Car & Driver still ranks the Pac #1! - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDEW View Post
It sure will help it get off the line quicker. It has a lower first gear. Chrysler also really only uses 8 of our 9 speeds most of the time in the Pac. Not sure why they tuned the final drive ratio the way they did. But the Honda has a better launch with a lower overall 1st gear.
Would a lower first gear really help? Tire grip seems to be the limiting factor when launching. I can break the 18" Michelin Premiers free easily on my Pacifica.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soontobe View Post
Would a lower first gear really help? Tire grip seems to be the limiting factor when launching. I can break the 18" Michelin Premiers free easily on my Pacifica.
I have the 20's on my Limited. I do not think they will break loose. But if the transaxle had an overall lower final drive ratio, it would help I believe, you can roll onto the throttle and launch hard without breaking loose.

Either way, the Pac has plenty of power I think. It wasn't that many years ago when the performance of this minivan would be better than Mustangs, Camaro's and other "muscle" cars.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

I can't chirp our 20's. I think the Pac is plenty quick enough. Would I like it quicker, of course, you know just in case. My philosophy is a fast/quick car can be driven slow but a slow car can't be driven fast. lol. That's my excuse I tell my wife anyway.
Jerith likes this.

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
My philosophy is a fast/quick car can be driven slow but a slow car can't be driven fast. lol.

I used to do a lot of work with Car and Driver and the philosophy we all learned from frequently driving really fast cars is that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" (at least in terms of sporty cars)

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:14 AM

Car and Driver has run multiple articles on the Pacifica, they even had a follow up at 30k miles a few months back and it still earned high marks.

If you read the article they are huge fans of the stow and go seating and are not fans of Honda's new sliding seats. They also prefer Uconnect and gave Honda a hard time because they finally removed the sliding door lines 22 years after Chrysler did.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Pho View Post
I used to do a lot of work with Car and Driver and the philosophy we all learned from frequently driving really fast cars is that "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" (at least in terms of sporty cars)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgUuRVkgJmg
lol, I was referring more to everyday driving than sporty driving. Like being able to merge onto a busy street for example. Its nice to have a car than can accelerate when you need it to. Stuff like that. But I hear you, a Miata is a popular car to track for a reason!

2017 Billet/Alloy Limited - UConnect Theater/Sound, 20 inch Wheels, Safety Tec

Previously:
2001 Ody EX
2004 Ody EX NAV
2006 Ody Touring RES NAV
2009 Ody Touring RES NAV
2011 Ody Elite
2014 Ody Elite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page