Pacifica vs 2018 Odyssey - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I think the rental car had 18" wheels, but I'm not positive though (picture on post #10).
As I understand the 8 seater comes with 20" wheels which are not Michelin premiers..correct? Is there any other option there because I would like the 8 seater.
Those look like the upgraded wheels. So it should be the 18" and not the 17" standard wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:08 AM

My wife is still stuck on the flexibllity of sliding seats (forward and side) and overhead screen and sees it as a big differentiating factor. We are keeping it slow for now. Will do our next set of tests when she feels ready. BTW I read somewhere that they have stopped producing the 2017 Pacifica and it cannot be made to order now?

Last edited by Bond007; 06-23-2017 at 09:20 AM.
post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobe View Post

I'm not sure but you might be able to get an 8 passenger Limited without the seat back theater option and get the overhead DVD system .....
Also, it is likely you'll get a better deal on the Pacifica than on the Odyssey. You can see posts in the dealers and purchasing forum about $10K off MSRP.
I checked out the overhead DVD system but as you said it is not connected to anywhere. You simply have to put DVD directly into the player. I don't prefer that (I'd like to have some control at least ). Also it doesn't show up as an option in the limited version.
I saw one Pacifica with almost 10K off from a dealer about four hours away. It has everything I want plus trailer tow package. I don't have a need to tow anything. Can that be removed as a package?

Last edited by Bond007; 06-23-2017 at 09:24 AM.

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
1) Seats are not as comfy as the Odyssey, they are thinner, (but the second time I tested them they seemed fine).
I assume you mean the front seats. My first impression of the Pacifica seats was that they were firm. The Sienna and Sedona seemed better. But now that I've done a 4 hour drive in the Pacifica, I have no concerns about firmness. I didn't hear a single complaint about butt burn from my wife, which hasn't been the case with any of our previous vehicles.

Quote:
2) If there are two child seats in the rear, third passenger cannot sit there (since one of the car seat anchors is located more central than at side). It is a problem for me since I routinely will have seven passengers (kids ages 5,2, and newborn)
You can put two car seats plus an adult in the 3rd row, the easiest way is to put the two car seats in 3D and 3P and the adult in the middle. I think you could also put one in 3C and one in 3P and have room for an adult in 3D, but it looks like installation will be harder and I haven't tried it. The Odyssey offers the possibility of putting 3 car seats across in the 3rd row, but you'll need the narrowest seats you can find and I suspect installing them all will be a challenge. If you're only carrying seven passengers, it will be easier to go three across in the 2nd row.

Quote:
3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen .... Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
You won't have to worry about touch screens for a while because it's hard for kids to reach the touch screens when they're buckled into a 5-point harness. Well, maybe with their feet
Viewability from the 3rd row is definitely a plus for the ceiling mounted screen. However, one screen can only display one thing, so I think you're just as likely to face drama over finding something that all three kids want to watch. We definitely liked the fact that the two screens in the Pacifica could be completely independent, or linked. If you end up getting the Pacifica, you might find that by the time your newborn is forward facing, your oldest will be happier with a tablet.

Quote:
4) cabin watch is nice option to keep an eye on our newborn.
Yeah, I would have liked to have this for monitoring rear facing seats. I've seen some people strap mirrors to the seat back for this, but that seems unsafe to me. In a hard front collision that mirror could break loose and turn into a projectile heading right for your kid's face.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
Quote:
1) Seats are not as comfy as the Odyssey, they are thinner, (but the second time I tested them they seemed fine).
I assume you mean the front seats. My first impression of the Pacifica seats was that they were firm. The Sienna and Sedona seemed better. But now that I've done a 4 hour drive in the Pacifica, I have no concerns about firmness. I didn't hear a single complaint about butt burn from my wife, which hasn't been the case with any of our previous vehicles.

Quote:
2) If there are two child seats in the rear, third passenger cannot sit there (since one of the car seat anchors is located more central than at side). It is a problem for me since I routinely will have seven passengers (kids ages 5,2, and newborn)
You can put two car seats plus an adult in the 3rd row, the easiest way is to put the two car seats in 3D and 3P and the adult in the middle. I think you could also put one in 3C and one in 3P and have room for an adult in 3D, but it looks like installation will be harder and I haven't tried it. The Odyssey offers the possibility of putting 3 car seats across in the 3rd row, but you'll need the narrowest seats you can find and I suspect installing them all will be a challenge. If you're only carrying seven passengers, it will be easier to go three across in the 2nd row.

Quote:
3) Seatback video monitors only on the second row is a set up for frustration and drama in the car. I understand that a kid in third row can watch the opposite side screen, but he/she would not tolerate the other kid having the ability to operate the touch screen .... Simply put I prefer the ceiling mounted video screen.
You won't have to worry about touch screens for a while because it's hard for kids to reach the touch screens when they're buckled into a 5-point harness. Well, maybe with their feet
Viewability from the 3rd row is definitely a plus for the ceiling mounted screen. However, one screen can only display one thing, so I think you're just as likely to face drama over finding something that all three kids want to watch. We definitely liked the fact that the two screens in the Pacifica could be completely independent, or linked. If you end up getting the Pacifica, you might find that by the time your newborn is forward facing, your oldest will be happier with a tablet.

