ACC Question - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

ACC Question

I have a 2018 PacHy Limited. There have been a few issues, but I've generally been happy. One reoccurring thing that has come up is with the ACC. When we come across a stopped vehicle (ie at a stoplight), it doesn't seem to recognize the vehicle in front of us 90% of the time (and accordingly, makes no efforts to brake). I can't figure out the difference between that other 10% where it does seem to "see" the stopped car.

Is this normal? I know if you try to engage the ACC when there is a stopped vehicle it won't let you and gives you the message that it won't because there is a stopped object, so I'm not sure why it can't "see" the stopped object when ACC is engaged.

It's currently at the Dealer (for the recall) and I brought this up and they seemed to think this was typical...

I've searched the forum and FB group about this and no one else has mentioned it that I can find, but it's possible I've missed it.

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 07:55 AM

I think ACC will only come to a stop if it sees the vehicle in front also come to a stop, i.e. you have to be following behind the vehicle and the system must see it slow to a stop. Are you coming up on a stopped vehicle at full speed and expecting it to stop?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:27 AM

I've got to ask the dumb question first: you understand that ACC and standard Cruise Control use different start buttons? (This comes from many years of answering service calls for computers that were merely unplugged!)

1. It may be broken. Your dealer's answer is unhelpful, and not true.
2. Is the "Cyclops Eye" sensor in front clean?
3. Where is the car length gap set? Try 5 or 6 for highway and 3 or 4 for city.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:57 PM

This is normal.

See the post at https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...tml#post122753.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
you understand that ACC and standard Cruise Control use different start buttons?
This is most likely the issue.

2018 Limited Gas
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Yes, while I understand that it's normal to ask that question, I am very much aware of the difference between standard and adaptive cruise control.

And, the ACC works in every other instance, and the "eye" is clean. I personally keep it to the max car lengths in most instances b/c I don't fully trust it yet.

I did read the other thread (thank you!), but even there it seems that there's some disagreement between folks -- should the ACC recognize a stopped car that it comes upon a fully stopped vehicle? I'm positive it's not "seeing" the car because, aside from not slowing down in any way, it also doesn't have the green car icon in front of the car lengths light like it does when it "sees" and adapts to other, moving, vehicles.

FWIW, it has also (3-4 times) utilized the FCW system and braked for no reason (with the loud alerts and hard brake), but that's far less concerning to me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 04:26 PM

I think you may be confused with 2 different safety systems. ACC is meant to follow the car in front of you. If ACC is active and there is a car stopped at a light, what takes over the Automatic Emergency Braking. AEB works well when the difference in speed between you and the stopped car is small. It doesn't work as well when the difference in speed is large.

Watch these NCAP videos to see how different cars perform at different speeds:

https://www.euroncap.com/en/vehicle-...driving-tests/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in