Oh spare tire, how I miss thee - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Oh spare tire, how I miss thee

Well, today was the day that I wished I had a spare tire in my PacHy. Was on my way home with the family and decided to make a stop at a gas station for something to drink. When I parked, the tire pressure light came on. Display showed left front tire to be at 28 psi with the rest at 38. Got out to determine the problem only to find that I can hear and feel air escaping at an alarming rate. At this point I know I only have minutes before it is completely flat. Informed the wife to find the nearest tire shop. Bingo! Discount tire is .5 miles away. We make the decision to chance it to get there. Leave the gas station making a right turn only to find that I should have turned left. By the time I get turned around, 18 psi. At this point Iím 1 mile away and decide to just call AAA or Chrysler roadside. AAA Tow truck or help is 70 minutes away. Itís 3:30 and Discount closes at 5. We decide to wait because I really donít think the air compressor that comes with the car will keep up with the leak. We call some friends in the area and we decide she takes the kids and leaves me with the car. In the end, the tire gets fixed and we make it home late.
I guess Iím lucky that this was the first time that I could have really used a spare tire. It could have been worse like in the middle of the night or in a bad neighborhood. I think Iím going to be researching spare options now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:30 AM

It seems like the Mopar un-inflated factory spare for the 2019's will not be available until later this year.

What year is your PacHy?

Let us know what you find out.

2019 Limited, Luxury White, HK Sound, Tow Group, Advanced Safety Tec Group
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:20 AM

This is a timely post. I literally just woke up from a dream in which I blew a tire in my 2019 and was pulled over rummaging through the van and realizing that there is no spare. Of all the decisions to make while building a vehicle, leaving out a spare is almost incomprehensible.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:17 AM

I just purchased a 2019 gas Touring L plus and was surprised about the no spare tire thing. It took us a week, but we found someone who had the spare tire kit in stock. We travel with 2 large dogs, so we can’t risk needing a tow!

2019 Pacifica Touring L Plus - brilliant black - 18" wheels - Panoramic Sunroof
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:57 AM

With a somewhat manageable leak like that, I'd have tried the kit that comes with the van. It includes sealant. It's going going to fix a gash, but it should work for a puncture.
froglips likes this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
With a somewhat manageable leak like that, I'd have tried the kit that comes with the van. It includes sealant. It's going going to fix a gash, but it should work for a puncture.
I guess I could have tried it. Being a automotive technician, I have been the one who has to clean up that mess and don't wish anyone else to have to do it so I definitely hate tire sealant. If it was the middle of the night and I didn't have any other choice then ok I'll try it. Plus, once you use the sealant mode on that compressor it basically needs to be replaced. I don't know how much that unit costs but it is probably more than a one new tire. Plus I am already a AAA member and the van still has roadside assistance so a tow charge is covered.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:19 PM

Run Flats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Dr. View Post
Well, today was the day that I wished I had a spare tire in my PacHy. Was on my way home with the family and decided to make a stop at a gas station for something to drink. When I parked, the tire pressure light came on. Display showed left front tire to be at 28 psi with the rest at 38. Got out to determine the problem only to find that I can hear and feel air escaping at an alarming rate. At this point I know I only have minutes before it is completely flat. Informed the wife to find the nearest tire shop. Bingo! Discount tire is .5 miles away. We make the decision to chance it to get there. Leave the gas station making a right turn only to find that I should have turned left. By the time I get turned around, 18 psi. At this point Iím 1 mile away and decide to just call AAA or Chrysler roadside. AAA Tow truck or help is 70 minutes away. Itís 3:30 and Discount closes at 5. We decide to wait because I really donít think the air compressor that comes with the car will keep up with the leak. We call some friends in the area and we decide she takes the kids and leaves me with the car. In the end, the tire gets fixed and we make it home late.
I guess Iím lucky that this was the first time that I could have really used a spare tire. It could have been worse like in the middle of the night or in a bad neighborhood. I think Iím going to be researching spare options now.
I've had numerous BMW's and Mercedes' with run flat tires. The early ones were unacceptable for many reasons but they have improved considerably. If I were transporting kids around, I would put run flat tires on my Pacifica and put up with the increased road noise and decreased tread life for the peace of mind. YMMV

Sjambok

2018 Touring L+
Gas
March 2018 Build
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 06:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Yes sealant is Evil goop..

