Why the Pacifica over the Odyssey or Sienna? - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 12:17 PM

With the new Odyssey struggling to keep pace with the ancient Sienna, would anyone be surprised that Odyssey will have some major changes / feature additions / updates in next model year. If a newly redesigned model is struggling against its older competition, there is something seriously wrong. The Sienna is supposed to be redesigned next year too..... isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:25 PM

Some of the problem with the Odyssey is Honda's pricing. MSRP is similar to the Sienna and Pacifica, but Honda is not offering much in the way of factory incentives. They still believe they are "the best" and discounting is not necessary. This could be their wake-up year.
Bond007 likes this.
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-25-2017, 05:36 PM

From what I understand, they need to pull up their quality control as well. Honda has one of the best engines in industry but is let down by poor workmanship from the factory. Also some design issues need to be addressed ..... and it needs to be prettier too.... .

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisejd View Post
Which brings up a point that I haven't tried as yet... Everywhere we go I have to open the tailgate/hatch door to retrieve my wife's walker. I wonder if I push the lock button on her front door after I help her out of the vehicle and then go back and push the close button on the hatch, will the vehicle be locked?
(Late reply I know...)
Yes. I like that I can press the driver door exterior button to lock, then get my daughter out through the already open sliding door. Once the sliding door us closed, the car is locked as far as I can tell.
Bond007 likes this.
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 08:33 AM
GDM

My wife and I have been shopping minivans for over a year and have not purchased yet. We keep on coming back to the Pacifica every time because of the styling, stow and go seats, cargo carrying capacity with seats stowed in the van at final destination, and technolology. The infotainment system is one of the best in the Pacifica. We too bike, but have a Thule carrier that is hitch mounted, so the tow package will be something on our need list (always prefer the factory hitch vs aftermarket). We currently own a 2011 Dodge Durango with the 3.6 liter engine, similar to the Pacifica, and have 111,000 trouble free miles on that power plant. We winter in our home in Florida and summer in our home in Wisconsin, so cargo carrying ability is important. Our Durango has about 1/2 to cargo capacity as the Pacifica. We still need the Durango for towing our boat in the Midwest, but the Pacifica is high on our list of purchases for later in 2018 as our future long distance road vehicle.
Bond007 and Frank Nashorn like this.
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-26-2017, 10:55 AM

We're about a month into the 2018 Pacifica - and the answer is yes, would definitely do it again. We came from a Honda Ody (2015) and while I looked at the new 2018, we didn't drive one as ultimately the numbers were not going to work until Honda/dealers started to move on pricing. I did have a good look round the 2018 Ody and while it does seem nicer than the outgoing model, the Pacifica beats it on trim/finish. By all accounts the infotainment is also much better in the Pacifica (although Honda has closed the gap off the ridiculous 2015 version).

One thing that did initially cause consternation was the Pacifica 2nd row. We've got three kids and the youngest is in a forward facing five-point seat still. In the Ody, the ability to slide the seats outward makes more room for a big car seat to fit on the center 2nd row. Due to the stow'n'go, you can't do this on the Pacifica and it meant a switch of the car seat to a narrower one to maintain outboard seat folding.

Overall the Pacifica is well thought out and the technology is fantasic. Now it's down to reliability and while some have had problems, it seems that the majority don't have serious issues!

John.
Bond007 likes this.
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balderic View Post
If you had it to do over, would you still buy the Pacifica?
Questions like that bring a lot of opinions tied to experiences. And there are bigger data. These data below made clear to me what van I wanted in 2017. Unsurprisingly they led me to certain cars all my adult life starting at 18 through my aged life at 55 now (mainly CR). In those years I've needed four cars, and they were driven pretty hard. They took me very often to my ski resort customers in the Sierra. Those passes are high, and I was often in a hurry with very changeable road conditions especially in winter. I knew the story of the Donner Party, and cell phones didn't exist back then (and spare tires did); I needed something ultra-reliable.

It's no secret that I bought a 2017 Sienna 'L'. It's the 'stripped' model with a lot standard. Below is a list of all its luxurious amenities.* And it doesn't have power sliding rear doors, the bane of minivans from seemingly all manufacturers.

If you knew the brick & mortar me, you'd know I don't brag, and if there's an opportunity for me to help someone I take it. I don't know you, and I care about your future. You can't really brag about a Sienna anyway; it's based on an older design (and yes I know, tried-and-true is a bad thing nowadays); it doesn't have separate screens in back for the kiddies, and kids need screens, I'd give tablets (Android ones with the memory card slots that can hold an entire music collection plus many movies, etc.) to the little ones if I was a parent since they can exit very hot or freezing interiors; and the Chrysler is more attractive and drives a bit better, it knocked "the ultimate swagger wagon" description from Sienna reviews.

