2018 Pacifica 5450 miles - shut off while driving 60 mph on highway - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

2018 Pacifica 5450 miles - shut off while driving 60 mph on highway

Yesterday I was driving my 2018 Pacifica (non-hybrid, 5450 miles on odometer) using the adaptive cruise control going down the highway at about 60 mph, when suddenly the vehicle quickly lost speed, and the engine had no response to accelerator pedal input. I looked at the dash and it was displaying a message that said to put the vehicle in Park and press the start button. I did not notice if the vehicle was actually idling or if it had shut completely off, but I did not notice a loss of power steering or brakes. I coasted to the shoulder and put the van in park, foot on the brake and pressed the start button. The vehicle started but would only idle at about 600 rpm. The accelerator had no effect on engine RPM and the vehicle could not be shifted out of park. Turned the vehicle off and restarted it several times over about 3 minutes, with the same result. Then I switched off the auto Engine Start/Stop function and was able to immediately start the vehicle as normal. Since then it has run normally. Anyone else have something similar happen to them?

I have reported this to the dealer and have a service appointment scheduled, but since this incident did not produce a fault in the u-connect application and is now running fine, I assume it will be very difficult for them to diagnose. I have also reported it to the NHTSA since this could be a serious safety defect.
ggnelsonmi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:55 PM

Hi Dave,
This is terrible to hear. So glad you are safe. There are a number of threads here about the vehicle stopping unexpectedly an the ESS seems to be the culprit.
Please keep us posted!
John
Kansas Copperhead likes this.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:13 PM

Garage
Unbelievable. These reports scare the **** out of me.
Claudia likes this.

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Garage
Class action is proceeding:
https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...ismissed.shtml

Last edited by froglips; 06-29-2018 at 09:04 PM.
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froglips View Post

SO interesting. Thanks for posting.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:33 AM

I honestly thought the stalling issue had been fixed in a recall already. At least that is what had been stated by Chrysler is my understanding. I think an article in NYT from January 12th had addressed it. Just Google "Chrysler Pacifica stalling recall" if wanting to see article.

But, looking at the class action moving forward as cited just above, maybe this claim stated in the NYT article is actually not fully true?
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 07:48 AM

Incredible that this is happening, we've been researching minivans for the past 3 months and this Pacifica is the one that we like the most, however we are sooo afraid of pulling the trigger because of this issues. Already went through a lemon with another brand, don't want to go through it again specially with little kids.

I think the Odyssey is going to be a smart decision, but I really wanted a hybrid car this time.
Olive2018$, bennyk and felix like this.
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 08:12 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnr5 View Post
Incredible that this is happening, we've been researching minivans for the past 3 months and this Pacifica is the one that we like the most, however we are sooo afraid of pulling the trigger because of this issues. Already went through a lemon with another brand, don't want to go through it again specially with little kids.

I think the Odyssey is going to be a smart decision, but I really wanted a hybrid car this time.
We have owned several Honda Odyssey minivans and now our second Chrysler minivan. If you want a Hybrid, I would not in any way let this reported issue drive the decision between the two vehicles. The odds of not experiencing this issue are ridiculously more favorable than actually facing it. The odds of enjoying a Hybrid vehicle are infinitely greater with a Pacifica vs. an Odyssey. Both the Odyssey and the Pacifica are great choices in minivans, but only the Pacifica offers a Hybrid.
TomB985 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
We have owned several Honda Odyssey minivans and now our second Chrysler minivan. If you want a Hybrid, I would not in any way let this reported issue drive the decision between the two vehicles. The odds of not experiencing this issue are ridiculously more favorable than actually facing it. The odds of enjoying a Hybrid vehicle are infinitely greater with a Pacifica vs. an Odyssey. Both the Odyssey and the Pacifica are great choices in minivans, but only the Pacifica offers a Hybrid.
Exactly this.

You can go to a forum for ANY vehicle, even the most reliable ones ever made, and find those with problems. The Pacifica is a high-volume vehicle, so there is a greater likelihood that something will break and a frustrated owner will find a forum than something that's not as common. I like the Odyssey as well as the Sienna, and they're probably more reliable than the Pacifica.

But that doesn't make the Pacifica a bad vehicle, or one that's bound to give you problems. I've owned two Siennas and an Odyssey, and I'd still buy my Pacifica again.
Bond007 and Longtimemopar like this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
Exactly this.

You can go to a forum for ANY vehicle, even the most reliable ones ever made, and find those with problems. The Pacifica is a high-volume vehicle, so there is a greater likelihood that something will break and a frustrated owner will find a forum than something that's not as common. I like the Odyssey as well as the Sienna, and they're probably more reliable than the Pacifica.

But that doesn't make the Pacifica a bad vehicle, or one that's bound to give you problems. I've owned two Siennas and an Odyssey, and I'd still buy my Pacifica again.
I mean, come on.

I read and post on a lot of forums, I read way more than I post on. You absolutely do not find stories on other forums of cars with 5k miles shutting off on the highway. Thats just not true. Its one thing to talk about little issues like freezing screens etc, but this sort of failure is just extremely rare...

We like our Pacifica, but if I told you stuff like this didn't worry me, or kind of make me wish I had gotten something else I'd be lying...its my wife and kids in the **** thing after all.
JMACCA and Kansas Copperhead like this.

-Steve

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited. Velvet Red with Black/Diesel Interior
Advanced Tech, uConnect Theatre, 20" Wheels

2017 Lexus LS460L. Liquid Platinum with Black/Shimamoku Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page