Quote:
4) cabin watch is nice option to keep an eye on our newborn.
Yeah, I would have liked to have this for monitoring rear facing seats. I've seen some people strap mirrors to the seat back for this, but that seems unsafe to me. In a hard front collision that mirror could break loose and turn into a projectile heading right for your kid's face.
Thanks for your insights. They are definitely helpful. As I mentioned before, I rented a Pacifica for a weekend and did a long drive 5+ hours one way and didn't feel any problems with seating comfort. That's not a huge issue now.
You've got me thinking about the dual video screens now. I realize that kids can't operate the touch screen while strapped and two are better than one.
I've been using mirrors on my back seat for the last five years. You've got me thinking hard about that safety aspect too ..... hmmm...
Thanks a lot.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 01:59 PM

Bond, don't just stop with the safety concern of the mirror to see your rear facing car seat (mirror is strapped to head rest area) but also keep in mind ANY loose items in the rear cargo area that can become projectile. Not just the mirror. Items placed in the cargo area are almost never secured and will be much more likely to be projectiles vs the strapped on mirror.
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 PM

Cool Decision made...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80085 View Post
Hey Bond, I agree it would have been nice to be able to slide the 2nd row seats a bit, but have you considered the difference in feet room? What I mean is, how much space there is for feet. With the Pacifica's 2nd row outboard seats, there is nothing underneath towards the rear of the seats, so there's plenty of space to extend your feet. I would think that the sliding track on the Odyssey would take up that foot space, but I have yet to actually see a 2018 Ody to actually check it. If your 3rd row passenger's knees have enough space in both vehicles, wouldn't they have more feet space in the Pac?
Okay ...So today wifey tells me she wants to check out the Odyssey. Off we went to a dealer who had the new green color in Touring model. It was more grayish than green. The seats and interior in general felt more durable and comfortable. The dash was rubbery but the instrument console felt trendy. We liked the beige color since it was a little darker than we thought. The Mocha interior was too dark gray. We both test drove and it felt okay. Not much noise, transmission was smooth. Wifey was having some trouble getting the perfect seating position (she's vertically challenged...). My 5 year old was gleaming and liking the Honda for the video screen.
My interest was in the 2nd and 3rd row this time. The legs space in 3rd row was enough. I checked out the foot space as well, the sliding mechanism doesn't intrude anywhere there. It's only present at the side edges of seats and therefore doesn't compromise the foot space. As you all know, the magic seats work only in 7 seat configuration. With 8 seats in place, you cannot get into the 3rd row without folding the second row seat. The forward motion of seat alone is not sufficient to generate enough space behind to squeeze through. Pacifica's easy tilt seat wins here. I brought all of my car seats and strollers inside and installed it just to be sure that everything fits okay. Two car seats in the sides and third adult can just about sit in the middle (in third row).
The cargo area was large. Can place four check in size bags side by side (I brought that one too ). Overall impressed. I enquired about any willingness to negotiate .... but he said that he was selling all the cars within a week anyway. It was true with our other nearby dealer. They had no Odys left on the lot. I thought that wifey's made up her mind already and the deal was done.
While returning we decided to check out the Pacifica once more (just to be sure).
All the limited versions were sold except a 7 seat version sitting inside the showroom. The salesman brought it out. I let my wife test drive it herself this time (since I'd already done it a few times). Her first words were "This looks definitely premium and upscale...like a Mercedes". My 5 year old discovered the seat back video screen and yelled in excitement. I installed her carseat and she was even more happy.
My wife loved the seat adjustments for driver seat better than the Ody. The drive was very smooth and refined. She loved the park assist and 360 cameras too.
The cargo area was minimally smaller than Odyssey but can still fit four check-in size bags sideways (checked with the same bag here too).
Anyway after everything said and done we liked the Pacifica more than the Odyssey.
Together with the potential savings, the amount of kit offered and the premium feel, the balance tilted.
So that's our final decision for now. It's the Pacifica Limited.
I agree that the Odyssey was very very good and had most of the things we wanted (we nearly bought it).... the Pacifica had all those and in addition has the "wow" factor.
Its a bummer that they don't have the right variant for us at present but he will keep us updated on future arrivals. We are also thinking about custom ordering it, but I read somewhere that I cannot order a 2017 model now...???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
Nice Bond. It really only need one test drive to see how good the Pac is!
That's very true in this instance with my wife.

Last edited by Bond007; 06-25-2017 at 11:58 PM.
post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 AM

Quote:
I checked out the overhead DVD system but as you said it is not connected to anywhere. You simply have to put DVD directly into the player. I don't prefer that (I'd like to have some control at least ). Also it doesn't show up as an option in the limited version.
I saw one Pacifica with almost 10K off from a dealer about four hours away. It has everything I want plus trailer tow package. I don't have a need to tow anything. Can that be removed as a package?
I didn't try the overhead DVD in my rental but I thought I saw something about it on the Uconnect screen in the front. So there may be controls for it.
The overhead DVD might be a dealer installed option since you can get it as an Mopar accessory.

I did not get the tow package on my car. Now, on these forums I've learned the best option for a bike rack is a hitch mounted one. So it can be useful even without towing.
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 04:56 PM

Congrats Bond. I think Honda is resting on its laurels quite a bit lately. Even as big a fan of Honda as I was, the newer Hondas left me feeling let down. The last Elite I had I kept a bit longer than the previous ones and it was really showing its age. Steering was loose, I had the brake pedal shimmy Hondas are famous for, and a host of rattles. And I hate to admit, the VCM was beginning to rear its ugly head with a vibration off throttle at highway speeds.

In the end, I'm glad Honda tripped and delayed the 2018 Odyssey because it allowed me to look at the Pacifica as an alternative and after research and test drive, I was sold. Looks like you're in the same boat!

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 06-26-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
I did not get the tow package on my car. Now, on these forums I've learned the best option for a bike rack is a hitch mounted one. So it can be useful even without towing.
I see, that's real useful information you just gave me. I do love biking... Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page