NAV question 2018 Limited - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

NAV question 2018 Limited

Took a 130 mile, one way, business trip with a friend of mine the other day. He and I ended up with questions on why the Nav system kept telling me to exit the freeway and take a two lane road many, many miles from our destination. The best we could come up with was the Nav picked the shortest roads and not the fastest. Well, his portable unit for his car has a setting that allows you to pick the fastest direction or the shortest direction. I have looked everywhere and can not find such a setting in the pacifica NAV system. Any ideas on how to get the "nice lady" in my Nav to stop attempting to run me off the road I want to use?

2018 Limited gas is already loaded. Ocean blue w/Black-Diesel Interior. Build date Friday the 13th, 4/18. Lifetime Warranty. Lots of extras.
2019 Ford F-150 XLT added to the garage on 3/5/2019. Many mods done since.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddyKatPerson View Post
Took a 130 mile, one way, business trip with a friend of mine the other day. He and I ended up with questions on why the Nav system kept telling me to exit the freeway and take a two lane road many, many miles from our destination. The best we could come up with was the Nav picked the shortest roads and not the fastest. Well, his portable unit for his car has a setting that allows you to pick the fastest direction or the shortest direction. I have looked everywhere and can not find such a setting in the pacifica NAV system. Any ideas on how to get the "nice lady" in my Nav to stop attempting to run me off the road I want to use?
I may have a different navigation system in my 2017 Pacifica than yours, but if I go to the navigation settings, I can choose things to avoid (or not avoid).

Push the start button without the brake to be in the "Run" position if you want to adjust the settings without the engine running in the garage.
Push the Navigation app on the touchscreen.
Go to Settings, Guidance, Avoid.
Check the things you want to avoid. If you check avoid Expressways, it may try to avoid Freeways.

Once I had checked avoid expressways and the navigation wanted me to get off the freeway and take a less desirable road. I knew the area and was just trying out the navigation, so I knew something wasn't right. I was trying to avoid a toll which some expressways have, but the navigation seemed to think an expressway and a freeway were the same. I unchecked avoid expressways and it does better at keeping me on the freeway.

I don't have a shortest vs fastest route choice that I know of. I think the assumption is the fastest route, but the navigation doesn't have traffic monitoring like the Android Auto app (with a cell phone) has if you are using that with your 2018 Pacifica.
Bond007 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-04-2019 at 10:52 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SciTchr View Post
.....I don't have a shortest vs fastest route choice that I know of. I think the assumption is the fastest route, but the navigation doesn't have traffic monitoring like the Android Auto app (with a cell phone) has if you are using that with your 2018 Pacifica.
Yours reads like they are comparable. I don't use the Android app. Guess I will have to keep a road map handy when ever I get into an area I do not ever travel in.

2018 Limited gas is already loaded. Ocean blue w/Black-Diesel Interior. Build date Friday the 13th, 4/18. Lifetime Warranty. Lots of extras.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddyKatPerson View Post
I experienced the same problem when I first used the Pacifica's NAV system. Unlike other systems I've used, the choice for shortest or fastest route is only available when the system is actually navigating. I don't recall how exactly to get to the options menu but I think you will find it on the screen once you are in navigation mode. Once set, (shortest or fastest) the system retains that setting until changed.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 09:29 AM

Program your destination. Assuming you are now on the map screen, click "Menu" to get back to main NAV screen. Select the "Current Route" tab on the upper right and then elect "Alternatives." That should get you to the screen from which you can select Fast, Short or Eco.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190305_NAV_altroute_1.jpg (135.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20190305_NAV_altroute_2.jpg (151.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20190305_NAV_altroute_3.jpg (104.0 KB, 40 views)
SciTchr, SciTchr, Bond007 and 4 others like this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaMinivanFan View Post
Program your destination. Assuming you are now on the map screen, click "Menu" to get back to main NAV screen. Select the "Current Route" tab on the upper right and then elect "Alternatives." That should get you to the screen from which you can select Fast, Short or Eco.

Awesome. Perfect answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lily and KiddyKatPerson like this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I may have a different navigation system in my 2017 Pacifica than yours, but if I go to the navigation settings, I can choose things to avoid (or not avoid).

Push the start button without the brake to be in the "Run" position if you want to adjust the settings without the engine running in the garage.
Push the Navigation app on the touchscreen.
Go to Settings, Guidance, Avoid.
Check the things you want to avoid. If you check avoid Expressways, it may try to avoid Freeways.

Once I had checked avoid expressways and the navigation wanted me to get off the freeway and take a less desirable road. I knew the area and was just trying out the navigation, so I knew something wasn't right. I was trying to avoid a toll which some expressways have, but the navigation seemed to think an expressway and a freeway were the same. I unchecked avoid expressways and it does better at keeping me on the freeway.
Are you able to follow these same steps with the engine running?

2019 Touring L | Granite with S Appearance Package | 20" wheels | Advanced SafetyTec Group | 13 Alpine speakers with 506 watt amplifier | Uconnect 4C NAV with 8.4-inch display | Overhead DVD Video by Mopar
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunRider View Post
Are you able to follow these same steps with the engine running?
I think so. You just can't type in an address while driving. Voice recognition is supposed to be able to be used, but I've had mixed results with my 2017 recognizing city names. I should probably take the van in about it, but I haven't. The 2018+ may have an improved navigation program. The graphics were better on the 2018 photos posted, so maybe the newer head unit has an updated navigation.

Sometimes it is just easier to check things on the navigation in the garage without the engine running. I don't think ACC will let you do anything with the navigation or touchscreen settings.
Bond007 and CajunRider like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-06-2019 at 09:05 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 PM

Quote:
I think so. You just can't type in an address while driving. Voice recognition is supposed to be able to be used, but I've had mixed results with my 2017 recognizing city names. I should probably take the van in about it, but I haven't. The 2018+ may have an improved navigation program. The graphics were better on the 2018 photos posted, so maybe the newer head unit has an updated navigation.

Sometimes it is just easier to check things on the navigation in the garage without the engine running. I don't think ACC will let you do anything with the navigation or touchscreen settings.
I had the same experience while trying to enter map information while moving. Actually wife was trying to type in info but it wasn't allowing, I tried the voice feature but to no avail (however hard I yell). The only way I could enter destination while on the move was for wife to use my phone UConnect app (while the subscription was active) and that too was only 50% effective at that time. When parked, the voice commands work wonderfully. I feel that the microphone gets confused with the ANC system while on the move.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

Just tried what PacificaManFan stated in my garage on ACC and it worked GREAT.
Thanks.
I just spent 3 hours in my garage with my new truck playing with all the stuff. That Ford NAV allowed shortest, fastest, etc. in the main set up. Thought is must be there somewhere in the Pacifica.
As the old story goes, You just have to be smarter than the machine.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page