Pacific going forward in reverse - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Question Pacific going forward in reverse

Good Morning Everyone,

My family has a 2018 Pacifica and so far have loved it. We recently had an issue where when we place it in reverse and go to back up it actually goes forward. Itís happened twice, but I cannot get it to do it on command. I took it to the dealership today and they couldnít replicate it and so couldnít do anything about it. I wanted to see if anyone had heard about this type of issue coming up before.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboton View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

My family has a 2018 Pacifica and so far have loved it. We recently had an issue where when we place it in reverse and go to back up it actually goes forward. Itís happened twice, but I cannot get it to do it on command. I took it to the dealership today and they couldnít replicate it and so couldnít do anything about it. I wanted to see if anyone had heard about this type of issue coming up before.

Thanks!
There is not an issue, it's as designed, and you can easily do it on command in reverse. Make sure you're on enough of a decline and then just hold the brake lightly when putting it into reverse. That will keep the Hill Start Assist from activating.

If you don't want to roll forward then apply the brakes more firmly. Hill Start Assist will hold for 2 or 3 seconds then begin to release.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
There is not an issue, it's as designed, and you can easily do it on command in reverse. Make sure you're on enough of a decline and then just hold the brake lightly when putting it into reverse. That will keep the Hill Start Assist from activating.

If you don't want to roll forward then apply the brakes more firmly. Hill Start Assist will hold for 2 or 3 seconds then begin to release.
Huh? I'm confused. Granted it happens a lot.

The car ROLLED forward while in reverse? I can see may not be an issue there.

But if Theboton pressed on the gas while in reverse, and the vehicle powered forward, that would be an issue.
(or I am just not familiar with the Hill Start Assist feature)

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboton View Post
Good Morning Everyone,

Thanks!
Hello! And welcome to the forum!

Because of one of the replies here, could you be very specific about whether you were on an incline, or perfectly flat ground?
Frig likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebanaev View Post
Huh? I'm confused. Granted it happens a lot.

The car ROLLED forward while in reverse? I can see may not be an issue there.

But if Theboton pressed on the gas while in reverse, and the vehicle powered forward, that would be an issue.
(or I am just not familiar with the Hill Start Assist feature)
Yes, I presumed it was facing downhill, and downhill enough for it to roll forward while in reverse, unless the brake is applied. Pressing on the accelerator enough while in reverse will stop the forward motion and go in reverse. Hill Start Assist will activate when the brake is somewhat firmly pressed and it'll hold for a few seconds. Press the brake too lightly on a decline, HSA won't activate, and it'll roll forward.

I presume that there was no powering forward, only gravity assisted forward motion.

It's as it was designed and there is no issue with it. It could be debated if it should have been designed that way, but I personally believe it's a good compromise.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Yes, I presumed it was facing downhill, and downhill enough for it to roll forward while in reverse, unless the brake is applied. Pressing on the accelerator enough while in reverse will stop the forward motion and go in reverse. Hill Start Assist will activate when the brake is somewhat firmly pressed and it'll hold for a few seconds. Press the brake too lightly on a decline, HSA won't activate, and it'll roll forward.

I presume that there was no powering forward, only gravity assisted forward motion.

It's as it was designed and there is no issue with it. It could be debated if it should have been designed that way, but I personally believe it's a good compromise.
Sure I can see that happening in that situation.

It sounded like Theboton pressed the gas and went forward while in reverse.
That would be the first time I've heard that one.
Frig likes this.

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:36 PM

As others have pointed out it could be the hill start assist feature. It could also be a sticky sensor for the hill start assist where it thinks you are on an incline but actually you are not. I have also heard of one other case where the transmission had to be replaced but that was for a hybrid.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
As others have pointed out it could be the hill start assist feature. It could also be a sticky sensor for the hill start assist where it thinks you are on an incline but actually you are not. I have also heard of one other case where the transmission had to be replaced but that was for a hybrid.
In that other case of the hybrid, do you remember why that transmission was replaced? What was it doing?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
In that other case of the hybrid, do you remember why that transmission was replaced? What was it doing?
This was on the Facebook group. The poster had a long list of problems, including a bad 12 volt battery, shifter not shifting and things like that. His last post was on June 24, but haven't heard the final result.

So, fca finally has a verdict. It may be the transmission. It threw codes for ice and motor a position sensors. Motor A overheating, and then a bunch of misfires. Tech put it in reverse....it drive forward. So, sounds like the ice and motor A are fighting each other. Hoping just swapping it out fixes it.
Frig likes this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
This was on the Facebook group. The poster had a long list of problems, including a bad 12 volt battery, shifter not shifting and things like that. His last post was on June 24, but haven't heard the final result.

So, fca finally has a verdict. It may be the transmission. It threw codes for ice and motor a position sensors. Motor A overheating, and then a bunch of misfires. Tech put it in reverse....it drive forward. So, sounds like the ice and motor A are fighting each other. Hoping just swapping it out fixes it.
Thanks, and yikes! In that particular case sounds like it didn't just roll. Scary.

Still don't know what happened in OP's case.

Tags
backing up , reverse , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page