Help making a decision on Touring L+ - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Help making a decision on Touring L+

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. We have 3 teens and have been making it work with just one car for the past year. We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey complete with scratches and dents from living over in Europe and me driving it who has no spatial awareness.

We now want to buy a Chrysler Pacifica. I haven't purchased a new car in 20+ years, however, I'm very interested in the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica touring L+. The problem is the negotiating part. We have test drove it and all the dealers are giving us the same out the door price of 38-39K. We want the advanced auto safety group and the hands free power doors and liftgate. No black interior and outside color doesn't really matter.

There seems to be no reason to go with one over the other when they give us the same exact quotes. Initially, we wanted to stay around 30K which just tells you how little we knew about new car pricing LOL and then thought out the door of 35K would be okay but now see that won't happen either. We also want to pay cash but one incentive is to finance and get 1K off. I don't know if financing for even a couple of months at their high interest rate would be worth doing.

The whole thing is aggravating. How do we make a decision? One is over an hour away and again, no incentive to work with them when given similar quotes that are closer to home.

Thank you, Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:50 PM

I'm sure people will have different opinions on buying a car. Here are my tips.
1. My advise is to be willing to wait for the right deal for you. Best deals can always be had at the end of a month or year. Dealers may need to move more cars on slow months.
2. Don't be afraid to walk out the door for anything you don't like.
3. Use the internet and get it in writing the deal they offer. Especially if you are willing to travel a long distance for some savings. 4. Holiday specials can be attractive too. 5. Watch some you tube videos on car buying. Everyone has a suggestion.
6. Get pre-approved for the amount you want to spend and shop around for the best interest rate if you plan on financing. Everytime I bought a car, the dealership interest rate is always higher. They make the most money when you finance.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniecrocker View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum. We have 3 teens and have been making it work with just one car for the past year. We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey complete with scratches and dents from living over in Europe and me driving it who has no spatial awareness.

We now want to buy a Chrysler Pacifica. I haven't purchased a new car in 20+ years, however, I'm very interested in the 2019 Chrysler Pacifica touring L+. The problem is the negotiating part. We have test drove it and all the dealers are giving us the same out the door price of 38-39K. We want the advanced auto safety group and the hands free power doors and liftgate. No black interior and outside color doesn't really matter.

There seems to be no reason to go with one over the other when they give us the same exact quotes. Initially, we wanted to stay around 30K which just tells you how little we knew about new car pricing LOL and then thought out the door of 35K would be okay but now see that won't happen either. We also want to pay cash but one incentive is to finance and get 1K off. I don't know if financing for even a couple of months at their high interest rate would be worth doing.

The whole thing is aggravating. How do we make a decision? One is over an hour away and again, no incentive to work with them when given similar quotes that are closer to home.

Thank you, Bonnie
Welcome to the forum.
Another thing to consider is whether you are part of any group that might have auto discounts like Costco, Sam's Club, AAA, etc. Maybe a dealer will match that price. You can also check Kelley Blue Book online for price estimates. Check online for dealer prices and take them with you to see if that helps. Sometimes the dealer may have the van advertised cheaper online which you can ask them to match.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Go to KBB.com or similar sites and use their new car pricing tool to build the Pacifica with the options you want. The tool will show you what buyers are paying in your area. This will give you a sense of how the price you are being offered compares with other sales.

Use the dealers' web site to request pricing for the configuration you are looking for. Sometimes the dealer's on-line sales staff can offer better deals. Timing can make a difference. Try near the end of the month when sales quotas must be met. On my last purchase of another make, I requested a quote from each of the 3 dealers in the area through their web site. I told each the configuration I wanted (I used their on-line inventory to verify they had what I wanted) and I asked for their best price. I told each I was quoting all dealers in the area and planned on visiting only the dealer with the lowest price. This strategy worked well. It is interesting that the big dealer that is always screaming on TV what great deals they have never gave me a price. They called me within 10 minutes of pressing send on the quote request. When I insisted on an emailed quote, I never heard from them again. One dealer responded with a quote at the higher end of the KBB sale price range and the third gave a quote below the KBB sales price range. This was in the month of December so I may have hit the sweet spot with regards to sales quota status.

