2nd and 3rd row seat storage comparison - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

2nd and 3rd row seat storage comparison

We've found that no other NEW mini-van on the market compares to the Pacifica "stow and go" system (at least on the non-hybrid model). Thought I would post our observation here for others:

2017 Chrysler Pacifica - 2nd and 3rd row seats literally fold into the floor, giving you a huge, fairly flat and level area for hauling. You can lay an entire sheet of plywood (4'x8') back there!

2016 Nissan Quest - offers the next best option to the Pacifica, but seats do not fold into the floor. But they do fold forward and flatten out, creating a "raised" floor.

2016 Kia Sedona - offers two options for 2nd row. The standard option has a 3rd row seat back that folds into the floor, but the 2nd row seats "kneel" behind the 1st row seats. You lose about a foot of depth in the storage area since the seats cannot be removed. And if you get the upgraded "recliners" for the 2nd row, you lose another 10" of rear-loading depth since they do not kneel.

2016 Honday Odyssey - 3rd row folds flat, but 2nd row seats must be unlatched and physically removed from the van (we had this on a 2001 Quest and it is a pain - heavy to move and must store them somewhere, too)

2016 Toyota Sienna - rats! I forgot the details. Can someone help complete this list? I know they dont' go flat like the Pacifica (the only new van out there that does at this time (even though our 2008 Quest goes flat.
Momzilla03 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:16 AM

The Toyota is 2nd row seats need to be removed. The 8th seat can be store out of the way in the back of the van when not needed but the outboard seats need to be removed. 3rd row folds into the floor.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:46 AM

There's no comparison, we owned a 2007 Mountaineer with third row seats. They were motor-driven, fit fairly flat (not as much as our T&C or Pacifica), and we kept them that way most of the time. Unfortunately, the one time that we needed them (picking up our son and his family), a gear in the motor broke and there was no way to bring up the one seat, even manually. It took almost a full day to replace the motor and drive assembly (around $220 on line), all for a cheap plastic gear that didn't last more than around 10 uses.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 10:43 AM

I think the qwest is based off a Suv plateform and has higher step in
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 05:09 PM

I just checked the Toyota Sienna. The 2nd row seat slides forward to touch the back of the the front seat, and kind of tips up. It takes up about 2 ft of space. It is not nearly as good as the Sedona in this respect.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Yes in my opinion the Pacifica 2nd row seat design is the best in the industry for the convenience aspect.
However, this particular design raises the load floor slightly and takes away from the valuable TOTAL interior passenger volume compared to the competition, despite Pacifica having the largest exterior dimensions of any minivan.

Total Interior Passenger Volume
Sienna 164 cubic ft
Pacifica 165 cubic ft
Odyssey 170 cubic ft
Sedona 172 cubic ft
Quest 178 cubic ft
*source cars.com

these figures do not include the specs for the incoming redesigned 2018 Odyssey and Sienna that may or may not have more space

It's not a minivan it's a large wagon! 2018 Billet Silver -Black Diesel 8 Passenger Limited, Advanced SafteyTec, Uconnect Theater Harmon Kardon with streaming, Tow Group, Block heater, Keysense, StownVac , 20inch Wheels

Last edited by migs; 01-03-2017 at 09:37 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 01:15 PM

Migs, good point on the height of the interior space. That is where the Pacifica loses out is in overall cubic numbers. Just because a vehicle has a larger number doesn't mean it will necessarily carry the specific object you have in mind. Volume is L*W*H and you got to think about all three and also how large is the actual opening to get your object into the van.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 02:05 PM

Also the second row seats don't have seat back pockets.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-06-2017, 02:24 PM

I currently own an Odyssey and have never had a need to take out the second row, so being able to stow that row has never really been a consideration for my needs. I do however like the idea of having the extra storage in the floor and would probably use that for long trips if I decided to purchase the Pacifica sometime in the future. I always hated the compromise in seat design to make that second row be able to fold into the floor, but am thoroughly impressed with the design of the new seats. Still not quite as comfortable as my current vehicle, but a huge improvement. It's the kind of compromise I could easily live with.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2017, 12:25 PM

Regarding the total passenger interior volume 165 cubic feet for the Pacifica a few posts above, I'm not sure if those specs that I got from cars.com include the available storage space in the second row stow and go.
Anyone have any idea if Chrysler lists the total volume of the stow and go cavities of the second row?

It's not a minivan it's a large wagon! 2018 Billet Silver -Black Diesel 8 Passenger Limited, Advanced SafteyTec, Uconnect Theater Harmon Kardon with streaming, Tow Group, Block heater, Keysense, StownVac , 20inch Wheels

Last edited by migs; 01-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page