Hybrid shopping - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Hybrid shopping

Hello! Chiming in from the Saskatchewan/Alberta border here. We’re looking to trade from our SUV to a minivan and are in the middle of shopping and pricing a Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We’re sold on the Pacifica’s, the interior features seem to fit the best for us, and it’s a nice looking unit compared to the other brands, and now we’ve test drove a Hybrid and really like it.
We have a few concerns, such as what features are missing compared to the gas Limited, as well as western Canada prairie winter performance (February of this year was -25 to -35 for the entire month), and I’m hoping I’ll find answers in these forums.
Hope to be chatting to everyone soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentasha View Post
Hello! Chiming in from the Saskatchewan/Alberta border here. Were looking to trade from our SUV to a minivan and are in the middle of shopping and pricing a Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Were sold on the Pacificas, the interior features seem to fit the best for us, and its a nice looking unit compared to the other brands, and now weve test drove a Hybrid and really like it.
We have a few concerns, such as what features are missing compared to the gas Limited, as well as western Canada prairie winter performance (February of this year was -25 to -35 for the entire month), and Im hoping Ill find answers in these forums.
Hope to be chatting to everyone soon!
How close do you live to Dog River? (Just kidding! )

All batteries are less efficient in very cold weather. You cannot expect advertised performance in the February weather you described. The gas engine will be running most of the time.

A question you also need to answer: is your Chrysler dealer fully trained and experienced enough to service your hybrid? That seems like a pretty remote rural area. It might be a concern. Some Chrysler dealers chose to bypass having mechanics trained for the hybrid if they did not see a market to justify the expense.
Bond007 and AZBean like this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

I’m already aware of cold weather effects in batteries, something most people living here are very aware of in regards to even the vehicle starting battery.
I’m more interested in specifics, have people experienced 10% reduction? 50% or maybe even 70%? From what I understand they are a lithium ion which definitely helps in cold weather. Of course there are other factors such as heat, however I would assume this is likely electric just like the air conditioning so it may be a wash. This is what I’ll be searching for in the forums.
We are far from a ‘remote rural’ area, there are multiple Chrysler dealerships within a 200km radius. That is a good thing to consider, though, the Technician training aspect. On this note, however, should I be concerned with the reliability of the PacHy and not having trained techs in the vicinity?

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 08:01 PM

I am in the wrong climate zone to be answering this, but repeating what others have posted... In cold weather you will find that the gas engine comes on when there is still plenty of charge remaining in the motive battery. It does this because it needs to keep the battery warm and/or because the electric cabin heater isn't up to the task of warming the cabin. Assuming you can keep it plugged in to the charger overnight you can alleviate this by going out and pressing the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal. This puts it in a state where it will warm the cabin and the motive battery using the power from the wall. Unfortunately, doing this using the remote start on the key fob doesn't produce the same result -- it will start the gas engine which is not a good idea if you are parked inside your garage.
Bond007 likes this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:02 AM

Adding to AZBean's comment: you'll need the level 2, 30A/7kWh charger. The electric cabin heater uses 7kWh at full tilt, and the factory charger only supplies about 1.8kWh.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
How close do you live to Dog River? (Just kidding! )

All batteries are less efficient in very cold weather. You cannot expect advertised performance in the February weather you described. The gas engine will be running most of the time.

A question you also need to answer: is your Chrysler dealer fully trained and experienced enough to service your hybrid? That seems like a pretty remote rural area. It might be a concern. Some Chrysler dealers chose to bypass having mechanics trained for the hybrid if they did not see a market to justify the expense.
Now that I think about it, the 2017 Pacifica may be Chrysler's first hybrid vehicle they ever made. (?) That does not instill confidence in me that any of the dealership technicians have a decent level of knowledge about how the PacHy works. I guess all of us were so impressed with the idea of a hybrid minivan that we ignored the fact.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 06:15 PM

You can view it another way. The technicians whove been trained all had very recent training. The ones Ive talked to seem very knowledgeable. Small sample size, though. Ive only talked to two.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:04 PM

I've had a lot of experience with the various OEM technician training programs, and I only have one word to describe them: OUTSTANDING
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 10:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentasha View Post
Im more interested in specifics, have people experienced 10% reduction? 50% or maybe even 70%? From what I understand they are a lithium ion which definitely helps in cold weather. Of course there are other factors such as heat, however I would assume this is likely electric just like the air conditioning so it may be a wash.
The heat is power hungry. It can consume up to 7kWh. Going full blast it will consume all battery in under 2 hours without even moving.

You also should know that the ICE will turn on in a cold weather, so you can't fully electric in the winter anyway.

*** 2018 Hybrid Limited ***
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:07 PM

I’m in the Toronto area and love my hybrid in all 4 seasons . Put a set of snows on it and just keep her charged up . Whether you have ice or electric the winter takes a toll on anything .
RC Mike likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page