Road Trip, ESS, V53 Recall - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By DSQUIRT
  • 1 Post By Frig
  • 1 Post By Kenosavvy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Road Trip, ESS, V53 Recall

1) Just returned from a 800 mile road trip from North Texas to Central Texas and back. Van performed flawlessly with ACC operating well and transmission shifting downshifting appropriately. MPG on van's screen showed 29.7 on the way down and 28.4 on the way back. This included about 15% city driving and highway speeds averaging 70. Full load and A/C was set at 73 degrees. Very pleased.
2) My ESS system basically stopped working last year in October. Due to health issues, I have not driven the van much as even after this road trip, total miles is 5,400. The van's screen always indicated that the ESS system was inoperative due to battery charging. Since I wasn't too concerned with it, I just left the issue alone as I didn't want to run the van to the dealership just for this issue. Other than the ESS system not working, I experienced no other issues as others have reported such as engine stalling.
3) Since I received the V53 recall notice, I took the van in for that and mentioned to the Service Advisor that the ESS system had not been working for over six months. He had that checked and when I picked up the van, I was told that both batteries were bad and that they were both replaced under warranty. The ESS system works as designed now (of course, the batteries are new) and functioned well during my road trip. For me, it's not hard to regulate the pressure on the brake pedal when coming to a stop so that when I know a light would be changing shortly, the ESS system will not activate. I don't know if the V53 recall made any difference in my case as I experienced no other issues before the recall.
Will keep everyone posted.
Hilltoppper and Frig like this.

DSQUIRT
'17 Pacifica Limited, July 17 Build, Purchased August 17
Granite Crystal; Black/Mocha
Trailer Tow Package, Vacuum, All Safety Options
Previous, 2012 T & C Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info. You got it about 2 years ago? Yeah that's super low mileage and not enough to keep the ESS system charged and ready. Looks like the combo of fresh batteries and long trip have it back up running, and the recall didn't hurt either. I'm guessing if you go back to super low mileage, ESS will give up again until you log another long trip. If so I'd be interested to hear an update in a few months, thanks again.
DSQUIRT likes this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:08 PM

"I don't know if the V53 recall made any difference in my case as I experienced no other issues before the recall."

Like I said before, dealers are giving out new batteries like they're candy, just trying to keep owners happy! Mention that your ESS is not working and they immediately suspect the batteries, when in reality, the loose ground on the auxiliary battery (fixed in the V53 Recall) has been found to be THE cause of both the auxiliary battery going bad and the ESS system not working. (They go together hand in hand.) I don't know why the main battery had to be replaced, that could have been caused simply by not being driven enough, because I don't think it's related to the ESS problems.

But if the V53 Recall was performed properly, that alone would have probably solved both your auxiliary battery charging problems and your ESS problems.

Since your ESS system wasn't working before the V53 Recall, you won't notice which of your ESS problems actually went away. Most owners are reporting that the V53 Recall did away with all of their ESS problems

I would keep an eye on it though, the minute you see the ESS system going back to not working properly (should that ever happen), I would question whether the V53 Recall was done properly the first time.
DSQUIRT likes this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
Power 8-Way Passenger Seat

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenosavvy View Post
Like I said before, dealers are giving out new batteries like they're candy, just trying to keep owners happy!
Other members on here don't seem to be saying that at all.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:20 PM

"Other members on here don't seem to be saying that at all."

Look at the threads where owners report to the dealers that their ESS system isn't working or that they want their auxiliary battery load tested. Quite a few seem to come away with new batteries!

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
"Other members on here don't seem to be saying that at all."

Look at the threads where owners report to the dealers that their ESS system isn't working or that they want their auxiliary battery load tested. Quite a few seem to come away with new batteries!
I'm well aware of those threads. Quite a few have not been given new batteries like they were candy.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:34 PM

"I'm well aware of those threads. Quite a few have not been given new batteries like they were candy."

OK, I give. What did the dealers do for those folks who complained of a bad aux Battery then if you know so much? What else could they do if their aux bat wouldn't charge up and their ESS didn't work?

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Velvet Red Pearl
Black/Alloy Interior
Advanced SafetyTec
Premium Audio
Tire and Wheel Group
Trailer Tow Group
KeySense
Alloy Seats
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
"I'm well aware of those threads. Quite a few have not been given new batteries like they were candy."

OK, I give. What did the dealers do for those folks who complained of a bad aux Battery then if you know so much? What else could they do if their aux bat wouldn't charge up and their ESS didn't work?
I was at 36K miles (out of warranty) when my aux battery failed.

I paid $190 + tax for a new battery.

I am now booked in again (with a $125 diagnostic fee) to work out why the backup camera has failed since the aux battery was replaced.

pt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page