GVRW and Payload - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By shawnee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

GVRW and Payload

I'm confused, the door says the GVWR is 6055 lbs no curb weight displayed but is 4330, so that gives a payload of about 1,725 lbs. However the other door sticker that displays the air pressure (I have pictures) say max 7 persons (some hold 8 right) and cargo should not exceed 1150 lbs. those contradict each other by 575lbs.?! please explain. thank you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2375.JPG (299.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2376.JPG (400.8 KB, 21 views)

@019 Pacifica Touring L Advanced Safety Tech Group, S Appearance Package, Premium Audio Group, Key Sense, Uconnect 4C NAV w/ 8.4 " Display and Jazz Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Looks like the tire placard is basing its values off of the worst-case-scenario hybrid's weight, which is also a 7 seater and available with 18s.

I wonder what the card for a gasser with 20" says, or one with the 8 seat config.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 05:34 PM

FCA does not explain why the sticker says should not exceed 1150. The load calculations in the manual ignore the 1150 cargo limit.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 AM

The Payload on the sticker is for the vehicle as built. The payload in the Manual is just general as it goes in all vehicles of that model. The different options change the payload weight. More options, less payload weight. Extra seats, sunroof, spare tire will definitely reduce payload weight as that increases the curb weight.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

Garage
In aviation the allowable payload includes fuel and oil. A 20 gallon tank holds about 125 pounds of fuel. Is that an issue in the calculations?

Side note - want to improve your around town gas mileage? Always run your car on the bottom quarter tank!

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltoppper View Post
In aviation the allowable payload includes fuel and oil. A 20 gallon tank holds about 125 pounds of fuel. Is that an issue in the calculations?

Side note - want to improve your around town gas mileage? Always run your car on the bottom quarter tank!
The curb weight used in the calculations includes the weight of full fuel and oil. So the allowable weight of passengers and cargo ("payload") for the Pacifica (GVWR - Curb Weight) includes full fuel. The aircraft's payload (max gross weight - empty weight - useable fuel) does not include fuel. Most planes cannot fly with full fuel and all seats occupied by a standard adult. Therefore the pilot must adjust the amount of fuel carried to the desired payload for a given flight.

With regards to operating the Pacifica at less than a quarter tank, I doubt that reducing the weight of the Pacifica by less than 2% of its weight will improve gas mileage by any appreciable amount.
craig likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 04:59 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
Therefore the pilot must adjust the amount of fuel carried to the desired payload for a given flight.

With regards to operating the Pacifica at less than a quarter tank, I doubt that reducing the weight of the Pacifica by less than 2% of its weight will improve gas mileage by any appreciable amount.
Yup, now that I weigh more than I did when I first got my pilot's license as a teen, I cannot carry as much fuel. Gotta do something about that!

As to the traveling with less than a quarter tank I wonder if that might contribute more to MPG than the ESS does.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:53 PM

On a trip where you will use more than 1/4 of the tank without stops, don't waste fuel by not carrying enough fuel.

Depending on where you buy fuel, might save by filling tank up for a bit cheaper than what you will save by not hauling fuel around.

I believe the fuel pump uses recycled fuel, fuel pumped but not used by the engine, to cool itself so running low all the time can make the fuel pump run hotter and have a shorter life. Course the mechanic replacing the pump will be glad the tank is not full so maybe this equals out somehow.

I do not want to stop at gas stations more often, I can go 1.5 weeks on a tank of fuel and keep trying to get it to 2 weeks so I can fill up at my favorite station while getting groceries and stuff. I tend to just top off each week right now.

I am debating removing the 2 middle seats, they are always folded down and I think I want the storage but may just wind up hauling more junk. What is in vehicle matters as much or more than the fuel we are talking about. Junk I never use vs. fuel I know I will use is what I am thinking here.

I remember when reading about minivan tow ratings the 3600lb rating for towing was only if the seats did not tumble. The seats that tumble weigh more I guess and eat up 100lbs of that tow rating.

My van does not have the tow package and I have not bothered to have it weighed. But I would basically go get the van weighed and add that into considerations with the numbers mentioned already.

I bought a leftover 17 pacifica but considered trying to find a tow package on the lot somewhere or special ordering but decided it was not worth it to me right now.

2017 touring nothing special version
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 07:25 AM

Yeah, running less than a quarter tank is not advisable as it will kill the fuel pump. If my math is correct, you are talking maybe 100lbs from full tank vs 1/4 tank.... yeah not worth it. If you want to save fuel that badly, add a couple psi to the tires, but then you’ll be wearing them out in the middle more than the edges. You’ll save more fuel by adjusting your driving style vs either of the above suggestions. But be kind to your fuel pump, keep it filled up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page