Best Android device for wireless streaming to the UConnect system - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By marcesq

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

Best Android device for wireless streaming to the UConnect system

I am an Apple fanboy and own nothing Android (I even cringe at my Echos in the house)

However I would like to purchase a cheapish (but newer) Android device that I can load with movies and music or even enable a hotspot for Netflix and stream to the UConnect Theater.

Can someone tell me what kind of device I need? A tablet? An old Android phone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:07 PM

Just about any Android device will work. Heck, I haven't tried it yet, but I bet an Amazon Fire tablet will work just fine. (The Fire HD8 is on sale on Amazon right now for $49.99.) Key will be making sure the device has a micro-SD slot and you can pop in a 64GB+ card and load movies up on it. (FYI, per Amazon's claims, the Fire HD8 can take up to 400GB SD card.)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

That’s cheap enough to take a gamble...

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (+ 20” tires, AST, UConnect Theater) - New Jersey

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (Gas)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 12:27 PM

Be careful here. In order to do wireless streaming the source device must support the Miracast feature. Google has been deprecating this feature and it is not available on their newer phones. An older and cheaper phone might well work, but you do have to research it. I'm not sure about the Amazon Fire tablets tdietro mentioned. I think some of them don't support streaming either. If you want to stay in the Apple ecosystem I think the Apple TV can be connected to the HDMI port. One other thing to be careful about is the built-in WiFi hotspot available on the 2018 and newer models. It only supports the 5ghz WiFi band, not the 2.4 ghz band. Of course if you are using your own phone to create a hotspot using your own cellphone plan then that problem doesn't apply.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

I am trying to avoid having anything connected to the HDMI in he back whether that is my iPhone or an Apple TV.

So far a USB stick works great but just looking into other options.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (+ 20” tires, AST, UConnect Theater) - New Jersey

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited (Gas)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Guys, I just leased mine pacific with the Uconnect Theater with streaming and can’t find anyone that was successful on using a fire Tablet to stream without using any HDMI port. Only Samsung S8 and up. Does anyone uses a fire tablet to stream?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 PM

Bumping this one as I have the same question. I have a Fire HD and it doesn't stream, but does hook up to the WIFI (5GHZ). I'm looking for a cheap device that I can stream when hooked up to the car's built in internet. Please help!

Last edited by laxman1100; 03-12-2019 at 04:08 PM.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2019, 10:34 PM

Yeah....I talked to my son about this topic since he is the one in the backseat who works with the media. His Fire tablet does NOT work unless he connects it via wire (either USB or HDMI.) He said the wireless streaming only works with his Galaxy Note 8 using Samsung Smart View while connected to the UConnect wifi.

A used Galaxy S7/S7 Edge should work since they have Samsung Smart View app built in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 05:19 PM

I was trying to locate an android tablet to wirelessly stream movies - my children are younger and I wanted to do this from the front seat. I also have mostly Apple products, but I purchased a fire tablet (8 HD) on Prime day to see if I could get it to work. It didn't. I'm sure there's a way to make it work but more effort than it was worth. My kids like the tablet for playing on, so that's good enough for me to keep it - otherwise, this fire tablet is kind of crappy and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone other than a toddler.

I just picked up a Samsung Tab A from Costco today, for $129, model SM-T380. It's worlds better than the fire tablet in general usage.

This Tab A is not a "miracast certified" device, but it does work in the Pacifica. You need to use the Smart View option (I presume it's the same option that tdietro mentioned on the Note 8), and select the pacifica's system. You DO NOT use the wi-fi direct option, as that just results in the system telling you the tablet is not miracast certified.

I have a 256GB card in it from Amazon - the EVO Select microSDXC - and everything seems to work as well as I need it to via the Google Play Movies app. I'll try some Netflix and other downloads soon, but it's screen mirroring, so I'm expecting it to work just fine.

Not that I expect it to matter, but I have a 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited.
tdietro likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page