Pacifica beats 2018 Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Pacifica beats 2018 Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna

2017 Chrysler Pacifica vs. 2018 Honda Odyssey, 2017 Toyota Sienna | Comparison Test | Car and Driver

Looks like the Pacifica comes out on top on Car and Driver.
CentralFla and KD2017 like this.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-30-2017, 07:36 PM

Garage
Like a boss!
irpilot likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 11:27 PM

And Pacifica handily beats them in sales too.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/1...-october-2018/

Pacifica already crossed the 100K mark in sales for this year. Looks like the Odyssey is likely to do so by the year end. Sienna not so lucky unless they offer massive discounts in the next two months.
twig2121 and Longtimemopar like this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
And Pacifica handily beats them in sales too.

https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2018/1...-october-2018/

Pacifica already crossed the 100K mark in sales for this year. Looks like the Odyssey is likely to do so by the year end. Sienna not so lucky unless they offer massive discounts in the next two months.
Looking at that sales chart, I cannot imagine why FCA is saying they will phase out the Dodge Caravan. It looks like a money machine to me.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 12:53 AM

Exactly, since the development costs must already be done with, imagine the profit margins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 AM

I'm guessing because FCA's margins are better on the Pacifica. Why have a cheaper product to compete against your higher margin one?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-14-2018, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
I'm guessing because FCA's margins are better on the Pacifica. Why have a cheaper product to compete against your higher margin one?
My guess is that the Pacifica's development costs would not have been recouped at this time. I heard they spent around $2 billion for this project, correct me if I'm wrong.
If they stopped Dodge caravan, the entire share is not going to go automatically to Pacifica. It may be equally distributed among all the manufacturers and I'm guessing Kia might be the winner there due to its lower price. So essentially FCA will lose market share. Even if your product is cheaper in the beginning, if you have great market share it automatically feeds the ecosystem of parts, service, etc all of which contribute to revenue for FCA. Now you can see why the Dodge caravan is chugging along, and its the best selling minivan to date as well.
BTW, I feel the Caravan is a very comfortable car for the money, even though it is outdated in design and is not acing the crash tests. If they could simply refresh the exterior and add some tech options, it may continue to gain market share for FCA, but will cannibalize the Pacifica to an extent as well.
DoninDel likes this.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-15-2018, 11:33 PM

I read several comparison tests before I bought my Pacifica - the Pacifica won all the comparisons.

Significant in my decision is that the Pacifica is ONLY one with BOTH rows of seats that can be stowed for a nearly flat floor.
Excellent design.

It can well be argued that Chrysler was saved by the invention of the mini-van, and, in my opinion, they have stayed ahead.

I have had a Chrysler minivan continuously since 1985 - My wife, the kids, and I LOVE them.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
If they stopped Dodge caravan, the entire share is not going to go automatically to Pacifica.
+1

I have been driving Chrysler mini vans for years and for about the last 15 years two of them.
I have a 2016 Town & Country that when I replace it I will go with a Dodge Caravan. If it is no longer on the market I will need to go with something else maybe a Ford Transit. My dealer ordered a lot of T&Cs when they were being discontinued. The day the first Pacifica arrived at a dealer near me I went and looked at it. I then went to my dealer and bought a new T&C that day while I could get the options and color I wanted. I like the trim level on the T & C better than on the Caravan so wanted one more while I could get it.

The reason for wanting the T&C is that I haul my Bikes in the van. The rear hatch opening and inside near the back is taller on the T&C than on a Pacifica. If I load one of my tandems in the Pacifica I need to tip it over quite a ways which is harder plus one of the second row seats needs to be down as the bike won’t go between them tilted over that far. The other problem is the center console is not removable in the Pacifica but in the T&C I can have it in or out if a few seconds. With it out I can put my triplet bike up the middle with seating for up to 5 (second row + small rear seats up). The triplet will not fit in a Pacifica at all.

For everything else I like my 2018 Pacifica Hybrid a lot better.
Bond007 likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 01:13 PM

it's because a lot of them are purchased by rentals. I never seen any Odyssey or Sienna in rental fleet.

2018 Touring L (gas)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page