Adaptive Cruise Control - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Adaptive Cruise Control

We just completed a 1700-mile journey in our 2019 Pacifica Limited and got to use the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC). What a great feature. I have used standard Cruise Control on other cars. Problem is that on most highways there is just too much traffic to actually cruise at your desired speed without constantly having to manually decelerate or brake, and then push a button to resume. The ACC takes care of all that nicely. I went for hundreds of miles and never had to use my foot for braking or thumb on the steering wheel. Just let the ACC sensors determine when to slow down and resume to your desired speed. Really nice.

Overall the car ran really well and was a very comfortable ride for a long trip. Still happy with the purchase.
Norbert, Waldo, stop-eject and 6 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 02:58 AM

Do you experience any noise while using the ACC? I have 2019 Limited and when using ACC and the car needs to slow down it makes short strange noise (almost like metal grinding). No error codes light up it is just annoying. You can hear it over music if you pay attention but you would definitely hear it if you mute your radio. I know there was a separate thread which states it could be normal but nothing conclusive. What i find disturbing is that I reached out to FCA directly and they do not know if this is normal. I pinged several Chrysler services even in diff states and same thing. How is this possible? If it is by design, then every Pacifica with ACC should make this noise (supposedly actuator is making that noise) and FCA and their authorized services should know about it. Anybody else got a definitive answer?

If only some folks have that noise then the question is why and what is causing it and how to fix it?

If anybody wants to replicate it: if you engage ACC and it’s tracing the car in front of you and that car is going to a complete stop Paci will make that noise around 10 mph. On a freeway if you have ACC enabled let’s say at 60 mph and you are tracing a car in front of you, which is going 60 mph all you need to do is to override the ACC by stepping on a gas pedal to accelerate for a brief moment and then let go off of the gas pedal and (at least my) Paci makes that grinding noise as it slows it down to the get to the preset speed again. You can repeat it several times and you should get the noise every time.

Last edited by Nastominko; 07-23-2019 at 03:10 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:13 AM

Garage
ACC is greatly appreciated by me as I drive in Toronto, Ontario traffic up to Barrie, Ontario. As the original post stated, the Pacifica ACC does it all for you. In fact the only concern I have is when I do depress the brake and the ACC is then automatically disengaged. If you forget that you touched the brake and that the ACC is disengaged then you "think" erroneously the vehicle is going to slow your vehicle down... oops! In any case I love the ACC feature. The noise I believe the second poster is referencing is normal as the special motors are engaged to apply the brakes.
Maynard likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 AM

I haven’t noticed the noise mentioned by the other poster. Maybe I will have to pay more attention to the noises now. My only issue with adaptive cruise is the way the car speeds up when an obstructing vehicle in the front has cleared and set speed is higher than what it was going. In that situation the car accelerates like a teenage driver going on a rampage until it reaches the desired speed.
The designers who calibrated the adaptive cruise forgot that cruise control is activated mostly when drivers want a serene and relaxed driving experience.
thclimer likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
That sudden acceleration is a beef of mine too. When following a vehicle well under my ACC set speed, I pass by timing my lane change to a passing car on the left and hitch in behind them. The van locks on to that car but does not race like a teenager due to the gradual increase of spacing. Timing is critical for that manuver.

When a slower moving car suddenly exits and leaves open road ahead, I wish I had an answer.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 PM

I have tried the ACC several times in light highway traffic and on my commute (45mph roads). I have been less than impressed every time I have used it. None of them movements seem to be smooth, the braking is very late, and acceleration more than it needs to be. I engaged it one time with a car much further ahead in my lane, and the car slammed on the brakes and almost engaged ABS! The car was 100 yards ahead of me and traveling at speed.

At this point I have much less confidence the ACC system than I do my own driving...
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 12:49 PM

that noise = normal

"I'll procrastinate later..."
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:33 PM

What is causing it? I have another car made by another manufacturer and it’s as quiet as it can be. My friend’s Jeep Cherokee with Hemi is also quiet. Jeep and a Chrysler share a lot of the same components.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartan View Post
I have tried the ACC several times in light highway traffic and on my commute (45mph roads). I have been less than impressed every time I have used it. None of them movements seem to be smooth, the braking is very late, and acceleration more than it needs to be. I engaged it one time with a car much further ahead in my lane, and the car slammed on the brakes and almost engaged ABS! The car was 100 yards ahead of me and traveling at speed.

At this point I have much less confidence the ACC system than I do my own driving...
Have you tried changing the number of car-lengths setting to see if this helps? In slower traffic, I always set things to only 1 car-length.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
Have you tried changing the number of car-lengths setting to see if this helps? In slower traffic, I always set things to only 1 car-length.
It happens no matter what. It's happened to me where someone slammed on their brakes 3-4 car lengths ahead. I had my distance set to 1 car, and the VAN slammed on the brakes so hard, it made me feel like I was about to crash.

...and just wait till someone slow cuts in-front of you when you are on ACC, if you want to feel hard braking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in