It's days are numbered... - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:44 PM Thread Starter

It's days are numbered...

After nearly a year of mostly positive experience of my Pacifica, it's days in my garage are numbered.

A lot of life has happened during that year, the worst of which was the sudden passing of my six-year-old daughter last July. She loved my Pacifica, and affectionately named it "The Blueberry" because it was her favorite color. She has a very complex medical issues, until it wasn't and she was gone without much warning. I intended to keep this van for quite a while because of how much she liked it, unfortunately it just doesn't make sense anymore.

I've also been struggling with a medical condition causing neuropathy in my hands, and longer drives are becoming uncomfortable to even hold the wheel in recent months. Even typing on a computer is impossible beyond a couple of sentences, which is why I was so quiet on the forum towards the end of last year. Discovering decent dictation software has been huge, but my inner grammar Nazi is a permanent state of rage with minor corrections.

Since I no longer need a vehicle this large, and the tax credit gets cut in half after June, I just placed an order for a base-model Tesla Model Three. They're expensive, but is the only thing out there with autopilot at the moment, which is going to make my life a lot easier. It's a shame he can't tow, and I'm not sure what to do with the boat yet.

I definitely have mixed feelings about my Pacifica. It frustrated me a lot with the mechanical issues, but when working it is an absolutely fantastic vehicle. I hope his future owner enjoys it is much as I did, and perhaps it will be more reliable for them as well.
Bond007, lnf001 and Mrke1 like this.

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM

My heart goes out to you, what a beautiful child...may she Rest In Peace. Godspeed to you and your lovely family.
Bond007, vinnyf, TomB985 and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:06 PM

Sorry to learn of your loss.

Hoping you can continue to find technological and medical aids for your condition.

Wishing you and your family the best.
TomB985 likes this.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB985 View Post
After nearly a year of mostly positive experience of my Pacifica, it's days in my garage are numbered.

A lot of life has happened during that year, the worst of which was the sudden passing of my six-year-old daughter last July. She loved my Pacifica, and affectionately named it "The Blueberry" because it was her favorite color. She had a very complex medical issue, until it wasn't and she was gone without much warning. I intended to keep this van for quite a while because of how much she liked it, unfortunately it just doesn't make sense anymore...
I definitely have mixed feelings about my Pacifica. It frustrated me a lot with the mechanical issues, but when working it is an absolutely fantastic vehicle. I hope his future owner enjoys it is much as I did, and perhaps it will be more reliable for them as well.
I am so sorry for the unexpected loss of your daughter. I'm glad you have the photo of her and brothers in the van to remember some fun times. Hope your medical condition improves. Thanks for all your input in the forum, it was greatly appreciated.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:30 PM

Garage
@TomB985 , Very sorry to hear about the loss of your daughter and your medical condition.
TomB985 and craig like this.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 08:21 PM

Garage
Very sorry for your tragic loss. I hope the Tesla works out for you and the future holds brighter days .
Longtimemopar and TomB985 like this.

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

A sincere thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it. I miss being able to type, and this is one of the reasons why. Dragon Naturally Speaking is fantastic most of the time, but it still makes mistakes, and it's hard to catch them all. Here's one I missed:

Quote:
She has a very complex medical issuesthat should have been manageable, until they weren't and she was gone without much warning. I intended to keep this van for quite a while because of how much she liked it, unfortunately it just doesn't make sense anymore.
Hannah was born with spina bifida, and despite the misfortune of a really lousy case of complicating diseases, she was the happiest kid I've ever met. I could go on for pages with the specifics, but this is a car forum, and you guys probably don't care that much. We all honestly expected her to at least see into her 50s or 60s, as all of them should have been manageable. Her losses affected me and her mom in ways that neither of us will ever understand, but I strive every day to become a better person for the experience.

