Motor Trend test van has stalling issue - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

Motor Trend test van has stalling issue

Not a good sign when a test van for a major magazine has issues and the dealer keeps it for 30 days and it is still not fixed.

see article here.
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/chry...55D306A6403355

I love this van, but it is getting harder to recommend to someone when people are having this kind of problem.
Bond007 and Lipster like this.

2018 Limited Gas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:32 AM

I have the identical stalling issue.

2018 Limited Gas
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Sorry, I didn't see that you had posted the same article until after I had put mine up. Could not figure out how to delete it after I had posted it.
That is a bummer that Chrysler is giving this problem the run around. Also not a glowing review of their service when the last lines of the article are "And all that lost time stings even more when you find out two of the three issues you took it in for haven't been fixed"
Come on Chrysler, get you $hit together!

2018 Limited Gas

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 03:59 PM

To me, stalling means for the engine to shutdown when you don't want it to (I once owned a Pinto so I know what stalling is ). According to the article, it shut down as it normally would once it came to a stop, albeit with all the warnings right after. The ESS stopping process worked, the waiting and restart process didn't, so it's an ESS starting problem. Semantics maybe, but it's also important for resolving the issue. (personally i still feel it's somehow related to bad batteries, once drained batteries, bad replacement batteries, and/or flaky battery connections, but that's just me)

The knocking issue sounds exactly like the V15 recall which affects those made Nov. 1, 2017 through Feb. 28, 2018 which is right in the time frame for Motortrend's car.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...ent-may-break/
Van Go likes this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dazzling Black wth Birdpoop Accents, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, Jeopardy was on tv
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
To me, stalling means for the engine to shutdown when you don't want it to (I once owned a Pinto so I know what stalling is ). According to the article, it shut down as it normally would once it came to a stop, albeit with all the warnings right after. The ESS stopping process worked, the waiting and restart process didn't, so it's an ESS starting problem. Semantics maybe, but it's also important for resolving the issue.[/url]
No, that is not what the article said at all.
Ess does not require shifting into Park and a re-start.
Ess does not ring a warning tone.
Their vehicle stalled, as does mine, and many others.

2018 Limited Gas

Last edited by Lipster; 03-25-2019 at 05:28 PM.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:00 PM

Actually, it's exactly what the article said:

Quote:
About a month prior, our 2018 Chrysler Pacifica visited the dealer to have a stalling issue looked into. The engine shuts off as you come to a stopóas it normally would with the stop/start feature engagedóbut as the engine cuts out you get a warning chime. This is accompanied by a number of messages on the in-gauge display saying various systems are unavailable, and the engine won't turn over on its own as it should. To restart the car, you have to shift back to park, apply the brake, and hit the ignition button.
It sounds like the ESS on the magazine's test Pacifica was faulty: it stopped just fine, but couldn't start. Normal starting was unaffected and they were able to proceed. But just because a journalist uses the word "stall" to describe what happened even though he explains that is was "as it normally would with the stop/start feature engaged" doesn't mean you have to.

Yours stalls, as do other vans, and that's much scarier than "ESS doesn't want to start as it should." It may be an ESS related problem where the ESS shuts things off when it's not supposed to- the dealership did recommend that you disable ESS every time you start up to hopefully avoid the stalling. But they don't know exactly what's causing that problem, and it's not what the magazine experienced.
Frig likes this.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:22 PM

If you had this happen to you, you would know the difference between stalling and normal ESS behavior.
With ESS, the engine shuts down a second or two after you are motionless. There are no bells or warning lights.

When it stalls, the engine kills while the tires are still rotating, there is a chime, and and instant notice on the dash telling you to put vehicle in park, shut off engine, and restart.
I stand by my statement that I made.
It is not ESS, and dealer has shared with me the codes that are stored, showing it is not.
FCA is aware of the issue. They are working on a fix, but it is not yet solved, but they say they will let me know when they find one.
It is a stall, not an ESS shutdown.
Frig likes this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
No, that is not what the article said at all.
Ess does not require shifting into Park and a re-start.
Ess does not ring a warning tone.
Their vehicle stalled, as does mine, and many others.
Well this is what the article actually said about their particular issue:

"The engine shuts off as you come to a stopóas it normally would with the stop/start feature engagedóbut as the engine cuts out you get a warning chime."

So, if the engine shuts off when it's normal for the engine to shut off, then is it a stall? I guess one can argue that if the engine shuts off when it's supposed to, but for an abnormal reason, then it's a stall, but then how can you tell? It did what it was supposed to, which is to shut off the engine, up until the point of the chimes/messages appearing.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dazzling Black wth Birdpoop Accents, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
If you had this happen to you, you would know the difference between stalling and normal ESS behavior.
With ESS, the engine shuts down a second or two after you are motionless. There are no bells or warning lights.

When it stalls, the engine kills while the tires are still rotating, there is a chime, and and instant notice on the dash telling you to put vehicle in park, shut off engine, and restart.
I stand by my statement that I made.
It is not ESS, and dealer has shared with me the codes that are stored, showing it is not.
FCA is aware of the issue. They are working on a fix, but it is not yet solved, but they say they will let me know when they find one.
It is a stall, not an ESS shutdown.
Your issue and their issue may or may not be related, or they incorrectly stated their issue. They wrote theirs shut off when it was expected to shutoff, which we have to presume means it was completely stopped. Your issue occurs when it's still rolling. That's a stall.

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:35 PM

The article isn’t so much about the stalling issue as it is about MT’s experience getting their issues resolved.

I hope the folks at FCA are listening to the feedback being provided through this article, it paints a very unpleasant picture about the level of service one can expect from the dealer network.

Sadly, my recent experience reflects MT’s. Weeks to get an appointment - called all the dealers in my area, all needed approximately 2 weeks lead time to get me in. They had my Dodge for over 3 weeks for some very basic work. Took them a week to get to my car (Christmas/New Year, same reason MT was given for theirs), called me in to pick up the car after telling me they could not reproduce the problem (speaker rattle). Rather than pick up the car, I dropped in and had the service writer out to the car. Within 10 seconds we were able to replicate the issue, which, by the way, I demonstrated to them upon drop-off a week earlier. So now they needed another 2 weeks for the work to be done (back ordered part - just like MT).

Got my Dodge back, brought my Pacifica in next day. What should have beef a routine 2 day service turned into a month long affair. Started out the same way...techs didn’t get to the car for 4-5 days. When they did, they wound up damaging the van (broken hood and windshield). Reason for the long delay???? Yep, windshield was back ordered. Took 2 weeks for the part to arrive.

I thought the MT article was brutal but fair, and completely in line with my experiences.

I think Chrysler / Jeep / Dodge makes some awesome products that are as good, if not better, than their competition. One of the best ways to reinforce brand loyalty is through excellent service, likewise it’s also one of the easiest ways to lose a customer as well.

If FCA wants to compete, they need to solve this problem...fix the car right the first time, do it quickly and minimize the number of repeat visits for the same issue.
brado1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in