ESS Reset - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By PacificaMinivanFan
  • 1 Post By Lily

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

ESS Reset

Like so many others, the ESS in my van had over time gone to showing “battery charging” all the time, and never activating. I haven’t noted any signs of battery or electrical problems, everything works fine and no funny behaviors. Last week I put 1000+ miles road tripping in the van, and ESS never came active.

This past weekend I needed to clean the interior of the van, it got well and thoroughly trashed during a week long hiking trip to the Big Bend. Because the doors would be open for a few hours, I went ahead and disconnected both batteries by removing the negative power leads, to avoid any risk of discharging them. Low and behold, ESS started working normally the next day and has been fine since.

I had a feeling the main issue with ESS was confusion in the software that calculates the State of Charge of the batteries, and this reset seems to confirm it. We will see how long before it goes wonky again. Now, whether this is a bug or a feature is another discussion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2019, 01:38 PM

With this being our fifth Chrysler minivan over the last 29 years, I learned early on that the cure to many electrical gremlins was to disconnect the battery, wait 5 - 10 minutes, then reconnect it. Solved problems from a transmission that didn't shift right after I changed out the ATF-3 fluid to windshield wipers that appeared to be obsessed. BTW, the dimmer switch on the lower left of the dash can turn off all of the interior lights when you want to leave the doors open. Roll the switch all the way down until you feel/hear it click. Don't forget to turn it back up when done as it also controls the driver's dash lights, too! I believe this feature is on all trim levels.
Longtimemopar and TomB985 like this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5501 View Post
Like so many others, the ESS in my van had over time gone to showing “battery charging” all the time, and never activating. I haven’t noted any signs of battery or electrical problems, everything works fine and no funny behaviors. Last week I put 1000+ miles road tripping in the van, and ESS never came active.

This past weekend I needed to clean the interior of the van, it got well and thoroughly trashed during a week long hiking trip to the Big Bend. Because the doors would be open for a few hours, I went ahead and disconnected both batteries by removing the negative power leads, to avoid any risk of discharging them. Low and behold, ESS started working normally the next day and has been fine since.

I had a feeling the main issue with ESS was confusion in the software that calculates the State of Charge of the batteries, and this reset seems to confirm it. We will see how long before it goes wonky again. Now, whether this is a bug or a feature is another discussion.
Please keep us ESS people updated on this

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17

Old 03-07-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:

I had the same issue and the fix was to replace both batteries. As soon as they did that ESS started to work. It took me two visit to the dealer and in both cases they tested the batteries. The first day they tested only the small battery and while the battery life was about 65% and passing test that was not good enough to make the ESS working. The Second day they started by testing the big battery which I had it tested in a pepboys. Pepboys told me that while the battery was still good one of the test failed the one about the crank power (or something like that). I told Chrysler all about Pepboys tests and when they tested the big battery they found it bad. The big battery test lasted like 2 hours or more. After that they tested the aux battery and this time it failed so they ended replacing both batteries.

While waiting in the dealer (more than 10 hours in two days) the guy working on my car told me that both batteries were failing a lot and that the small battery was failing so much that they had it in backorder.

My car is about 1.1 year old and I'm thinking about replacing the small battery the next time this happens with a better one from some other company. I have been thinking about using a Capacitor based battery (https://www.amazon.com/d/Automotive-...0BC/B00EUFCHR0 ) or just a better one (https://www.amazon.com/DieHard-02838...ll-spons&psc=1)

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:44 PM

Garage
I'm thinking that one of these can easily replace the AGM battery.

https://www.ebay.com/i/262698897946?...3D262698897946

-

-------------------------------------------------------------
Advanced Safety Package is the way to Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

March 2018< 2018 Pacifica Touring L +
2010 - 2018 - Prius III
2008 - 2010 - Honda Fit
Before 2008 - Hyundai Tucson, Sonata, Elantra, Mercury Mystique, Toyota Corolla.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Following up. ESS was active for about a week, then went back to “battery charging.” It spent about a month dormant/on vacation. Today out of the blue it magically started working again. No idea why, nothing I can identify has changed. Have mostly been running around town doing 10-20 minute drives, with a few runs up to 45 minutes over the last month. Today it kicked in after 5 minutes. So strange.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Following up. ESS was active for about a week, then went back to “battery charging.” It spent about a month dormant/on vacation. Today out of the blue it magically started working again. No idea why, nothing I can identify has changed. Have mostly been running around town doing 10-20 minute drives, with a few runs up to 45 minutes over the last month. Today it kicked in after 5 minutes. So strange.
Mine barely ever worked over winter but now that its warming up it works fine. I think its just a junk battery design that cant handle the colder temps, still wrapping my head around it has two batteries.
Hilltoppper likes this.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
Old 04-15-2019, 07:28 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Mine barely ever worked over winter but now that its warming up it works fine. I think its just a junk battery design that cant handle the colder temps, still wrapping my head around it has two batteries.
Lily, this is interesting to hear. The same thing is happening for me. Now that the weather has warmed (ignoring the 5 inches of snow in Chicagoland yesterday), the ESS is working much better. It actually comes active on shorter trips again. Of course, no one at the dealership has a clue of how ambient temperature affects ESS.

For me, it is what it is for now.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
Old 04-15-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
I live in south central Texas. It hasn’t been anything like cold here since the end of February, and we had an unusual 90F afternoon last week. No ESS through any of it. In my case I don’t think it’s the weather. I wonder if it could be some secondary effect based on changes to the charging voltage generated by the electrical system based on the warmer temperatures. Lead acid batteries require lower charging voltage at higher temps. Dunno.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in