17.
Praying for diode reliability.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page