do you get a lot of value out of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto ? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

do you get a lot of value out of Apple CarPlay / Android Auto ?

i'm considering a car that doesn't have Android Auto ( i use Android phones ). as i understand Pacifica has both Apple Car Play and Android Auto and i also assume the two have similar functionality ... so would you say this is a must have feature ?

would you ever get a car ( OK it's a Toyota ) that was great except it didn't have CarPlay / Android Auto ( whichever one you're using )?

new Highlander was just announced and it will be the first Toyota with Android Auto but i can't wait that long - i need the car in like a week or two. I really like the idea of going Toyota ( as i have Toyota now ) but i do wonder how much i am missing out ...

right now i just hold the phone in my hand while using google maps as navigation and while so far i didn't crash the other drivers in the household are afraid to do this ( thank god ) and frankly i have no idea how they get form A to B.

so the main use i envision for Android Auto is to project google maps onto the screen ... and actually Avalon Limited ( which is what i want ) has its own navigation but no Android Auto ... so i wonder - how much will i be hurting without Android Auto ?

it kills me because it's like literally the last car without it and feel like i will be an idiot if i get it ...

but as i'm driving a 2018 Camry now the 2019 avalon is kind of impossible to overlook - i can't just dismiss it without thorough consideration ! ( i already test driven it twice )

what do you think ?

Last edited by g1981c; 04-23-2019 at 01:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 02:58 AM

I enjoy using CarPlay, faster n easier. The real time traffic on Nav system built in cannot compete with Apple Maps nor Google Maps. But is it the dealbreaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 06:06 AM

We are enjoying using Apple CarPlay, but this is our first vehicle with it, so until now we didn't know what we were missing.

Is there a possibility to add an aftermarket system that would have CarPlay or Android Auto?

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 07:45 AM

People who hold their phones for nav.... I give them dirty looks. Itís not hard to avoid being distracted while driving. Itís irresponsible and unethical.
Bond007 likes this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
i'm considering a car that doesn't have Android Auto ( i use Android phones ). as i understand Pacifica has both Apple Car Play and Android Auto and i also assume the two have similar functionality ... so would you say this is a must have feature ?

would you ever get a car ( OK it's a Toyota ) that was great except it didn't have CarPlay / Android Auto ( whichever one you're using )?

new Highlander was just announced and it will be the first Toyota with Android Auto but i can't wait that long - i need the car in like a week or two. I really like the idea of going Toyota ( as i have Toyota now ) but i do wonder how much i am missing out ...

right now i just hold the phone in my hand while using google maps as navigation and while so far i didn't crash the other drivers in the household are afraid to do this ( thank god ) and frankly i have no idea how they get form A to B.

so the main use i envision for Android Auto is to project google maps onto the screen ... and actually Avalon Limited ( which is what i want ) has its own navigation but no Android Auto ... so i wonder - how much will i be hurting without Android Auto ?

it kills me because it's like literally the last car without it and feel like i will be an idiot if i get it ...

but as i'm driving a 2018 Camry now the 2019 avalon is kind of impossible to overlook - i can't just dismiss it without thorough consideration ! ( i already test driven it twice )

what do you think ?

Does your current car has an inbuilt navigation? Do you prefer using the google maps over the in car navigation (if available through the car)? If the answers to both are yes, then you need to buy a car AA capability. Using a phone in hand while driving is idiotic and dangerous and Iím not even going to the potential liability part.
If you are okay with using the regular in car navigation system from the new car, I donít see a problem otherwise. I use it all the time since I donít like to fish out my phone and connect it with a plug every time I drive.
I like the simplicity of one button nav screen with inbuilt maps. I use Bluetooth for phone (in the rare instance I need to call or answer a call) and it works for me beautifully. I usually want nothing to do with phone while driving, okay but will use google maps only if there is a problem with the in car navigation.
Iím sure the new Avalon is a fantastic car (especially the hybrid) and Iíd absolutely have no problems buying it if I were in that market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 04:54 PM

We have 2 FCA vehicles. Both with UConnect 4C NAVs.
Mine is a Jeep Cherokee, but the operation of the system is basically identical with our Pacifica.

Personally, I would not be without CarPlay (or Android Auto if I had an Android phone).
The functionality of CarPlay and Android Auto is very similar.
There are multiple advantages to using your phone's NAV functionality.

1. Maps are more up to date.

2. Voice recognition is much better via Siri or Google Assistant. I can almost always use Siri on the fly to input a destination, and it comes up with the correct location. Using the Uconnect... often the POI is not in the database, or even if it is, the car tells me "I didn't understand that. This is a big advantage because you cannot to keyboard input on the Uconnect while in motion.

3. Text messaging is better. U connect is good for incoming messages, but you cannot reply using an iPhone. I have read that some Android phones will allow replies over Bluetooth. For both CP and AA, you do need to be connected via usb.

4. You have more choices of NAV apps. Waze is a good example. It does a better job of re-routing.

My Wife rarely uses the Car Play functionality because she already understood how to use the Uconnect. One problem, sometimes she reverts to grabbing the phone to text. Not good! One of the reasons I forked over $$$$ to trade to the Pacifica was to get the improved tech so she'd stop grabbing the phone to text. When I'm with her, I'll remind her that even without using CarPlay, she can long press the VR button and respond using SIRI, after getting the incoming text via Uconnect.

Perhaps you can get your dealer to assist with a demo. If not, search YouTube to get a better idea of how AA works.

2018 Pacifica S Limited
White/Black Interior
3.6L V6 Gas
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:04 PM

I will never buy a vehicle without android auto. My wifes 2018 rav4 doesnt have it and it's annoying. Its 2019 Toyota get with it. Even with nav in my van I still prefer to use android auto with waze

2019 Touring Plus /w S Package, Overhead DVD, cold weather package, tow group, safety tech.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:42 PM

Short answer: No.

I was hellbent on getting a 2018 Pacifica model to gain the Android Auto/CarPlay functionality. However, now that we have it, we never use it. In all fairness, I haven't had a chance to mess with it much since the wife primarily drives the van. I tried using it once and found it to be a bit cumbersome, but I might feel differently after I used it more and became more familiar with it. Another factor is that we keep a USB drive plugged into the port for music. The drive needs to be unplugged so we can plug our phone in (Android Auto/CarPlay requires a USB connection in the Pacifica) because there's only one USB port.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 30K miles
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddief73 View Post
Short answer: No.

I was hellbent on getting a 2018 Pacifica model to gain the Android Auto/CarPlay functionality. However, now that we have it, we never use it. In all fairness, I haven't had a chance to mess with it much since the wife primarily drives the van. I tried using it once and found it to be a bit cumbersome, but I might feel differently after I used it more and became more familiar with it. Another factor is that we keep a USB drive plugged into the port for music. The drive needs to be unplugged so we can plug our phone in (Android Auto/CarPlay requires a USB connection in the Pacifica) because there's only one USB port.
Put your music on your phone.

2019 Touring Plus /w S Package, Overhead DVD, cold weather package, tow group, safety tech.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter

what about using some kind of a phone or tablet holder ?

would that be a viable alternative ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in