Pacifica vs 2018 Odyssey - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I find that it has some road noise though (mild), it wasn't apparent when I tested the limited model earlier. Is there a difference in sound proofing between the trim levels?
Also the difference in center console, dash and steering wheel is too obvious from the limited version.
Initially I was concerned about fitting two child seats in the third row due to limited space for third person, but I improvised by hooking both ends of one child seat latch to a single hook. This being a rental, only seven seat option was available and we are seven already.
I also liked the beige / coffee interiors. Hopefully I'll develop a positive impression by this weekend. Wish me well.
I had a rental Touring-L and own a Touring-L plus.
I noticed that the Touring-L may be louder as well. According to the detailed specs here, the Touring-L plus and above have an acoustic windshield while the L does not.

Another option is to install the car seats with the belt instead of LATCH. I did this with my Diono's because they are heavy and the LATCH installation has a lower combined child+car seat weight limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I find that it has some road noise though (mild), it wasn't apparent when I tested the limited model earlier. Is there a difference in sound proofing between the trim levels? .
I'm not sure, but our Limited is really quiet. Much much quieter than my former Grand Caravan, but that wasn't bad either.
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
I had a rental Touring-L and own a Touring-L plus.
I noticed that the Touring-L may be louder as well. According to the detailed specs here, the Touring-L plus and above have an acoustic windshield while the L does not.

Another option is to install the car seats with the belt instead of LATCH. I did this with my Diono's because they are heavy and the LATCH installation has a lower combined child+car seat weight limit.
I see. That's the difference I'm hearing. Great. Thank you for that information.

post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 01:08 AM

Quote:
3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen .... Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
The rental touring-L had the overhead DVD entertainment system. We did not use it since my kids are in rear facing car seats.

I'm not sure but you might be able to get an 8 passenger Limited without the seat back theater option and get the overhead DVD system. When I was shopping for my van, a limited 8 seater without uconnect theater was less $1k more than the L-plus I eventually bought. I actually preferred the limited since the uconnect theater is not useful to me but that dealer did not want to negotiate and I got a better deal on the L-plus.

Also, it is likely you'll get a better deal on the Pacifica than on the Odyssey. You can see posts in the dealers and purchasing forum about $10K off MSRP.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Also do you have the 18 inch wheel option on your rental? If you have the standard 17's, they won't be the quieter Michelin tires that go on the 18's.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #16 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-19-2017, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm still debating between the Elite and the Limited with advanced safety tech since they appear to be almost matched in price and features.
However my concerns with the Pacifica are.

1) Seats are not as comfy as the Odyssey, they are thinner, (but the second time I tested them they seemed fine).
2) If there are two child seats in the rear, third passenger cannot sit there (since one of the car seat anchors is located more central than at side). It is a problem for me since I routinely will have seven passengers (kids ages 5,2, and newborn)
3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen .... Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
4) cabin watch is nice option to keep an eye on our newborn.

The positives for Pacifica which I noted are

1) More technology and custom options than Odyssey. (360 deg camera, stop / go ACC, self park, etc)
2) Generally better looking (for me)
3) Ride is marginally better, seems to have more power and handles better while turning corners.
4) Overall better build quality than the Odyssey (doors having a European thud on closing..., ) steering wheel is nicer to hold, dash is plush and upscale (where as Honda is rubber with fake stitches) I also like the instrument panel look in the Odyssey though but Pacifica's is simply better. The Key seems to have better quality than the Odyssey.

Positives for Odyssey
1) All LED headlights
2) Better resale value
3) More reliable in long term...???

Someone please help me out. After two test drives of Pacifica and one for the Odyssey, I'm still at square one. My heart says Pacifica and brain says Odyssey. It's killing me.
Would price be the tie breaker? A Ody Limited is about 10K more than the Pacifica Limited (after taking in discounts and none for the Ody). Even accounting for potentially higher resale value for Honda, there's no way you can make back that 10K in resale value. So the cabinwatch and magic slide seat are the two features to be had vs the Pacifica's hands free sliding doors, stow and go seats, full time ACC, surround view and auto park.

Last edited by cyph; 06-19-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #17 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Also do you have the 18 inch wheel option on your rental? If you have the standard 17's, they won't be the quieter Michelin tires that go on the 18's.
That could also explain the noise difference I thought I noticed. I have 18inch wheels with Michelin Premiers on my Touring-L plus. The rental Touring-L had 17inch wheels with Yokohama Avid S33 (not sure about the exact model).
post #18 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 12:26 AM

I think the rental car had 18" wheels, but I'm not positive though (picture on post #10).
As I understand the 8 seater comes with 20" wheels which are not Michelin premiers..correct? Is there any other option there because I would like the 8 seater.
We had a nice drive (actually a blast..). I'm loving it even more now. My wife feels more positive towards the Pacifica now as well. The one feature that she didn't like was the inability to move second seat forwards to have more space in the third row (even though it was acceptable). I loved the easy tilt mechanism for the seats. We didn't use the stow and go since we needed all seven seats and the center area was free anyway.
@ Cyph: I know about the good price discounts for Pacifica and that could be a real swaying factor one way or the other now. I'm unsure if our dealer would match those discounts, but I could get it from farther away as well. I also understand that as Odyssey inventories build they may be more open to discounts (but less likely). Will probably do one more test of the Odyssey before we make a decision.
If I could summarize my weekend experience in one sentence; this was the first time I was proud to drive and park a minivan in the midst of a crowd of SUVs and cars. It felt like landing a spaceship on a planet. I never felt like this with the Dodges and older chrysler rentals.
post #19 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 01:16 AM

Garage
Hey Bond, I agree it would have been nice to be able to slide the 2nd row seats a bit, but have you considered the difference in feet room? What I mean is, how much space there is for feet. With the Pacifica's 2nd row outboard seats, there is nothing underneath towards the rear of the seats, so there's plenty of space to extend your feet. I would think that the sliding track on the Odyssey would take up that foot space, but I have yet to actually see a 2018 Ody to actually check it. If your 3rd row passenger's knees have enough space in both vehicles, wouldn't they have more feet space in the Pac?
post #20 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Nice Bond. It really only need one test drive to see how good the Pac is!

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page