I suggest anyone thats good with hand tools stock a tire plug kit and some side cutters.. way better than tire goop.

I cant recommend them to the average joe because it is not considered an approved practice anymore.

“Tires that have been punctured and repaired with a string plug may hold air for months, years even for the remaining life of the tire. For this reason, many consumers consider a string plug repair a permanent solution. The tire manufacturing industry expressly disagrees. Various industry publications state that the greatest potential danger caused by a string plug repair is that this type of repair allows air and moisture to penetrate the body of the tire. The tire industry maintains that these elements seep in between the layers of the tire allowing the steel belts to degrade and causing the tire to deteriorate and corrode from within. Over time, this corrosion weakens the steel belts and the bonds between the rubber-to-rubber layers and rubber-to-the-wire layers of the tire, greatly increasing the risk of a tread separation. An additional risk of performing a string plug repair is that a puncture, even if it is within the “repairable” area of the tire, may cause damage to the inside of the tires. Without inspecting the inside of the tire, it is impossible to determine whether any damage has occurred, requiring it to be scrapped.“

From Carabinshaw https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cara...nce-of-da.html

To be honest, any repair exposes you these issues because they are repaired from the inside and environmental factors can still penetrate up through the repaired area to the belted layer all the same.. At BMW, we are not allowed to fix a run flat tire at all “for safety reasons”.

If your worried, replace the tire - don't fix it. Its the only way that tire can be guaranteed to operate as designed under all conditions.. And the tire companies will love you for it!

But if your going to fix it, why not just be done with it and fix it once and for all.

I personally have not seen many issue with patches and tire cord style plugs. I stock a plug kit and cutters, some rubber glue in all my Vehicles..

I have had to repair my tires on the Pachy 3 times since ownership and have had one plug not seal 100% (odd shaped puncture) in which I dismounted the tire, removed the plug and installed a proper patch at my own convenience.

I just pull over before driving on a flat and causing more damage, find the nail, move the vehicle so the nail is accessible, inflate the tire to 50psi, pull the nail and push in a plug and snip the ears off and set the pressure back to the others - done.

No outside help required - I consider the repair permeant unless it proves otherwise.
AZBean, Frig, thclimer and 2 others like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 06-03-2019 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Added repair cutaway
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:30 PM

This is what I did, hope I never need it, since it's true no spares are available.
I have a 2019 Touring L w/18" rims.
I bought a spare 17" steel wheel w/a 235/65 R17 tire (it will save space and weight i the Van, used only as a spare in emergency).
I've been told my stock lugs for my 18"rims will not fit the 17" steel wheels, and I need to buy
Chrysler Dodge #6504672 Factory OEM Polished Stainless Lug Nuts 12x1.5.

The Longer ones #6504672 Factory seem to sit better in the Steel wheel (as it should).
The link below to order at ebay for less than half the retail price.
So my Spare Tire saga is complete, 17" steel wheel, 235-65xR17 tire (both bought at Wal mart online) and these lug nuts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-New-Chrys...72.m2749.l2649
sjambok likes this.

@019 Pacifica Touring L Advanced Safety Tech Group, S Appearance Package, Premium Audio Group, Key Sense, Uconnect 4C NAV w/ 8.4 " Display and Jazz Blue
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Well I did a little research today. I had the idea, will the spare from my 2015 T&C fit my 18 PacHy? What about the tools? The answer is yes! All tools and the spare does fit without issues. My next question was what other FCA vehicles may work. I found another member posting that he was using Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT wheels on his Pacifica. There fore a spare from a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango should fit also. I am now wondering which one is the smallest? I doubt that the Jeep spare is smaller than the T&C spare. I am asking others out there, how big is the diameter of the Pacifica spare? The T&C spare is 27 inches in diameter (inflated) with a width (laying flat on the ground) of 6.75 inches. I would think there is a reason FCA changed the spare from one model to another even though the Caravan (that they still make) has a spare that will fit. Any help would be great.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Fisherman20 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page