EPA Official Fuel Economy & Range Ratings Announced - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalBlacksmith View Post
Should have posted my question about gas only mode here
Ok that clears things up. When I first was interested in the VAN I was irritated that it was 80MPG and 28 until I read up on the MPGe crazysauce. It still made me excited so I bought one...err waitlisted.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 11:11 AM

So, has anyone confirmed (real world) what the Hybrid gets for fuel economy AFTER the battery has been depleted and it is running in Hybrid mode? I know the MPGe figure quoted is 28 MPGe, but with what kind of driving, City or Highway? Or is that (28 MPGe) combined?

To help could someone provide real world Hybrid values for:

1) Highway MPG =
2) City MPG =

Both AFTER the battery is exhausted. I know in City the battery will have regenerated via regen-braking, but I find City driving to be the toughest on MPG in my Limited (Gas version) so I'm wondering what improvements the Hybrid see in City (or/and on Highway).

Life is one decision after another - Man up!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Pappa60; 01-16-2017 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Continue thought process.........
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa60 View Post
So, has anyone confirmed (real world) what the Hybrid gets for fuel economy AFTER the battery has been depleted and it is running in Hybrid mode? I know the MPGe figure quoted is 28 MPGe, but with what kind of driving, City or Highway? Or is that (28 MPGe) combined?

To help could someone provide real world Hybrid values for:

1) Highway MPG =
2) City MPG =

Both AFTER the battery is exhausted. I know in City the battery will have regenerated via regen-braking, but I find City driving to be the toughest on MPG in my Limited (Gas version) so I'm wondering what improvements the Hybrid see in City (or/and on Highway).
I'm pretty much a highway hauler (70 mile one-way commute on I-75). Once the charged battery is depleted, I am seeing about 28-35mpg going 70-75mph. It's still working itself out and winter isn't doing it any favors. Since I do have a long highway commute with hills and occasional braking, the two miles city driving once I exit is pure electric as the battery has charged enough to hit the 35mph speedlimit on the local roads.

I did do a haul down to Indiana last weekend and I was averaging 26 on gas but it was really windy, really icy, and really cold. And I was not going the speed limit

Let me get through this tank and I can provide better numbers.
Tsnor likes this.

My opinion is my own and not necessarily my employers

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinker Fluid View Post
I'm pretty much a highway hauler (70 mile one-way commute on I-75). Once the charged battery is depleted, I am seeing about 28-35mpg going 70-75mph. It's still working itself out and winter isn't doing it any favors. Since I do have a long highway commute with hills and occasional braking, the two miles city driving once I exit is pure electric as the battery has charged enough to hit the 35mph speedlimit on the local roads.

I did do a haul down to Indiana last weekend and I was averaging 26 on gas but it was really windy, really icy, and really cold. And I was not going the speed limit

Let me get through this tank and I can provide better numbers.
Blinker Fluid,

Thanks for the initial data! Like you said its hard to tell MFG when wind/Ice/Snow/Cold are bad. But your normal 70 mile commute numbers look promising!

Please keep us posted with more data.

Thanks,
Pappa

Life is one decision after another - Man up!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 11:54 AM

I don't think the Hybrid is going to be much, if any, better than the regular gas Pacifica on long highway trips. Once the battery has been depleted, it's going to operate like the gas version on the highway, at least until you brake a few times to regenerate the battery. The added weight isn't going to do the hybrid any favors while running on gas.

City driving is where it will excel.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmgtz View Post
I don't think the Hybrid is going to be much, if any, better than the regular gas Pacifica on long highway trips. Once the battery has been depleted, it's going to operate like the gas version on the highway, at least until you brake a few times to regenerate the battery. The added weight isn't going to do the hybrid any favors while running on gas.

Yup. I am interested in seeing what the Atkinson Cycle engine will do. Its 260hp compared to the 287hp gas engine. That plus the CVT should provide higher MPG along. The other side of the coin is extra weight.

There are times when the engine is generating more power than needed and that gets fed back into the battery. This does allow the electric motor to provide acceleration during certain highway runs. Its quite neat to watch the system work. While paying attention to the road of course.

My opinion is my own and not necessarily my employers
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-29-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Highway and city both benefit. Two reasons:

(1) The gas engine always runs at most efficient RPM and throttle (do they even have a throttle?). Any extra HP produced by the gas motor running at most efficient RPM etc is converted to electric generation. When the battery is full enough the gas motor is turned off and the car runs on full electric for a while. This lets HYBRID mode be much more efficient than normal gas engine.
(2) The gas v6 is heavily tweaked to sacrifice torque and HP for fuel economy. It runs the atkinson cycle ("... engines have an expansion stroke that is longer than compression stroke and by this method the engine can achieve greater thermal efficiency than a traditional piston engine..." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atkinson_cycle It can give up HP and Torque because the electric motors are there and can make up for the difference when needed. Even when the battery is too empty for EV operation it has enough charge to support full throttle acceleration.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Just to clarify, it is always using the electric motors and uses the gas engine which is physically attached to the generator/motor when the gen/motor becomes physically attached to the ring gear - I am pretty sure the "transmission" is only one speed. I did read in the owners manual that when you put the selector into low it increases the amount of energy returned to the battery as you let off the accelerator, giving you the ability to feather back and capture energy normally lost with braking. Also reverse is not a gear change but a change in the electric motor polarity. It will get better mpg as someone else stated, due to the steady RPM's and optimized Atkinson cycle for the 3.6L V6. This is Chrysler's first shot at this so they are probably already making a list of what they can improve if they go for a second gen.

KDBVOLT
2013 Chevy Volt white diamond
2007 Chrysler 300C hemi

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page