Owner's Manual Really Dumb Question - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Owner's Manual Really Dumb Question

All -

We purchased a 2019 Limited back in January 2019. The actual purchase experience was H3LL, but we love the Pacifica. I've never had a vehicle with such well-thought out features (save the ESS.... what the heck were they thinking?).

Back to the H3LL experience..... by the time I could actually LEAVE the dealership that evening, it was past their closing time. I had to remind them they promised a full tank of gas, so I had to wait while a driver took it over to the nearest gas station and filled it on their dime.

By the time I got home, I was exhausted, and hadn't even had supper yet (after 9:30 pm!). The next day, I went into the Pacifica to open the glove compartment to review the supplied manuals, warranties, etc.... To my surprise, it was EMPTY. I called the dealership to report this. They apologized all over creation, and told me to come back; they had the packet for the glove compartment.

Well, once more after I received that, I then took time to review everything. I thought.... hmm... shouldn't there be an OWNER'S MANUAL in this? I did take time to DOWNLOAD the digital copy from Mopar as a .pdf file. That digital copy is about 800 pages long!!!! The dealership to me that Chrysler no longer issues a paper copy of the owner's manual, but instead provides it through the UConnect screen. Next, I called Chrysler Corporate, and asked where my actual physical copy of the owner's manual was. They said "Hey Mr. TJ.... we'll send it right out!" Which they did.

They also sent out the owner's manual for the Hybrid, which we don't own. Now, 2 things I want to ask/comment:
1) Did YOU receive an actual 800-page long, 2-inch thick Pacifica Owner's Manual when you purchased your vehicle?
2) If you did receive it at time of purchase, what did you think about the freakin' SIZE of that manual? My thoughts are if they removed all the redundant LEGAL WARNINGS that the lawyers forced them to print every other sentence, they probably could have made the owner's manual about 1/4th the size.

Anyhow.... thanks for reading this. I'd appreciate your replies, at least to know if what I experience with having a physical copy of the manual is normal, or NOT having it is normal. Personally, I prefer something I can hold in my hand to read and refer to, not flip digital pages or wait to hop from link to link.

Thoughts?

2019 Pacifica Limited (gas) - Granite Crystal Metallic, Customer Preferred Package 27P (Advanced SafetyTec Group), Uconnect 8.4 4C Nav, KeySense

Mods: MAX LINER A0232/B0291/E0232 MAXFLOORMAT Floor Mats and MAXTRAY Cargo Liner (Behind 3rd Row for Pacifica 7 Passenger Non Hybrid (2017-2018) Black)

Last edited by Teejay1959; 03-15-2019 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:33 AM

I believe there is a short user guide in the car which is not as exhaustive as the manual itself. I didnít ask for that manual since it would be impossible for me to read each and everything (without forgetting the others ... see the hard disc has only limited capacity) and also difficult to store it inside the car with easy access. My glove box is already full to capacity. .
The smaller user guide fits my purpose perfectly, for detailed information I will flip through the digital info on the console screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:44 AM

Our 2019 hybrid came with the quick guide in physical form, but no physical copy of the complete manual. Like they said, you can access it through the Uconnect screen, or download it to your phone or computer as you did.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:48 AM

I do miss the pleasure of reading the physical manual cover to cover on the first night the van comes home!
New car day is my favorite day of the year!
John
Bond007 and craig like this.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJohn View Post
I do miss the pleasure of reading the physical manual cover to cover on the first night the van comes home!

New car day is my favorite day of the year!

John

Agree, thatís how we brush up our reading and comprehension skills. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Longtimemopar and craig like this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 AM

To question #1, no, we did not receive the large owner's manual from the dealer. I called Chrysler and they sent it out right away. To #2, yes, it is big with lots of legaleeze, but otherwise useful. What Chrysler does not offer is a manual on the navigation system. One would think it would be included in the large book, but no; just small bits.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:58 PM

We were told before leaving the dealership that the larger printed owner's manuals are no longer provided by default but can be requested online or via phone.