With regards to the $1,000 rebate for financing with FCA, it is worth it but finance only the required minimum amount, I think when I did it, the minimum was $5K. The dealer will ask you to keep the loan for at least 3 months otherwise FCA will penalize the dealer (not you). The interest for 3 months on $5k will be less than $75. You will have some leg work to do to make the payments, then pay off the loan, get lien release, etc.

Good Luck!

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Car Dr. We don't need financing as we can pay cash. Good tips. I've been watching youtube videos. It's just frustrating that everyone has the same deals. Where is the incentive to go with one over the other?

It is getting very difficult to get away with one car with 3 kids in different activities. Our current car needs work so we are trying to do that. We really need a car soon.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniecrocker View Post
Thanks Car Dr. We don't need financing as we can pay cash. Good tips. I've been watching youtube videos. It's just frustrating that everyone has the same deals. Where is the incentive to go with one over the other?

It is getting very difficult to get away with one car with 3 kids in different activities. Our current car needs work so we are trying to do that. We really need a car soon.
After the sale it will be the service department that differentiates the dealers. Do some searching on the dealers' ratings for service. Talk with the service department. Ask questions. See if you feel comfortable working with them. You can always change who services your van later if needed but it is better if you get the van serviced from where you bought it.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:18 PM

Where are you geographically located? I'm sure with the given specifications, someone could find a vehicle matching your description.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 PM

In July 2018 we paid $28K for Touring Plus with tow package after $4,700 rebate. Maybe some was because I took a $17 loan with Chrysler Capital. I'll pay off the loan next month We drove 65 miles to get the tow package. They had 6 with similar package in red and blue.

And we probably won't go back to that dealer - it's two hours away and I'm still working, so that's a day of salary loss for even the "free" oil change.

Although I don't understand why the Austin dealerships don't have service department open until 9 pm. It would seem some repair folks would like 4 ten hour days and a longer weekend...

Look around, keep asking.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
With regards to the $1,000 rebate for financing with FCA, it is worth it but finance only the required minimum amount, I think when I did it, the minimum was $5K. The dealer will ask you to keep the loan for at least 3 months otherwise FCA will penalize the dealer (not you). The interest for 3 months on $5k will be less than $75. You will have some leg work to do to make the payments, then pay off the loan, get lien release, etc.
When we bought ours a year ago the financing rebate was $500. The dealer told us that we had to make at least 3 monthly payments before paying it off, too, but I did an online chat with Chrysler Credit and was told that wasn't true. I could pay it off anytime. As it happened in my personal situation, I had to wait until six months to pay it off. Highly recommend you contact Chrysler Credit (or is it now Chrysler Capital?) and ask about this (1.855.563-5635). Yeah, the interest was kinda pricey.

Edit: Forgot to mention that we got ours through the Costco Auto Buying program. For us it was the best deal.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)

Last edited by PacificaMinivanFan; 04-23-2019 at 07:21 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:27 AM

My advice: Run away from 2018 CHRYSLER TOURING L PLUS.

Our personal experience (and that of others -- check the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration web site -- is that this vehicle is very dangerous. In our case, after only 6,144 miles, the vehicle suddenly pulled hard to the right, could not be controlled, went off the road. Vehicle was airborne, side airbags deployed when it landed, and it was a total loss. By some miracle no passengers were killed.

Chrysler, after inspection, -- or, more accurately, FCA USA LLC / FCA Special Investigations Group -- claims to find no fault and has officially declined to consider any assistance or compensation!

Summary: Your family may be in grave danger and Chrysler will pretend all is well.

The inability of FCA to detect a manufacturing defect related to software is entirely consistent with the experience of many Chrysler Pacifica owners. Many owners of Chrysler Pacifica have reported numerous trips to Chrysler dealers only to be told that Diagnostic Trouble Codes were not recorded and therefore provided no indication of required service. We reject the notion that an inability to detect Diagnostic Trouble Codes is any serious evidence that a defect does not exist.

The experience of our family is entirely consistent with other nationwide documented reports, publicly available at National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, that the 2018 Chrysler Pacifica fails by pulling hard to the right and becomes uncontrollable. There is an obvious pattern of this mode of failure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page