Sienna SE or Pacifica - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Sienna SE or Pacifica

I understand the result may be bias here but considering the sienna se, and the pacifica L plus. Likes and dislikes appreciated. One child 16 months and a dad who loves biking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:28 PM

Garage
The Sienna is an older design, compare the electronics and decide if the advanced features in Pacifica are important. And don't forget the stow-n-go. If you're planning to keep the Pacifica for 8 or more years, you will get hit with low resale value.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 03:43 PM

The Odyssey and Pacifica are both far ahead of the Sienna in driving dynamics.

The Sienna is a very well-built appliance, should give you many years of boring trouble free driving. Don't park a white one in your kitchen. The refrigerator might become attracted to its pheromones!

In my opinion, the Pacifica is the styling winner, especially the stunning interior.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 04:59 PM

I'm a former driver of 3 Siennas, the last 2 being the SE trim which to me still looks great as a sporty minivan.

The 2018 models will all get ground kits so not sure how the SE will differentiate itself from the other trims other than the wheels. Technology-wise the 2018s should also catch up to the rest of the pack with safety features and a 360 camera (which the Odyssey still does not have).

I feel the Sienna has more internal space and storage cubbies. There is no 2nd row StowNGo but the seats can slide back and forth for ingress/egress.

If it were just gas models, I would get the Sienna (I am biased) but I have the hybrid because that's something that aces out all other features.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 05:51 PM

I don't know if it's still applicable, but the last time I drove a friend's Sienna it had very poor center seat ( which doesn't have latch seat anchors and it isn't even level with the other seats ... sits lower than the adjacent seats).
The styling of interior and exterior is just ...meh....
But I understand why many people like it. It's got a good and comfortable ride, very reliable and has traditional shifter (in case someone prefers it), LED tail lights etc.
The current styling update makes it from ...meh ... to hideous.
Just the thought of driving a Sienna again makes me yawn.
We are not biased against the Sienna per se, but biased against cosmetic refresh of decades old platform. Right now, the Sienna is no match for Pacifica (except may be in long term reliability).
The next generation Sienna due in 2018-19 could be a complete different story though.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

Last edited by Bond007; 10-02-2017 at 05:57 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 06:05 PM

The one thing which I'm glad about what Chrysler did with the Pacifica was, it caught both Honda and Toyota wrong footed when they were originally planning to launch their respective new generation models in 2016/17. The Odyssey made do with a year delay but by the looks of it, the Sienna probably went back to the drawing board. You just can't underestimate your adversaries, especially if they are hungry.
Talk about... being caught with pants down .....
Norbert likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 09:34 PM

I have a 2004 Toyota Sienna Limited with 278,000 miles on it. It still runs very good and I have had very few problems. Toyota's are extremely reliable (consumer reports agree). I just ordered a Pachy because I think it is light years ahead of the Toyota in technology and by far the coolest mini-van on the market, not to mention the outstanding gas mileage. However, if I did not get a Hybrid and the choice was between the Pacifica and the Sienna, it would be a much closer race, especially if considering the lower trim levels (i.e. not Limited). I still think the Pacifica is a better looking car but the Sienna is probably much more reliable and has more cargo space, . As for as 2017 models go, the Sienna still has much more outdated tech as compared to the Pacifica.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 10:03 PM

I have rented a Sienna many times and was surprised to find that our bikes fit behind the 2nd run seats standing up. It has more space than one would expect. It's been an acceptable vehicle, but does little to stir any emotions causing me to want to own it. Even though my bike fits in it, I still like the idea of the Stow & Go seats in the Pacifica as removing seats is unappealing and leaves you without them when you arrive at your destination. It's the deciding factor for me. If you don't need them, then you have to consider the difference in technology, looks and reliability. FCA has a horrible reputation and well deserved. Perhaps the Pacifica will be different, but it's too soon to tell. Toyota has a great reputation somewhat no longer deserved, in my opinion. I wouldn't buy a '17 Sienna knowing the '18 Sienna is likely going to be have a considerable amount of added safety features/options. Of course, all of this is just my opinion for what is best for my family.

I wish I knew when the '18 Sienna is coming and what features it will offer. However, it's unlikely to have a more versatile 2nd row than the Pacifica's Stow & Go. So, I'm shopping an '18 Pacifica half heartedly as I wait for news about the Sienna.
carrolljscott and MosesSnyder like this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-02-2017, 11:24 PM

I was told Nov/Dec for the 18 Sienna when I was at the auto show.
Rogus likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
Drove 2017 Pacifica Touring L (loaner)
Previously 2014 Sienna SE, 2010 Sienna SE, 2004 Sienna LE
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Garage
For me the Great News is that Chrysler made the Pacifica in such a way that it stopped me from purchasing a third Odyssey in a row. We have always needed a minivan vs. an SUV or Wagon due to the amount of cargo we carry back and forth on our 600 mile journey to cottage country. Once we are at the cottage we need to travel the 16 miles from the marina to the nearest town for groceries and general shopping. Consequently, we have owned Chryslers, Toyotas, and Hondas ever since the introduction of the minivan in the mid-80s. I'd have to say that all of these vehicles have been a pleasure to own and there was no way to beat the versatility. Once the 1999 Odyssey came out, to us the real competition at that point was between the Honda and Toyota even as though Chrysler/Dodge was still out pacing them in annual units. The current vintage Chrysler Pacifica changed all that just over a year ago with a most attractive exterior design while Honda was looking wrinkly and Toyota was a bit puffy. The interior was also way outclassing the other two, not to mention the industry leading Stow N Go. The advanced Safety Tech Group is what sold me on purchasing a new vehicle, but suddenly the Toyota and Honda choices looked a little antiquated. Yes, even with the 2018 Odyssey being available before we made our final decision. Believe it or not with all the new features, sliding 2nd Row Seats and the new Navigation and comparable Safety Tech features the Odyssey still looked a little short on interior refinement to us. I'm afraid even the Honda logo on that steering wheel was starting to look in need of some modernization. Maybe after two Odysseys in a row and both daughters having Odysseys we just would have felt like our new vehicle was a Same-Old, Same-Old. So now we are really enjoying the Chrysler Pacifica Limited with all the bells and whistles. Shame on you Chrysler for giving us a vacuum cleaner vs. a spare tire ...haven't you heard of Maslow?
kentfield1951 likes this.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page