ESS Survey - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

ESS Survey

ESS Survey

Since we are seeing so many posts on this forum involving issues with the ESS (Engine Start/Stop) system, I thought maybe an informal survey would help to find out where everyone involved currently stands regarding this controversial feature. Also, I thought it would be interesting to find out whether owners have had the V53 Recall done, and if so, what effect it has had on their ESS issues. Although the V53 Recall is designated as a Power Steering Assist recall, it actually affects the ESS system directly as it involves the auxiliary battery ground wire connection.

I am asking all of you who own a 2017+ Pacifica with ESS and are interested in knowing more about the ESS issues as they have affected other Pacifica owners, to respond to this survey. This is only a short survey and is not done by Chrysler or for Chrysler or for any other group, and your participation in the survey should be only on a voluntary “want to know more about it” basis. To help make the replies to this survey short, only the question number and a short answer to each are needed in your replies, although some questions may require more than one answer separated by commas. Please keep your replies short.

If you have any additional comments or questions you want to add to the ensuing discussion, please include them AFTER you have answered the survey questions.

So here is where the survey questions start. Each question below has a number associated with it on the left. To reply to the survey, just list the question number and your reply to that question. It’s best that you answer all survey questions, but not required.

SURVEY QUESTIONS

1. Do you believe the ESS system on your Pacifica is working as designed?
2. Do you usually disable the ESS system because you don’t like it or think it’s a nuisance?
3. Are you aware of the main pre-conditions needed for the ESS system to be active?
4. When ESS is enabled but inactive, do you often see the status message “Start/Stop Battery Charging”? Does this status message appear more often or longer than you think it should? Do you believe these messages are only because you take short trips and the batteries never get a chance to get fully charged up? (THREE ANSWERS HERE)
5. If your ESS system doesn’t work as you think it should, do you think it’s because one or both of the batteries are bad? If so, do you think the battery or batteries are bad due to an ESS design problem or because they’re not being charged up enough? (TWO ANSWERS HERE)
6. Have you already had one or both of your batteries replaced under warranty? If so, did the battery replacement(s) fix your ESS problems? (TWO ANSWERS HERE)
7. Have you had the V53 Recall done? If so, did it fix your known ESS problems? If not, are you confident that the recall was done correctly and thoroughly? (THREE ANSWERS HERE)
8. Do you have the factory tow package? Is your Pacifica a hybrid or a gasser? (TWO ANSWERS HERE)
9. What year is your Pacifica and what trim package do you have?
10. How many miles do you have on your Pacifica? How many miles do you put on per year? (TWO
ANSWERS HERE)

END OF SURVEY QUESTIONS

To illustrate the format of a survey reply, I’m including my own (the first) survey reply below:

1. YES
2. NO
3. YES
4. SOMETIMES, NOT ANYMORE, NO
5. NO, not a design problem
6. NO neither has been replaced, the V53 Recall fixed all my known ESS problems
7. YES, YES, I think some V53 Recalls are possibly not done correctly or completely
8. YES, gasser
9. 2018 Touring L
10. 20K, 12K per year

The format of your survey reply should be similar in form. Take the survey only once whenever you can find time; we can summarize and analyze the results later. Thanks for participating.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
Power 8-Way Passenger Seat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:11 PM

Similar: https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...ng-survey.html

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

That's nice Frig but is there anything in those other surveys about the V53 Recall? (Particularly whether or not the recall fixed known ESS problems.)

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenosavvy View Post
That's nice Frig but is there anything in those other surveys about the V53 Recall? (Particularly whether or not the recall fixed known ESS problems.)
Hence similar. You're welcome.
preed4962 likes this.

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Would it be asking too much for you to answer the survey questions?

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Would it be asking too much for you to answer the survey questions?
Me? If so I don't have (nor want) ESS.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:59 PM

Garage
I will play but not sure where this will go.

1. YES
2. NO but I manipulate it by not fully pressing the brake to keep ESS from activating at times.
3. YES , could be but I cannot prove it
4. Mostly in winter. Mostly in winter? Maybe
5. Batteries not bad as far as I know Hard to say.
6. No and not applicable
7. Had no problems before or after V53 - knock on wood
8. no no regular no lead powered
9. 2018 (build 3/18) with Advanced safety

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio

Last edited by Hilltoppper; 07-08-2019 at 03:06 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Thank you Hilltoppper (with 3 P's) for your survey reply.

One of the conditions for ESS to remain autostopped is that the interior temperature has to be close to the set desired temperature if Climate Control is set to AUTO. This can result in an autostart sooner than desired if the temperature gets too far from that setting, in my experience. Just remember that the A/C compressor isn't on during an autostop so the cabin temperature can change rather quickly even with the fan still blowing. To avoid premature autostarts with the A/C on, don't use AUTO in Climate Control when you know it's time for an autostop.

I'm surprised that you didn't see more ESS problems before you had the V53 Recall done. I had several ESS problems, or perceived problems, before I had V53 done but they all seem to have gone away, I think, after V53. For example, if I had the A/C on (not AUTO) before V53, it would autostart after just a few seconds. Now even with the A/C on I can stay in autostop for over a minute without autostarting, a noticeable difference.

In winter, especially, one of the pre-conditions is that the physical battery temperature has to be within a set temperature range. And the engine must be at an operating temperature before ESS will work. Because those things take longer in winter explains why it takes longer for ESS to go active in the winter.

In question 8, if your car is not a Hybrid it must be a gasser. Maybe I should have used different terminology.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
In question 8, if your car is not a Hybrid it must be a gasser. Maybe I should have used different terminology.
Exclude hybrids, they don't have ESS.
arteitle likes this.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 PM

1) yes
2) no
3) no
4) no, never
5) ?, ?
6) no
7) yes, ?, yes
8) no, gas only
9) 2017, TL
10) 13,000, 6,500
Not wanting to back in and out of this survey I’ll leave my answers as they are and comment if need be once I build up the nerve to go back and forth in here.
All-in-all, I’m tickled with this ride. The ONLY problem it has that really bugs me is the radio locking up on me. I just today took it in for the recall and a tire rotation and oil change and showed the service rep the unresponsive radio. As usual, they did a software update and hoped for the best... we’ll see!
Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page