Liftgate hits top of garage door - adjustable? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Liftgate hits top of garage door - adjustable?

If I open the liftgate on my Pac while in the garage with the garage door up, it hits the garage door opening and, consequently, the bottom of the garage door (metal). It's a standard garage door opening with a standard garage door and I never had this issue, even with my much higher Mazda CX-9 before. It actually scratched the paint on the liftgate and I took it to the dealer to see if it could be repaired and they indicated that they are seeing this issue and with much worse damage. Has anyone else here encountered the same problem? I added foam (pipe insulation) to the bottom of my garage door, in case I forget and open the back while in the garage again but it truly sucks to have to take the van out of the garage to load and unload from the back.

Does anyone know if the opening height of the liftgate is something that can be adjustable? TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:11 AM

Garage
The liftgate isn’t adjustable, but your garage door may be. I’ve readjusted mine so that it opens as high as possible. It now clears the tailgate by about an inch.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
The liftgate isnít adjustable, but your garage door may be. Iíve readjusted mine so that it opens as high as possible. It now clears the tailgate by about an inch.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will have someone look at that possibility.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 10:46 AM

Garage
Assuming you have an automatic garage door opener, it should be adjustable to increase the travel distance, effectively raising the door a little more by pulling it up the track a little further before stopping the door. It's what I had to do and thankfully it was just enough to give that needed clearance.

'18 Pacifica LTD, GCM
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
Assuming you have an automatic garage door opener, it should be adjustable to increase the travel distance, effectively raising the door a little more by pulling it up the track a little further before stopping the door. It's what I had to do and thankfully it was just enough to give that needed clearance.
Thank you so much for the info! This has been a real thorn on my side. I'm so glad I asked the question. I will call my garage door company tonight!
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:28 AM

Beside adjusting the garage door opener travel, you should also adjust your stopping point in the garage. Our previous van (Quest) was short enough that we could open the lift gate with garage door shut, but we pulled deep into the garage to do this.

Unfortunately the Pacifica is too long to do this, so we have to have the garage door open when raising the lift gate. I found an exact spot where, with the garage door open, the lift gate could raise all the way up without hitting the garage door crossbeams, etc. This turned out to be a little back from the spot we used to stop. I use a cork (a rich cabernet works best) hanging from a string that touches the windshield - and pull in until I just bump the cork. This ensures that I stop at the exact same spot each time.

It is unfortunate Chrysler did not include adjustable height for the lift gate, tho.
CentralFla likes this.

2017 Limited (built 9/29/16 at 6am)
Tusk White with black/mocha interior
Advanced Safety Tech
18" wheels
KeySense fob only because the dealer wouldn't take it off!
Bought a spare tire to keep in Stow n' Go well behind Driver.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexas View Post
Beside adjusting the garage door opener travel, you should also adjust your stopping point in the garage. Our previous van (Quest) was short enough that we could open the lift gate with garage door shut, but we pulled deep into the garage to do this.

Unfortunately the Pacifica is too long to do this, so we have to have the garage door open when raising the lift gate. I found an exact spot where, with the garage door open, the lift gate could raise all the way up without hitting the garage door crossbeams, etc. This turned out to be a little back from the spot we used to stop. I use a cork (a rich cabernet works best) hanging from a string that touches the windshield - and pull in until I just bump the cork. This ensures that I stop at the exact same spot each time.

It is unfortunate Chrysler did not include adjustable height for the lift gate, tho.
Ha! It sounds like you might have a deeper garage than mine and a bit more flexibility. I'm boring and I have to use the good ol' parking sensors and I must stop as soon as that yellow light come on and the van is barely in and I have just enough room to walk in front of the van to get in the house.
froglips and Tia3 like this.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 03:15 PM

Not to rag on Chrysler too much but they should have made it not open as much... I too am going to attempt to adjust my new (well almost 4 years old now) garage door so it opens more but the standard height garage door is 7 feet and mine is literally a sheet paper thickness away from hitting. If you bump it, it hits. You'd think they'd make it literally 1" or 1/2" away from 7 feet? I didn't have the luxury of building an 8' garage door when I build my new house or I would have!

Rant over.

Thanks!
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB007Rules View Post
Not to rag on Chrysler too much but they should have made it not open as much... I too am going to attempt to adjust my new (well almost 4 years old now) garage door so it opens more but the standard height garage door is 7 feet and mine is literally a sheet paper thickness away from hitting. If you bump it, it hits. You'd think they'd make it literally 1" or 1/2" away from 7 feet? I didn't have the luxury of building an 8' garage door when I build my new house or I would have!

Rant over.

Thanks!
Just for reference, my garage door height measures 7' even from floor to framed/trimmed door opening. My garage door is adjusted such that the bottom edge of the door is slightly above the door opening. The van is parked such that there is about 2" clearance between the rear bumper and the inside garage door hinge when the garage door is closed. When the lift gate is fully open there is an inch or so clearance to the garage door frame/trim. The rear wiper arm appears to be the highest point. The wiper arm falls just inside the garage. It looks like it might contact the door frame/trim if I attempted to back up with the hatch open. If the van was pulled further in the garage I think there would be more clearance to the garage door due to the angle of the lift gate.

So, perhaps the Chrysler engineers really did think about this and designed the lift gate to open as high as possible while still fitting under a standard 7' high garage door. Or maybe I'm just lucky it fits in my situation

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 05:51 PM

Comments from the Tall Side: I am 6' 3". I kept banging my head on the tailgate of my Odyssey. No such problem with the Pacifica! Thank you, Chrysler, for thinking of me! Your designers are the best!

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page