Van won’t start - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Van won’t start

This occurs at least once a day, we will go to crank the van and it won’t start. There are a bunch messages being displayed in the dash, vehicle not in park, traction control error, blind spot disabled, etc.

This happened on the day of our purchase, the salesman was shocked, and several others came out to try and help to no avail.

I basically just wait a few min, pop the hood, close the hood and wait some more, then it finally decided to crank. Anyone know what’s going on? The van is currently at the dealership being checked out. Hopefully know something later this week.

[B]2019 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus[/B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:33 PM

All those messaged hopefully mean some codes are being stored. Those codes will give the technician guidance on where to start looking for problems. Whatever's gong on sounds amazing, though.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:22 PM

A bunch of disjointed error messages sometimes has meant low battery voltage. Might have one (or both) batteries going bad.

Pat
17 Pacifica Touring L

Previous vans:
08 T&C Touring
00 T&C 3.8
95 GV 3.3
89 Caravan 3.0

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Van won’t start!!!

This is so annoying. I’m currently sitting in my van that will not start! When we took it to the dealer last week, they found the batteries were ok, and recommended and completed a PCM flash.

Well I’m having the same issues plus some. On Saturday the screen was stuck on the back up camera and then it transitioned to a blue screen, “camera not available” then back to the back up camera. I had no access to the radio controls or other functions. I need to get Chrysler involved.

Luckily I’m in a safe place and can wait til this van decides to start. Arghhh!

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdcruizer05 View Post
This is so annoying. I’m currently sitting in my van that will not start! When we took it to the dealer last week, they found the batteries were ok, and recommended and completed a PCM flash.

Well I’m having the same issues plus some. On Saturday the screen was stuck on the back up camera and then it transitioned to a blue screen, “camera not available” then back to the back up camera. I had no access to the radio controls or other functions. I need to get Chrysler involved.

Luckily I’m in a safe place and can wait til this van decides to start. Arghhh!
Borderline unsafe. Can you cycle through the status messages? What's the battery voltage?

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:00 PM

Over the years whenever strange stuff starts happening to our Chrysler minivan (this is our fifth), sometimes disconnecting the negative battery cable, waiting 10 minutes, then reconnecting said cable takes care of all kinds of issues. Just a thought.
Frig likes this.

2018 Pacifica Touring L Plus (gas)
Built April 10, 2018 (Tuesday)
Molten silver exterior
Toffee cognac alloy interior (gray carpeting)
Advanced Safety Tech
18" tire/wheel group (Michelin Premier tires)
Spare tire kit w/tire, sealer and inflator
Mopar Lifetime warranty

Mods:
Lumar AIR 80 front side window tint.
Maxpider Kagu front mats (with thanks to thread started by Chase023 in Accessories and Add Ons forum).
Alla 7443 LED brake/turn signal bulbs (with thanks to Josef15111 sticky in Electronics forum).
iJDMTOY Amber CAN-bus PWY24W LED front turn signal bulbs (credit same Josef15111 sticky).
JDM ASTAR 1200 lumens LED backup bulbs (with thanks to KorbenD in LED Replacement Lights topic of Electronics subforum).
Catizon H11 LEDs CREE for fogs (with thanks to Stop-Eject in LED Replacement Lights topic; and for his instructions).
VLED Micro LED 9011 low-beams (with thanks to Fast55 for advice on beam pattern)
Viofo A119S dash cam (have A118 on my 4Runner)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

The messages just kinda cycle on their own, I can’t remember the voltage. Anyways I called Chrysler and got a ticket started, I’m parking it. Dealer won’t have a loaner til next Wednesday.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
The messages just kinda cycle on their own, I can’t remember the voltage. Anyways I called Chrysler and got a ticket started, I’m parking it. Dealer won’t have a loaner til next Wednesday.
Did anyone try to jump the battery? If that works, then I'd have them check the batteries again.
What is the manufacture date on edge of the driver's door?
Frig likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 08-07-2019 at 01:08 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:31 PM

Yes, i'm really interested on when it was manufactured, that'll tell us how long it sat on the lot, if at all.

This happened the day you purchased it on July 15th? For that reason alone, regardless of them saying the batteries checked out, I'd politely demand that they swap out both batteries asap. Might not solve the problem but will eliminate it as an unknown. If it's in a safe location they could even bring the batteries to it, seems to be a pretty straightforward swap, or you could even do it yourself.

@PacificaMinivanFan has a great suggestion, basically rebooting the sucker, which will happen if you swap batteries.

If they balk then go get some aftermarket batteries, can't hurt to try something, but your dealer should accommodate you if they want a happy customer.

At the very least you know the salesman is a liar, he (or she) should never be shocked by a new car not starting. Annoyed or embarrassed yes, but never shocked, it happens. That's good info to know, that he's deceptive, or at the very least inexperienced.
craig likes this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 AM

Quote:
You could also private message @ChryslerCares by clicking on the @ChryslerCares letters to see if they can work with the dealer to figure out what the problem is if it isn't a battery issue. It might take a couple of days for @ChryslerCares to respond to your message.

If you can jump start the van, another possibility is to go to a battery or auto parts store and see if they will test the batteries. I can understand not wanting to buy batteries since this is a new van and the batteries should be under warranty for 3 years/36,000 miles. If that is the problem, the dealer should replaced them at no cost to you. I would also ask to see the results of the dealer battery test or ask what tester they used. My dealer used a GR8 battery tester.

If you have access to the van, you might be able to check the main battery voltage by scrolling through the vehicle information using the arrows on the left side of the steering wheel. Even if the van won't start, you can press the start button twice WITHOUT pressing the brake pedal and it should be in RUN without the engine running. (This normally will allow you to access touchscreen and display info without running the engine of the van.)

My van has only a 12V battery since it doesn't have ESS. When I had a dead battery in May, I knew right away that it was dead. It had started fine that morning, but it was completely dead in the afternoon. I ignored the random messages since I'd read about other battery issues on the forum. I checked the voltage and it read about 8.6V. The battery was able to be jumped so I drove to the dealer who found that the battery needed replaced. (That battery was only 4 months old so a battery doesn't have to be old to fail. It was put in the van as a replacement for the 28 month old battery that was failing which threw some codes when the van was being checked for something else.)

You can also check the UConnect website to see if there are any updates for the touchscreen by putting your VIN in at that website. Print the page if there are any updates since sometimes dealers won't check that websites for updates. I've had to give them the paper for updates. They only seem to check the Mopar website for updates if there is a specific problem.

It isn't normal for your van to be having so many problems which is why we think it could be battery related. If the dealer you bought the van from doesn't solve the problem, you can take it to any Chrysler dealer for warranty repairs. Please let us know what the solution is so we can assist others in the future.
Frig and thclimer like this.

2017 Pacifica Touring L (gas) - Sept. 2016 build

Last edited by SciTchr; 08-07-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in