Four lists based on consumer data:

1. Consumer Reports reliability rankings from consumer surveys:

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...they-stack-up/

2. The Lemon List: (Toyota produces a lemon once every 11.65M vehicles. The weight of that skewed the average by a lot, and is only a quarter of the next highest brand.)

Toyota Tops, Fiat Flops in AutoGuide?s 1st Annual Lemon List Ľ AutoGuide.com News

3. Long Term Quality Index (LTQI), 4. Maintenance/Repair Indexed Costs from CR:

http://www.dashboard-light.com/

It may seem weird that a random guy on the internet cares about you, and he does. This is a discussion I started about The Lemon List (I have the same handle over at AT. Cars have fascinated me since about 1964.)
--------------------------------------------------------
*aluminum wheels, backup camera, touch screen, steering wheel controls, bluetooth/usb, tri-zone auto climate with rear control, trip computer/mileage statistics, programmable lighting/convenience features, dash security light (but no alarm, shhh), cruise, etc. People pay upwards of $50K for higher models, but only get power doors (which have proven unreliable)/seats, leather (which I don't like), and sunroofs, as well as some small niceties like seat heaters ($21K for that stuff?), which I don't need in so. Calif. I'm an ancient guy who is frugal (remember that word? Understated is my middle name. Edit: My Sienna is gray, er, I mean it's "predawn gray mica.")
MajikMojo and Frank Nashorn like this.

Last edited by bradly1101; 12-27-2017 at 04:48 PM.
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 PM

And did you purposefully forget to add this report from Consumer reports?

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-satisfaction/
Frank Nashorn likes this.
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
And did you purposefully forget to add this report from Consumer reports?
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...-satisfaction/

No, but I tend to discount owner satisfaction rankings of new cars (especially the for profit, advertising JD Power crap). It's interesting that in CR, Teslas are highest in satisfaction and among the lowest in reliability. "Down the road" concerns take a backseat to whiz-bang features and "first on my block" stuff. Teslas are buttonless. I guess once you start using a tablet, eyes on the road are a low priority.

I love the Internet; for every opinion or data there is dissent. I get the need. I'm only trying to help.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads...#post-39148934

"Yes, I meant my comment to be only about the Tesla. It's hopefully just growing pains.

As a "green" person, I applaud Tesla owners' benevolence toward the environment, and its styling is certainly more attractive than, say, the Nissan Leaf, but it doesn't seem logical to discount other owners' reliability experiences in favor of having the latest, most stylish thing.

My needs are different, but even if they made an all electric minivan, I don't know if I could get over "range anxiety."

There's also the matter of Tesla's driver distraction factor. With so many commonly used controls only available on its giant touch screen, one must take their eyes off the road too much IMO. My car has a touch screen, but there are also physical knobs and buttons on the dash for climate control, sound, and a few other things that allow me to keep looking straight ahead.

"We found the [touch screen] system overall is quick and easy to use, but the potential for distraction is very real. The only physical controls in the cockpit—meaning those not in the touch-screen—are the shifter, turn signals, wiper, and hazard lights. Without physical buttons to feel for, you need to look away from the road to target the screen when wanting to make adjustments. And some functions require going two or three menu pages deep into the system."

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...rior/index.htm

You can't even turn on the lights without using the touch screen (although automatic lights mitigate this particular issue).

Edit: I just read an article about the Model III's steering wheel controls (CR didn't mention any on the Model S.) On the model III there are just two steering wheel buttons for navigating the touch screen. Most modern cars have more, like mine with dedicated up-down, left-right, enter, and "mode" for the computer, as well as phone answer-hang up, and full audio controls on the steering wheel despite being the most basic, cheapest model with zero options.

The article mentions Musk's desire for a "button-free" driving experience. It's slick looking, but unwise IMO.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/mo...ree-dashboard/

Response:

I agree you with. The push to fully touch screen cars makes zero sense to me. This is especially true for items that a driver has to control, such as lights, wipers, etc. I played around on a model S at a Tesla store, and I hated the touch screen interface. That alone would keep be from buying the car. But I guarantee that the addition of more and more touch screens in all cars will lead to more distraction accidents, **** a lot of people can't handle answering a flip phone without crashing.

Edit: fixed links
Frank Nashorn likes this.

Last edited by bradly1101; 12-28-2017 at 02:54 AM.
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 AM

Garage
Brand ratings aside, the Chrysler Pacifica specifically gets both average or better reliability scores, plus excellent owner satisfaction scores.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Ltd
2013 Volt
2015 F-150

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page