The issue of my health is perplexing, I've been back and forth to the Mayo Clinic seven times in the last three months trying to get a better diagnosis/treatment plan, and haven't had much success. It was at my last visit that the doctor finally got it through my head that there wasn't much else they could test for, and at this point they are simply managing symptoms to the best they can. I lose strength and feeling in either hand when I use them, which starts after only a few seconds. If I push through it, it gets bad quickly and takes hours for them to recover even basic function. I've been able to adapt with different methods of holding things and switching hands to moderate use, but driving for long periods of time has become a challenge.

Despite my frustrations with my Pacifica, I really wish there a way I could get it to steer itself. Or that it was an option I could get on another Pacifica, the versatility of a minivan really can't be beat. Unfortunately this is tech that only exists in the niche luxury market right now, and none of them make a minivan. I don't need the bells and whistles, and would prefer to save $10,000 and get something equivalent to a Camry with autopilot, but such a beast does not exist. Despite that, I've been a car guy my entire life, and I'm really excited to get my hands on this thing. I got a text on Friday night that it should be delivered Wednesday morning. Should look something like this:
Attached Images
File Type: png static-assets.tesla.png (289.8 KB, 31 views)

2019 Tesla Model 3

Former: 2017 Chrysler Pacifica
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
A sincere thanks for all the kind words, I really appreciate it. I miss being able to type, and this is one of the reasons why. Dragon Naturally Speaking is fantastic most of the time, but it still makes mistakes, and it's hard to catch them all. Here's one I missed:

Hannah was born with spina bifida, and despite the misfortune of a really lousy case of complicating diseases, she was the happiest kid I've ever met. I could go on for pages with the specifics, but this is a car forum, and you guys probably don't care that much. We all honestly expected her to at least see into her 50s or 60s, as all of them should have been manageable. Her losses affected me and her mom in ways that neither of us will ever understand, but I strive every day to become a better person for the experience.

The issue of my health is perplexing, I've been back and forth to the Mayo Clinic seven times in the last three months trying to get a better diagnosis/treatment plan, and haven't had much success. It was at my last visit that the doctor finally got it through my head that there wasn't much else they could test for, and at this point they are simply managing symptoms to the best they can. I lose strength and feeling in either hand when I use them, which starts after only a few seconds. If I push through it, it gets bad quickly and takes hours for them to recover even basic function. I've been able to adapt with different methods of holding things and switching hands to moderate use, but driving for long periods of time has become a challenge.

Despite my frustrations with my Pacifica, I really wish there a way I could get it to steer itself. Or that it was an option I could get on another Pacifica, the versatility of a minivan really can't be beat. Unfortunately this is tech that only exists in the niche luxury market right now, and none of them make a minivan. I don't need the bells and whistles, and would prefer to save $10,000 and get something equivalent to a Camry with autopilot, but such a beast does not exist. Despite that, I've been a car guy my entire life, and I'm really excited to get my hands on this thing. I got a text on Friday night that it should be delivered Wednesday morning. Should look something like this:
"... but this is a car forum, and you guys probably don't care that much..."
This Forum member cares a lot. I know it won't much sense especially with your condition, but I hope you stay in touch and can tell us about the next chapters in your life. I pray for your whole family.
irpilot, SciTchr, TomB985 and 2 others like this.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
I could go on for pages with the specifics, but this is a car forum, and you guys probably don't care that much....
Regardless of what forum it is, we do care. So sorry to hear about your sweet little angel. Hope you feel better knowing that medical field advances continuously but takes a short breaks at times "just like Pacifica's stop- start system" .

Model 3 would be the perfect car for you right now. Tesla's auto pilot is one of the best in industry. I've tried it once with my friend's Model S and was mighty impressed with it.
RC Mike and craig like this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

Last edited by Bond007; 04-14-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:52 PM

Garage
Tom, sorry for the passing of your girl. I wish you the very best.
I think the Model 3 is the best choice. They just switched to a new autopilot hardware and Musk just said that the price for autopilot will go up, so your timing looks perfect. M3 isn't cheap, but it is the least expensive car with self driving. Most importantly, the autopilot will be improved with future upgrades, while all other brands you'll be stuck with what you purchased.
Bond007 and craig like this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***

Last edited by stop-eject; 04-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page