I don't recall the exact link, but I believe I requested it through a website, maybe after registering the vehicle on mopar.com. I believe the free printed copy can only be requested by the first registered owner.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:24 PM

Garage
I have a 304 page user guide with my Hybrid FWW.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teejay1959 View Post
All -

We purchased a 2019 Limited back in January 2019. The actual purchase experience was H3LL, but we love the Pacifica. I've never had a vehicle with such well-thought out features (save the ESS.... what the heck were they thinking?)...

Well, once more after I received that, I then took time to review everything. I thought.... hmm... shouldn't there be an OWNER'S MANUAL in this? I did take time to DOWNLOAD the digital copy from Mopar as a .pdf file. That digital copy is about 800 pages long!!!! The dealership to me that Chrysler no longer issues a paper copy of the owner's manual, but instead provides it through the UConnect screen. Next, I called Chrysler Corporate, and asked where my actual physical copy of the owner's manual was. They said "Hey Mr. TJ.... we'll send it right out!" Which they did.

They also sent out the owner's manual for the Hybrid, which we don't own. Now, 2 things I want to ask/comment:
1) Did YOU receive an actual 800-page long, 2-inch thick Pacifica Owner's Manual when you purchased your vehicle?
2) If you did receive it at time of purchase, what did you think about the freakin' SIZE of that manual? My thoughts are if they removed all the redundant LEGAL WARNINGS that the lawyers forced them to print every other sentence, they probably could have made the owner's manual about 1/4th the size.

Anyhow.... thanks for reading this. I'd appreciate your replies, at least to know if what I experience with having a physical copy of the manual is normal, or NOT having it is normal. Personally, I prefer something I can hold in my hand to read and refer to, not flip digital pages or wait to hop from link to link.

Thoughts?
Welcome to the forum. This is a good place for information and help. Use the forum search feature if possible as a start.
If you put your van info (year, trim, gas/hybrid, etc.) in the signature line of the UserCP it will show up at the bottom of each post and may assist others in answering your questions.

1. No, I did not receive the full owner's manual for my 2017 Pacifica (purchased in 2016) in the van, but I requested one through Chrysler and it was sent to me. I've hear that printed copies weren't available for 2018+ Pacificas, even on request, so if you got one, maybe they've changed their mind about sending out printed copies on request. The main advantage of the online manual is that it gets revised.

When using the index in the owner's manual, I've found that if what I'm looking for isn't there, I either look through somewhat related parts of the manual or check the multimedia section for anything related to the touchscreen.

If you scroll down on the Mopar page, it looks like there may be a navigation manual available to download.
https://www.mopar.com/chrysler/en-us...penGarage=true

For more information about navigation check the UConnect website and you might be able request a paper one from them.
https://www.driveuconnect.com/

2. The other reason for the size of the manual is that there are parts for "if equipped" so they don't have to make a different manual for each trim level. Most of the manual can be skimmed since many items are similar to other vehicles. One part that should be examined carefully and understood is how the passive and other door lock systems work since there are assumptions about them that may not hold true. (Check other threads about locking fob in van, children accidentally locked in van, etc.)

@Teejay1959 Oh, the van doesn't come with a spare tire either, but that's another thread. It does come with an inflator and fix it kit
https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/549735-post25.html

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 03-15-2019 at 05:57 PM.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 PM

I first got what I think was called a "User's manual", which only described controls and settings. I complained, saying every car I ever owned had a picture of the engine compartment, with references of where to check coolant, power steering, brake fluid, oil, etc, and a chart with all capacities of every fluid and the recommended fluid for each. They said "just bring it in" and I glowered at them and raised the corner of my lip and snarled at them, and then they ordered me the big (800 page?) manual which had lots of illustrations about brakes, fluids, etc - just what I wanted.
Supposedly, they want to charge about $50 thru parts department for it if you were to order it.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DoninDel; 03-15-2019 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page