comparing Grand Caravan GT & Pacifica - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

comparing Grand Caravan GT & Pacifica

Checking out Pacifica vs Grand Caravan GT.
My main interest is getting the Safety Tec (ST) or Advanced Safety Tec (AST) system. On the Caravan, ST is only available on the pricey GT ($34,395). If FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make ST available on all lines.
As for the Pacifica, I'd love to get the AST, but you have to get a Touring-L+ ($38,295) to get that. Lots of extra bucks and extra gimcracks, and it includes leather seats, while I want cloth. Again, if FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make AST available on all lines.
At first, GT looked like a money saver even tho I'd get stuck with leather, but it looks like Pacifica has a new model, the Touring + that has cloth seating can be had with ST. AND!! it's actually cheaper than the GT at $32,360!! The GT has a few features extra, like heated 2nd row seats, dimming inside mirror, heated steering wheel, that I don't need.
I refuse to consider competing makes, as Stow&Go is a must for the way I use my van (currently a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT). If I couldn't get that I'd drive a sedan with a big trunk.
A final thought- I love the dual gloveboxes and Super Console on my '13 GC. With a little planning, they could have been put into the Pacifica. My wife had a cow when I told her the Pacifica didn't have them.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:39 PM

04Quadcab. I'm assuming by your comparison post that you've test driven the Pacifica, having said that I'm sure you've discovered that the Caravan and Pac are as different as night and day. The ride quality, quietness, tightness (no rattles) of the Pacifica is head and shoulders above the Caravan as it was over my 14' T&C. I have the Touring-L, and yes it has leather, and SafetyTech was standard, and like you going up to the Touring-L + for a lot of features that I really don't have a use for didn't make any sense. I do miss the dual glove box, and the more functional center console that I had on my 2014 T&C, and the heated steering wheel (standard). I'm totally satisfied with this vehicle, and I thoroughly enjoy driving it each every time I get in it.

Good luck making your decision between the two, and if you do go the Pacifica route I'm sure your wife will quickly forget about the super console and dual glove boxes.

<
HiDuck likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring-L, Red Velvet/alloy seats,
8.4 Uconnect, Added NAV. Ordered Late Nov,
Built 12/15/16 - Took delivery 12/21/16
in Michigan
Previous Vans-06 T&C, 08 T&C, 11 T&C,
14 T&C

2008 electric golf cart (Club Car) to get
around the community
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04Quadcab View Post
My main interest is getting the Safety Tec (ST) or Advanced Safety Tec (AST) system. On the Caravan, ST is only available on the pricey GT ($34,395). If FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make ST available on all lines.
As for the Pacifica, I'd love to get the AST, but you have to get a Touring-L+ ($38,295) to get that. Lots of extra bucks and extra gimcracks, and it includes leather seats, while I want cloth. Again, if FCA had any real interest in safety, they'd make AST available on all lines.
At first, GT looked like a money saver even tho I'd get stuck with leather, but it looks like Pacifica has a new model, the Touring + that has cloth seating can be had with ST. AND!! it's actually cheaper than the GT at $32,360!! The GT has a few features extra, like heated 2nd row seats, dimming inside mirror, heated steering wheel, that I don't need.
I refuse to consider competing makes, as Stow&Go is a must for the way I use my van (currently a 2013 Grand Caravan SXT). If I couldn't get that I'd drive a sedan with a big trunk.
A final thought- I love the dual gloveboxes and Super Console on my '13 GC. With a little planning, they could have been put into the Pacifica. My wife had a cow when I told her the Pacifica didn't have them.
If safety is important to you then the Caravan should be disqualified from consideration due to the IIHS small overlap test results.

For price comparisons the MSRP is meaningless due to the large incentives Chrysler always has available.
Gohawks1224, Jerith and Toast like this.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 03:20 PM

I would not recommend a GC (or T&C) ever over the Pacifica... regardless of price.

Get a cheaper Kia instead if you are looking to save money.

I did not enjoy the 4 days I had with the GC (other than the remote start)... the Pacifica, although it shares internal design cues/parts/setup with the GC, is a totally different vanimal.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:35 PM

I agree. Just changed a 2015 T&C LTD for a Pacifica Touring L+ and the Pacifica is way better. Why would anyone prefer cloth seats to leather??? So much easier to clean. So much nicer.

2015 T&C Limited
2012 T&C Limited
2009 Volks Routan (Chrysler)
2000 Chrysler 300M Special
1974 Cherokee Chief (Not Chrysler yet AMC)
1971 T&C
1965 Plymouth Sport Fury
1962 Plymouth Satellite

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Central Fla: Yes, I've test driven the Pacifica (not very far, tho) and was thoroughly impressed with the ride & quietness. After driving it I felt like throwing rocks at my GC.
dmg2010: Yes, the frontal overlap test does bother me, particularly the intrusion of the parking brake into the leg. Since I first saw that I have adopted a policy of seeking the outside lane on 4 lane streets just to avoid some fool wandering over the line and hitting the left front of my car.
OCpacifica: As I said, if it ain't got Stow&Go, it ain't for me!!

Well, thanks, guys for straightening out my thinking. I'm just basically a cheapskate and don't want to spend any more than necessary. My '13 has 86K miles and I take very good care of it mechanically and cosmetically, plus I have at least another 40K miles left in my Continental tires. My 2013 looks & drives like a new car. My original plan was to drive it to at least 200K, but now they've put something out that is clearly much nicer & safer. Consequently, I'm thinking maybe another 20-30K and I'll move on to the Pacifica. You may wonder why I'm looking now- well, I'm 77 yrs old and my next car could well be my last, so I want to get it right.
Anyone know when the Touring Plus was added to the line? New for 2018?
CentralFla likes this.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Anyone know when the Touring Plus was added to the line? New for 2018?

The Touring Plus was added to the line up within the past 3-4 months as a 2017.

<

2017 Pacifica Touring-L, Red Velvet/alloy seats,
8.4 Uconnect, Added NAV. Ordered Late Nov,
Built 12/15/16 - Took delivery 12/21/16
in Michigan
Previous Vans-06 T&C, 08 T&C, 11 T&C,
14 T&C

2008 electric golf cart (Club Car) to get
around the community
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 01:21 AM

Garage
Quote:
There is no comparison between those two lol

BTW, Emergency braking to be standard on all cars in the US by 2022. Automatic Emergency Braking Will Be Standard in Most U.S. Cars by 2022 - NBC News

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohawks1224 View Post

There is no comparison between those two lol
]
May be so. But the fact remains that the Dodge GC is a really well sorted, reliable car which will not break your bank. I had rented the same 2017 GT model last weekend and was actually surprised with the comfort and confidence this minivan exudes. The stow and go area seems to be bigger than Pacifica (but I may be wrong here) and it swollowed all of my grocery shopping there. The one thing that let it down for me was it's dated halogen headlamps.

Last edited by Bond007; 08-07-2017 at 10:53 PM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badge56 View Post
Why would anyone prefer cloth seats to leather??? So much easier to clean. So much nicer.
Leather gets super hot in the summer, cloth is nice and cool without having to get super premium perforated leather.
Leather sticks to skin if you wear shorts. Yuck.
Leather is harder to repair.
[email protected] likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page